1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play: Deity BC Space: Strategies from a 10 year veteran

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by WastinTime, Sep 10, 2016.

1. diegobueno

diegobueno Chieftain

tnx =D

2. MrGrandiose

MrGrandiose Chieftain

Talk about going easy mode ;)

3. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

MarbleStart Turnset T161-170

Not expecting any action. I'll just get Colossus and HangingGardens out.

Random Event : Willy does a good deed and we get +3 diplo with each other. He's now Pleased with me. However, he also just enter war prep mode. :think: He can plot war at Pleased, so I could be the target. Well, I was looking for something to do with my army. And if he DoW's me then I can can make peace and easily still trade tech. :devil: But I don't want any surprises, so I better beg for gold since he is Pleased so he can't DoW right away.

T162
    Mansa is at Construction(25)
    Willy takes OrgRel (hopefully he will spread more Buddha)

2 forests grow (Lisbon and Paris) :banana:. This is a random occurrence that is not a 'random event'

I settle my 2nd Island (finally):
    bpt jumps from 318 to 346 because I had thirteen +1 trade rts. Now I only have 4.

Mansa captures a Lincoln city. Not sure how I feel about that.
    I didn't want it (no food), but I don't really want Lincoln to die. He has 1 city left.
    Mansa = Construction(20)

T164
    Aesthetics not really interested in these wonders yet, but I think I'll jump on the Great Library. (edit: :hammer2: forgot it requires a library, so I can't build this everywhere.)

T165
    T166

:devil:
    A couple cities are in a position to whip Colossus. Instead of 90h base, you only get 45h :( but 45 x 275% = 123:gold:. I suppose getting 123 gold for 1 population is on par with whipping a quechua w/forge. Those are 24h + 82g which you could think of as 148g.
    I'll wait til the last turn, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.

T167
    Literature

Whip Colossus in 2 cities
    Chop 3 in Atlanta

T169
    Colossus
    complete

Out of cash. I have to move the slider to 60% for 1t cus cash doesn't come in til next turn.

T170
    ~4000 :gold:
    (breaking for the day.)
    I plan to mass-settle 6-7 more cities and finish HangingG.

24 cities
    385bpt
    -343gpt

End of Turnset

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  4. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Is the Random Events option a net gain for the Space Colony Victory goal? I'm trying to understand the reasoning for including this option. In my more recent experiences in using the Random Events option, I've gotten exclusively negative events (I had to pay to nullify all those bad events). Does anyone get net positive events from the Random Event option?

5. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Hmm.. what about that health event? (would it give impact for early Space? gives possibilty to trade away 2 AH food for gold) Or that Golden Age event during war? could 1 extra golden age be the real difference? :) early game otherwise is just "replant forest, repair road, oh, barbs stack... another slave revolt... and stuff.. hard to say total revenue..

6. WastinTime

I've always thought of random events as a net positive, but the real reason I play them is cus this is a game, and it's fun to have something happen. Suddenly I have new possibilities with Willy. Begging for gold--but I might even be able to get him to Friendly which is a huge advantage.
    Inflation event is usually good for Space Race. Not sure if it will help me with such a fast game.

Quests are also good (and fun). I currently have Horse Whisperer active.
    IIRC, There are two quests which give a free Golden Age as a reward :eek: I wanna say "Guns/Butter" and "Sports League". Also a free GreatProphet is a reward. I'd like to get "Blessed Sea" before I settle all my islands, but I'd need to take a religion to have a chance to trigger it.

7. WastinTime

In case you missed it, I continuously edit my turnset posts until I find a good stopping point.
    My current turnset here is at T170 with ~4000 Colossus :gold: just in. 385 bpt

Gold will only last about 9-10 turns :(
    I've got Moai planned for T185
    I either need to live with ~5-6 turns of 0% research, or rush Moai somehow, or get 2000:gold: somewhere else. I have no conquest planned :(

It might be a good time to stop research after Music anyway since I'm waiting on Construction, CoL, Calendar. Maybe a good anarchy time? I could take a religion? and/or OrgRel?
    religion: problem is it will anger too many people. I need a couple trades first.
    OrgRel: problem here is that it's 3t of anarchy. I wouldn't make sense to switch to it unless I have other civic changes. HeredRule, Rep, Bureau, Merc are all not available yet.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  8. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

You were considering an early GA with civics switch earlier on, if I remember correctly. Is that plan scrapped?

9. WastinTime

I'm currently planning to start it a bit earlier than I normally would. Normal for me is to start it when all GP farms are ready ~T220. So T200-210 is where I'm at rt now. I couldn't convince myself that really early (with no MoM) was worth it.

10. WastinTime

MarbleStart Turnset T171 - 178
    (Music, Hanging Gardens)

winefarm destroyed.
    Random bad event, but I think I was done working that tile until the Winery comes along.

Settle 4 more cities. At size 1, they do not pay for themselves like the last city did. That's because there are no more +1 trade routes to bump up to +2.

28 cities
    bpt
    -420 gpt :cry:

I don't have the forests to support this kind of deficit. My only hope is to keep whipping and stick to the WonderBreadEconomy rule of putting minimal hammers into every build. I wasn't expecting it to go so high so fast. I wish B&S map had the option for Flat wrap.
    On the bright side(?), my capital is maxed out on maintenance at -8gpt.

