Let's design Tamar of Georgia.

Abraxis

Rather than continue my subversive and clandestine campaign to raise awareness and support for the Holy Righteous King Tamar, I decided to take matters into my own hands and design them myself. I hope there are Firaxis devs around. If so, you have my full consent to delay the release of the game as long as it takes to implement The Mighty Kingdom of Georgia as outlined bellow.

Short of this, I think it will fall on us to implement this civ into the game. I've been doing some research into Georgia and compiled some short notes (which I'll include here) I thought were both significant to this culture, and seemed as though they could translate well into the mechanics we have in Civ.

I think I've managed to translate their themes into the mechanics of the game in such a way as to preserve their identity, leaving out specific values for balance. I've also tried taking into consideration the personality and archetypes of other civs in order to give Georgia some interesting dynamics when in game with the other personalities, as well as to hopefully avoid traits the unannounced civs may have.

Tell me what you think! Suggest some tweaks of your own, or try and design them from scratch yourself. If we can't get Firaxis to add them I will mod them in myself with the input from you guys here.

Notes on Georgia:

Spoiler :
  • Famous for frequent pilgrimage to the Holy sepulchre in Jerusalem without having to pay tribute to Muslim ruler’s, who’s lands they crossed.
  • Ally of European crusaders in struggle against seljuk.
  • “King” was adopted by David IV after shedding his honorary Byzantine titles in a kind of cultural coming of age separation from their stronger ally -whom had previously fostered their successful growth among their their Muslim neighbours, The Eastern Roman Empire.
  • King David built Gelati Monastery, a UNESCO site, and cultural/intellectual centre for Georgia which employed famous theologians, philosophers and scientists -many attracted from other Orthodox sites abroad, including Constantinople.
  • David wrote a famous hymn about his redemption, his heir Demetrius added to it, it is still sung to this day.
  • Demetrius I Stole the gates of Ganja to store in Gelatin Monastery in one of many victories against surrounding Muslims.
  • Grew significantly wealthy off the pillage and plunder of defeated attackers, including one famous event of chasing down a routed force for days with cavalry to pillage a significant amount of treasure. To the point even peasants were said to be as nobles of other realms.
  • George successfully took a more aggressive stance against Seljuk neighbours.
  • George made efforts dynasties with Eastern Roman Empire.
  • Kingdom thrived until it’s peek under Tamar, after George III.
  • Tamar held against Turkish onslaught, pacified internal dissent, and prevented a coup led by her Russian husband.
  • Tamar put an end to torture and capital punishment.
  • Tamara Supported the founding of the Empire of Trebizond, which she claimed to be punishment for Byzantine confiscation of gold gifts to monasteries at Antioch and Mount Athos.
  • Georgia grew strong enough to involve itself in the protection of monastic centres in the Holy lands.
  • She had enough influence to request the return of confiscated church property from Saladin.
  • Tamar outbid Byzantium to obtain religious relics from Saladin.
  • Georgia continued to generate wealth from tribute and pillaging her hostile neighbours
  • Georgia continued to glorify humanistic ideals of chivalry, friendship and courtly love.
  • George IV fell to Mongol invasion.
  • Queen Rusudan fled west, abandoning the eastern nobles who made peace with mongols in exchange for tribute -splitting Georgia, and eventually acknowledging great kahn as overlord.
  • George V stopped paying tribute, reclaimed borders, re-established influence with Empire of Trebizond, secured free passage for pilgrims to Holy Lands, and re-established Georgian Monasteries in Holy Lands.

Notes on Tamar

Spoiler :
  • Rose to power despite significant internal opposition to her rule.
  • Tamar was extremely dedicated to protecting all pilgrims to the Holy lands.
  • Portrayed by Georgians to be a gentle and saintly woman ruling a country constantly at war.
  • Dedicated to collecting Holy artifacts.
  • Dedicating to supporting foreign monasteries and protecting pilgrims.

General Themes

• Georgia was a relatively small nation surrounded by religious enemies. Despite its size, Georgia held against all onslaught. Even pushing out, liberating vassalized cities and establishing tributaries. They were also known for maintaining strong alliances, defending Holy interests in foreign lands, and developing their own unique culture.
  • Georgian Rulers claimed decent from David -whom famously defeated Goliath. This theme is carried by their position and success of being a small isolated Christian power among a much larger Muslim dominated region.
  • Georgia was heavily invested with protecting the integrity of their faith outside of their borders.

Civilization

Colours Deep Navy blue with gold border (As in above image)

Great Eastern Monastary: Unique tile improvement, one per city, provides science culture and faith with applicable adjacency bonuses, also contains a relic slot. Can be built in City States providing both them and Georgia with the yields. A road will also be generated between the City State Monastary and Georgia’s closest city.

Spoils of war: Unique ability, Georgia receives a gold bonus for every enemy unit killed (or perhaps just every victory) from a competing religion in their territory. Georgia receives bonus gold when pillaging enemy religion’s tile improvements.
Progeny of David: Unique ability, All units receive combat bonuses against competing religions with greater military power.

Patron of the faith: Leader ability, King Tamar receives bonus emissaries to each city state in which she has a Monastary.

Defender of Holy Antiquity: Personality, Tamar is envious of competing religions with more holy relics than her and she will aggressively Defend city states with Monasteries from attack.

Tamar's agenda should be to attack weak civs, since she expanded the Kingdom greatly.

She should also dislike people not following the same religion as her. She should like people following the same religion as her who produce much faith.

Keep in mind the point isn't exclusively to reflect the civilization, but rather to add an interesting an worthwhile addition to the game -in the context of what's already there, with the themes of the chosen Civ.

Attacking civilizations weaker than her is already taken by Egypt. There will already be a penalty I'm sure to competing religions. Tamar was not that aggressive toward others simply for having different beliefs, and in fact her dealings with Saladin seemed awfully civil.
Defending her monasteries is more in line with her personality and will indirectly create a point of contention as she vies for control of them.

If we want to increase the tension there, we could for example make it so she only receives yields from city states that follow her religion and hates the owners of religions that have a majority in city states where she has monasteries.

Hail King Tamar. Idk if they would be OP or UP but i like how your uniques sound.

Yeah I really wish one of our modders want to bring Her Holiness Majesty Queen Tamar to the game

Top Bottom