1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let all Civ4 players use firewalls on Internet multiplayer!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Myzenium, May 16, 2004.

?

Should every player in a Civ4 Internet game be able to enable his/her firewall?

1. Yes, using the Internet without a firewall is like crossing the highway with closed eyes.

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No, I don't think anyone wants to hack my computer.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I don't care since I don't do Internet multiplayer.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

My apologies to any poster who thought of this first. The forum search engine is disabled.

I remember feeling frustrated when I read in the C3C manual that only one player in an Internet game may use his firewall, while all the others must disable theirs.

A firewall is a necessity for PCs with Windows OS connected to the Internet. Without one, your computer is especially vulnerable to malicious people and their hacking programs.

(Firewalls aren't a silver bullet. Virus-detecting software is helpful too. Oh, and all you people who might claim that Macs are harder to hack, I must say: IMHO, Macs aren't hacked as much because 90% of computer users use PCs. If you wanted to make a virus, worm, or Trojan to hurt as many computers as possible, you would make it compatible with Windows. Why hack an unpopular OS?)

Nearly every popular multiplayer game on the market today allows use of a software firewall while playing. Why should Civ3 or Civ4 be different? It may be too late to recode C3C, but Civ4 should have it.

2. Paasky

Paasky Good News Everyone!

I don't understand why someone can't play civ on the net with a firewall? I just let my firewall program (Norton/Zonealarm) and I've never had any problems.

My friend can never host a game, on his old or new computer, but on the same network, I can host a game (with thier laptop)... wierd...

3. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I could play or host with my firewall up.

4. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

You must be pulling my leg. :blush:

Okay, I read the Readme file for C3C, and found the following text:

I guess I misread that the first time. I'm sorry for posting a junk topic. (Now, I gotta make plans to play an Internet C3C game... :lol: )

5. pirke

pirke Prince

I don't think the game should be shipped with a firewall. If you want one, configure it good, if you can't do it, then don't run it.

The use of a good antivirus program is worth much more than a firewall.