Lesser known stuff to do in New York City?

I love me some hokkers. :drool:
NYC hookers are pretty expensive.

There are a lot of good, inexpensive healthy places to eat in NYC. In general, while the cost of renting is ridiculous, the cost to eat is not particularly high compared to the rest of the country.

I don't know about much touristy stuff.

I did write this about NYC.

When I was a young man in NY I had many a fun night just roaming around with my friends & walking for hours & hours, this was usually in the summer though. We'd go to different hotels & talk to people hanging in the waiting room. Big hotels won't kick you out & generally bother you if you're not stirring up trouble. There was one place (I forgot which) with super fast elevators where if you jump you'll hang in the air for a few fractions of a second. Fun times.

Enjoy yourself! :)

are you talking from experience? :p
I called a few out of curiosity when I was a teenager & it was about $200/hr back then.

I've gotten massages (cheap, unlicensed, R&T ones) before but that was a decade or so ago & I morally cannot support that industry now anymore than I can support the factory farming meat industry.

I do think it should be legal of course but I personal wouldn't support it even if I could never get touched by a woman again.

NYC hookers are pretty expensive.

There are a lot of good, inexpensive healthy places to eat in NYC. In general, while the cost of renting is ridiculous, the cost to eat is not particularly high compared to the rest of the country.

I don't know about much touristy stuff.

I did write this about NYC.

When I was a young man in NY I had many a fun night just roaming around with my friends & walking for hours & hours, this was usually in the summer though. We'd go to different hotels & talk to people hanging in the waiting room. Big hotels won't kick you out & generally bother you if you're not stirring up trouble. There was one place (I forgot which) with super fast elevators where if you jump you'll hang in the air for a few fractions of a second. Fun times.

Enjoy yourself! :)

Elevators? Dude I am so going to NY....

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. ;)

Personally I find being easily amused a quality I'm glad to possess. I think I cultivated it as a youth without too many snazzy toys & further honed it away at school where we weren't allowed to have any possessions outside of books, school supplies & "7 and 7" (7 shirts, 7 pants + socks & underwear).

NYC, like just about everywhere (except maybe a ski slope), is nicer in the summer but there's always stuff to do relevant to your interest. Maybe join a bunch of meetup.com groups right before you visit. I don't know for sure but I imagine NYC probably has more meetup groups than almost anywhere else (except San Fran, Portland, Seattle, I bet).

How does London compare to Nwoo Ywork, smell-wise?

How does London compare to Nwoo Ywork, smell-wise?

What is that supposed to be?

And as for the smells, I've been on some streets(full of immigrants most the time) that just smell awful of all kinds of garbage, disgusting foods, and most likely the people themselves. I haven't even been to Manhattan all that much so I don't even know how bad neighborhoods there smell.

I've never been to a city that genuinely smells no matter where you go. I find it unlikely that New York is any different.

Whats the story with the UN building? I'd say it's worth visiting with all this Gaza hooplah.

The best way to find out is to get there without a plan. Highlight the areas you DON't want to visit, bring a metro/bus map, and then just wander around.

I have to visit there sometime. I've seen it from the outside about twice. It's impressive looking.

Yeah but that'd be kind of weird, you living in NY. That's like me going to the Guinness brewery. :D

The best way to find out is to get there without a plan. Highlight the areas you DON't want to visit, bring a metro/bus map, and then just wander around.

Absolutely, that's what I usually do and what I probably will. But I figured the you guys might know a few unknown gems.

Whats the story with the UN building? I'd say it's worth visiting with all this Gaza hooplah.
I've been in there. They have a lot of hoity toity paintings and symbolic gifts and stuff that are kind of interesting, particularly if you enjoy elaborate Chinese ivory carvings. They've also got some Hiroshima and Nagasaki artifacts. That all of course if you want to take the official tour. I'm pretty sure you can just hang around and enjoy seeing the various people wearing their national dress. Also, the UN cafeteria is one of the few public places that you can legally smoke indoors.

I went to the UN building when I was in NYC 4 years ago, and it was quite the tour. Since there was no sitting session in place, we got to go into all of the rooms of the UN. I dunno if there will be much of a tour available now, with the Gaza mess, but you may have a chance to see the thing I missed. And that was all of the flags of the member states flying outside. No UN meeting, no flags...

Even outside in the courtyard is pretty nice.

Check out the New York Public Library, its very nice, and free!

I went to NYC over xmas/new year, but I only got 2 days to spend in Manhattan. I did the touristy things on one day, and then my own random wandering on the other day. It's pretty much like London, only much, much bigger. I didn't bother with the museums -- tried 3 but they all had stupidly long lines that I wasn't willing to waste time in. TBH if I were to recommend "lesser known stuff to do in London", I'd have a hard time suggesting stuff, and I guess it's the same in New York.

Top Bottom