Let's Make a CFC-OT US Presidential Election Map 2012!

I'm actually sort of nervous about militia violence at this point. I'm willing to live in hope and give everyone the benefit of the doubt for the time being, though.

MisterCooper is probably deep in the mountains planning a military coup. I'm still deciding if this guess is hyperbole.
Well, he mentioned cyanide pills at one point so you're not into hyperbole territory yet.

Well, he mentioned cyanide pills at one point so you're not into hyperbole territory yet.

He did :sad: ?

A lot of right-wingers really do think the murder squads are coming to round up Christians. Surely he didn't do anything did he?

He was irritating sometimes, but I definitely don't want to see him harmed ( self-harm or otherwise. )

I'm a little worried about MisterCooper actually.

I am too. :(

I really would like to hear him say hello just so that I know we only have to worry about the next four years and not the next seven.

MisterCooper is probably deep in the mountains planning a military coup. I'm still deciding if this guess is hyperbole.

MisterCouper?

I doubt it. I have lived in the American south for long enough to have some understanding of their language and culture. He acts like he is from there. He is probably coming to terms with the reality of four more years. It feels - well it feels the same way you probably felt about four more years of W.

I'd be wary about politicizing the election outcome too much. This is especially so for the winners. We have a terrible problem in the U.S. with tribal-like partisanship, so there's no reason to agitate that wound needlessly. It's a great way to alienate the losers, which is exactly what we need to avoid if want to make some political progress in the future.

Thanks. :)

I'm actually sort of nervous about militia violence at this point. I'm willing to live in hope and give everyone the benefit of the doubt for the time being, though.

You saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average tank by over 300 points today as conservatives sold their stocks to buy canned food, gasoline, ammunition, generators, and tinfoil hats. :lol:

While conservatives feel very bitter about the results, I believe they will accept them and get on with life. This is especially the case for evangalical Christian conservatives. Here I will copy out from Romans Chapter 13, Verses 1 to 7: (I am using HCSB for ease of language.)

Spoiler :

Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority exept from God, and those that exist are instituted by God. So then, the one who resists the authority is opposing God's command, and those who oppose it will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad.

Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do good and you will have its approval. For government is God's servant to you for good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, because it does not carry the sword for no reason. For government is God's servant, an avenger that brings wrath on the one who does wrong. Therefore, you must submit, not only because of wrath, but also because of your conscience.

And for this reason you pay taxes, since the authorities are God's public servants, continually attending to these tasks. Pay your obligations to everyone: Taxes to those you owe taxes, tolls to those you owe tolls, respect to those you owe respect, and honor to those you owe honor.

This was taken from a letter written by St. Paul to First Century Christians living in Rome. My source indicates that it was written in 57AD, when Nero was Caesar. (EDIT added a source)

Although I was wrong about the election prediction, I am standing firm by my Thanksgiving prediction: The turkey that got pardoned will be named Big Bird.

Yea, Obama's good but he's no Nero.

So, I've been putting this off for a little while. I posted my sun will come up tomorrow, and we'll get over the election soon enough (whether you are ecstatic or horrified). I'd also like to thank Dreadnought (haven't seen him recently though) for being a fair map poster for the last few weeks. Also, VRWC, utgoye, and Harv for coming back and being good sports.

So, a short post-mortem on my side: I'm not a Democrat or seriously ecstatic about Obama's win (no really, I know I look like Alps, but I swear I'm not!), but was fairly relieved to have him win largely because I have no clue what kind of Supreme Court justices Romney would nominate, and seriously disagree with the right-wing on key issues. My electoral map was actually more favorable to the Republicans than what actually shook down. I guess I should learn not to go out on a limb against Nate Silver either. ;) The balance in Congress hasn't really changed, so the real impact here will be in the state ballot initiatives (and I'm still crossing my fingers for Puerto Rico).

It was a nasty campaign, but we've had worse (1800 springs to mind). Its importance might only be that Obama's first term legislation is not immediately repealed and more gridlock will ensue. If Obama manages to place another Justice in the Supreme Court, or possibly two, then his impact will be seen for a generation in the suddenly not-as-right-wing Roberts Court. We'll have to wait and see, and probably get into more nitpicky quote wars in the meantime. See you all around the forums!

So, I've been putting this off for a little while. I posted my sun will come up tomorrow, and we'll get over the election soon enough (whether you are ecstatic or horrified). I'd also like to thank Dreadnought (haven't seen him recently though) for being a fair map poster for the last few weeks. Also, VRWC, utgoye, and Harv for coming back and being good sports.

So, a short post-mortem on my side: I'm not a Democrat or seriously ecstatic about Obama's win (no really, I know I look like Alps, but I swear I'm not!), but was fairly relieved to have him win largely because I have no clue what kind of Supreme Court justices Romney would nominate, and seriously disagree with the right-wing on key issues. My electoral map was actually more favorable to the Republicans than what actually shook down. I guess I should learn not to go out on a limb against Nate Silver either. ;) The balance in Congress hasn't really changed, so the real impact here will be in the state ballot initiatives (and I'm still crossing my fingers for Puerto Rico).

It was a nasty campaign, but we've had worse (1800 springs to mind). Its importance might only be that Obama's first term legislation is not immediately repealed and more gridlock will ensue. If Obama manages to place another Justice in the Supreme Court, or possibly two, then his impact will be seen for a generation in the suddenly not-as-right-wing Roberts Court. We'll have to wait and see, and probably get into more nitpicky quote wars in the meantime. See you all around the forums!

I thank you for your work in making this thread actually worth reading for the duration of its existence! Look forward to doing it again in 4 years! (Maybe I'll get a bit more involved with the analysis that time!)

Also, VRWC, utgoye, and Harv for coming back and being good sports.

Thanks. :) For the record, while I get intensely partisan around election time, that's all it is, partisan rah rah. Democrats are not our enemies. They're just confused Americans and we need to embrace them and lead them to the light. We'll have another chance in four years and maybe we won't blow it next time.

;)

:hatsoff:

I'm a little sad to see the end of this thread. It was quite the ride! We sure saw some ups and downs throughout it all. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think we came pretty close to objective accuracy in many cases.

Maybe by 2016 we'll all be as good as Silver. ;)

In spite of some cases, I think we came together and made some pretty bipartisan observations about the election; hopefully we are all still here three and a half years from now for the next experiment.

In spite of some cases, I think we came together and made some pretty bipartisan observations about the election; hopefully we are all still here three and a half years from now for the next experiment.
That's what kept me following this thread. It was nice to read people talking about politics without being at each other's throats immediately. So thanks to all participants :goodjob:

Top Bottom