Forest
    grows at Hamburg

175 Music
    (I could have rushed Music last turn if I really, really wanted to build culture. I will build culture, but it's not that urgent.

I set research to 0% for now since there is nothing to research that I don't hope to get free.

:devil: This next move might show my obsessiveness :blush:.
    Peter has had a small bit of gold, but I didn't want to trade him anything cus he's worst enemy of Darius and Mansa. (-diplo hit)
    But, if you make a balanced trade, they won't be mad. So I check every turn to see what he'll offer for some likely techs. He hasn't gotten a new tech in a long time, so I check Alpha. He offers 50 of his total 50:gold:. Then I check Masonry. same. Then he only offers 35 for IronWorking. I take that trade. I also get credit for "you shared tech with us" which adds up and eventually gives +1 diplo.

Scouting...

I spot a critical island that will ensure I circumnavigate next turn. :goodjob:
    :devil: hot tip: always go both directions around the globe. There is usually at least 1-2 tile vertical strip of ocean that you will never cross with a wb or galley.

:devil: I also spot a hut. I need to keep Peter and Liz away from that. This is one of the main reasons I didn't play Standard size (for cheaper tech costs). Large will produce islands large enough (20 tiles) to get huts.

Mansa Construction(4)

I figured I'd be at 0% research waiting for Mansa, but Liz comes up with Monarchy +30:gold: (I give Aes + Math)

Settle city #29

Mansa
    is finally approaching Lincoln's last city. I can't let him die yet. I give Aes to Mansa for peace w/Linc + 250:gold:

I start Feudalism

I get a bright idea (1 turn late) to go back to 0% research. Instead of Feudal right away, I think I'd rather get Engineering (after Mansa finishes Construction in a few turns) Trebs and +1 road movement is nice. This will delay Guilds, but I don't have HorsebackRiding yet anyway.

Peter settles next to the hut and pops it :mad:
    Settle city #30

Wait, What the...What?

Peter has somehow just gotten Compass.
    He has 8 cities (most of any AI) and I was wondering why he's not teching anything. I guess he was working on compass the whole time. But it still doesn't make any sense that I just traded him IronWorking 2 turns ago. IW is required to even start Compass. Even if he got a random event? to give some free beakers to Compass, he wouldn't get the whole thing.
    No great people born, so he couldn't bulb it. Strange. I can't explain it.
    (edit: omg, I forgot I just wrote Peter popped my Hut last turn (for free Compass obviously. Thx, @Pollina)

I don't want Compass for about 100 turns (ruins the Biology bulb), so I guess I'll keep him alive. Maybe I'll steal it from him? He could use it to bribe someone into war on me after I DoW him. Oh well, at least then compass will get passed around.

T178

Hanging Gardens
    on 30 cities.

Random (bad) event. 100% food loss in a city or pay 20:gold:

Crap! :mad: I just learned something the hard way. My size 1 city is still size 1 after Hanging Gardens :eek:
    My crappy Fur city has no food so I was working the ice/Fur.
    I had a galley at 10/100 so I could whip it back to size 1. No galley for me. Apparently, after the free pop from HG, the city starved instead of working 2 coastal tiles.

30 cities.
    552 bpt -482gpt

That number is a bit exaggerated since I plan to whip a lot now that I got 30 29 more population.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  11. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Is it worth it to build a scout, put it on a galley and use it to pop huts for the improved odds?

12. WastinTime

I should have had a scout (or someone) on that galley, but not for improved odds on huts. Just for revealing map. I disbanded my scout long ago when I was in a critical cash situation (before Alpha).

Scouts only get you slightly more gold from huts if you get gold at all. They don't improve odds of, say, Astronomy :mischief:

13. Folket

Folket Deity

I'm pretty sure scouts improve odds of Astronomy since it removes the chance of hostile villagers.

14. WastinTime

hmm... explain.
    "no barbs" game option removes the chance of hostile villagers for any unit.
    I wasn't aware that a scout had a special effect.

15. Folket

Folket Deity

I did not realize you played with no barbs. If that is the case then I do not think scouts help.

16. Pollina

Pollina Emperor

Part of me thinks you are joking :D

17. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I was about to post the same thing as Pollina while I was reading the turnset report. There was one action (Settle city #30) between WT noticing that Peter popped the hut and his confusion over how Peter learned Compass. In the time it took him to type "Settle city #30", he forgot about the hut! :D

18. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Is it possible to add your current gold reserve, and the gpt @ 0 % research?
    So we can get a indication on how healthy your economy is? :)

19. WastinTime

:hammer2: Free Compass from the hut! I didn't make that connection :blush: I usually don't check the tech screen until the end of the turn, so it was probably an hour or more later.

Good to know you two are still paying attention.

Imploding likes this.
  20. WastinTime

Yea, it's in the screenshot, but no one can read that. I need to make better pics.

At 0% research:

before HangingGardens
    -7gpt

after HG, and after whipping some...
    2130:gold: @ +43gpt