1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play: Deity BC Space: Strategies from a 10 year veteran

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by WastinTime, Sep 10, 2016.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I just looked up bulb opportunities for the GM (in case I decide 3 bulbs in better than another Golden Age.)
    Anyone know what use a GM could do at this point in the game?
    Spoiler :
    There is only one tech with higher priority than Fascism, which I will never get.
    Spoiler :
    It's Industrialism. So once I get that tech, the GM is useless for bulbing, and trade mission is already useless.
    The GS's are much more useful. FiberOptics and Computers probably. It's good that these are on the way to Fusion and not after Fusion.

update: tip from kaitzilla: satellites ruin bulbing by opening up Laser. Shouldn't be a problem since I'm doing that so late.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. ikotomi

ikotomi Prince

Is the trade mission completely useless? I lost track of what your maintenance is, but does it even pay for one turn where you wouldn't need to feed the strike monster?

Are you completely done with corporation spread? Maybe rush buy a lot of stuff in one turn (probably not worth without Cristo redentor)

Kaitzilla likes this.
  3. WastinTime

I think I have to treat the strike monster as a beloved pet and keep feeding him.

My maint. is around -7000, but it's going up fast. Sushi has just started to spread 5 turns ago.
    Both corps will continue to spread as I settle 50+ new cities (I'm over 90 now).
    And on top of that, I have dozens of sushi to connect. Each one raises expenses a lot.
    As I grab Liz's cities, the colony maint of that continent goes up exponentially.
    I expect -20,000gpt soon. :eek:

And think about the trade-off. 1 turn of feeding the strike monster is another ~10 units. That's only 1000h, or maybe 1600h (privateers).
    Compare that to the loss of bulbing Industrialism.

4. jamarsa

jamarsa Chieftain

Someone reading? You must be joking, I'm sure there are lots here like me that look into this thread at least daily! :popcorn:

AbsintheRed and Macksideshow like this.
  5. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

This is the most viewed thread in S&T in 8 or so years (since the release of Civ V). I think it's safe to say someone is reading. :lol: I know I am! :coffee:

Fish Man likes this.
  6. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Daily isn't enough of a fix. :)

Fish Man and AbsintheRed like this.
  7. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

If you can wait to get Cristo before golden age ends, trade mission and 1 turn of universal suffrage can rush buy some granaries in new sushi cities.

8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Oops, I missed your comment.
    I agree!

Also, I think Satellites ruins Great Scientists because it open up The Laser once you have Plastics.
    Goodbye Fission or Fusion bulbs!!

And Fiber Optics ruins Kremlin by obsoleting it.

Late game great people are a headache.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Hurk!
    Corps gone wild.

What's a Courthouse, does it taste good?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Fish Man likes this.
  10. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Powerfaker and I were writing about GE hurry build, not hurry research. GEs hurry research like other GPS—based on empire pop. GSs get a 2x bonus in the calculation, which I again don’t recall the exact details.

11. Anysense

Anysense King

@Lennier He, probably, meant "the research on GE hurry", that is hurrying buildings with GE, not bulbing. That's what I thought, anyway.

12. WastinTime

yea, like Anysense said, I mean thx for the research he did on the GE hurry build. Confusing. I'll edit my post.

13. WastinTime

:mad: A cannon (that I transported all the way to Liz) get's disbanded! :mad:
    :gripe: It ate all the triremes I just built recently, and I thought it would take more quechua next.

I think I failed to upgrade it. Maybe that would have saved it?

14. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

It probably would!

Taking hammer cost difference in combination with that random addition of 1000, I make it almost exactly 1/6 of cases a cannon would get eaten before a quechua, if all were outside borders and all had the same XP and promotion level. But presumably they wouldn't all be the same level, and it looks like there's just enough potential in the math to drown out the random 1000 and get a deterministic outcome.

In the game I'm guessing your strike monster sacrificial quechuas are mostly from garbage cities, so perhaps zero XP? Then the hammer cost difference (425) plus adjustments for level and XP difference would be enough to guarantee cannon survival depending on how well promoted you could get the cannons. Vs 0XP quechuas:
    • One level 3 cannon would be expected to die per 60 quechuas.
    • At level 4 it would be close to guaranteed survival depending on precise XP level but only minuscule chance of cannon death anyway.
    • At level 5 the cannons would be guaranteed to live.
    But all that is assuming, as you remarked, that you'd remembered to do the cannon promotion, because it's quite a large factor!

15. WastinTime

I'm seeing too many pirate ships in my future. I've further examined the strike monster to look for cheaper ways to keep my army and workboats while I'm still settling more cities/seafood. I'm building Triremes while I can before Astronomy, but that's only in island cities and they are not my best--often without mining inc. I'm playing with fire. Making just enough to survive the next turn, and as I reported, I even lost a cannon mixed in with my small stack of emergency quechua that were supposed to protect that cannon.

Here's what I need to incorporate.
    1) Get inland cities involved by building explorers longbows. They are eaten before workboats outside my culture, and workers/execs inside culture. And most importantly, longbows (neutral land) go before knights, etc. (in my territory)
    2) so get all workers inside my culture.
    3) make sure execs get a ride all the way into my culture every turn if they have to cross the ocean.
    4) have settlers on my transports. Note: it is not good enough to just move empty transports into my culture. They need a settler
    5) move my army (briefly) inside my culture.

#5 is the one I have to work around with special timing assuming I'm not done with Liz and I'm not done messing with vassals.
    So I'll be chugging along, making Privateers at the same pace they're being eaten. The question is, when can I take a turn off, not build any, and let a stack of explorers die? Assume dozens of explorers are already stacked up in neutral land, lightly seasoned, not too spicy, the way the strike monster likes them.

It's turn X. At the beginning of this turn I've just completed say 10+ privateers like I do every turn. I attack and capture a city, so I can expect some of my attackers to be still out in neutral land next turn. Not a problem because I'll move the privateers to be eaten in neutral water.
    This turn is the time to NOT finish any privateers.

Turn X+1: no new privateers, but 10+ existing are sacrficed. Now all military moves into the newly captured city (or in my borders somewhere). If I think I'll heal or otherwise keep everyone home next turn, do NOT finish any privateers this turn either.

Turn X+2: 10 or 11 explorers are eaten.

Summary:
    Meet the first 4 criteria always. Then, to save on costs:
    - Don't complete privateers if you know your military will all be home in 2 turns.
    - Complete privateers if you know you want to be on the move again in 2 turns.

Update: fail: While explorers do protect workboats, they do not save my military hiding inside my culture. I must build longbows and put them outside my culture.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  16. WastinTime

T291

I'm finally going to complete IronWorks next turn.
    I set up failgold so I will get one city (processed after IW) to pay off T292 and then another city (processed before the IW city) will pay T293.
    Very elegant, but not really ideal since I'm in OrgRel right now and should be using missionary gold. It will have to do cus I don't want to delay IW any longer.

fyi, corp spread went up from 50:gold: to 51:gold: Not always insignificant. I never researched why.

17. WastinTime

T292

I get my first coal plant. :banana:
    That's:
    289 Assembly Line (start a factory)
    290 whip factory
    291 build coal plant in 1t with overflow :)

18. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Chieftain

Are you researching rifling yet?
    If you're counting on failgold from Chichen going obsolete => In my last game I discovered I got paid after an AI completed the wonder, not after completing the tech. For a while the invested hammers went missing (lost I thought at first)

I don't play with Buffy though, so you may wanna check if it's different for you.

Wow, 10 units already? So..... you will be losing ± 800 units over the next 40 turns. Not a biggie with 100+ citites I suppose.....:king:

......And that's my bet on launch turn (T332).... should we make a poll for this??

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  19. WastinTime

Chichen is long gone. IIRC, I captured it from Vicky.

I'm trickling some beakers into Rifling, but I don't want to finish it. I suppose the only real reason is that I could get the Guns/Butter random event yet. Otherwise, I'm just trying not to obsolete cheap stuff like longbows--for no reason I can think of rt now.

I'll be at 10+ sac'd units in a few turns--about the time I might consider doing the explorer thing. I have a lot of settlers to make and load on transports--all cities are busy with factory/coal/trireme.

A poll would be fun.

20. WastinTime

I'm about to roll from 294 to 295 (tomorrow) I believe I will DoW Liz. Finally some action!
    It hurts to go so long without learning a new tech.