Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Xiongu

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Yangshoa

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

Acularius

King
I'm planning on trying out a "Let's play on the Giant Earth Map", for C2C, because I think GEM needs some publicity and screen time as well as it sounds like fun.

I've already drawn out a list of nations I'll probably play, but I will put it to a vote on who I will actually sit down and play as.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0W17g230cb2

Da voice.

Now. Dah List.
Assyria
Babylonia
Byzantines
Celtic
French
German
Greek
Hittite
Hunnic
India
Israeli
Korean
Mongolians
Persia Tiebreaker - WON
Portugal
Roman Tiebreaker- LOST
Russian
Spanish
Sumeria
Vikings
Xiongnu (Xiōngnú)
Yangshoa (Yǎngsháo)

With sound. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xqL1B153iu

Now, the sound thing is essentially what you will be listenng to. So I thought I would drop it in and see how you guys will mind listening to it. Bah ahahahahaha.

Again the above list is not the FINAL list, but I have 25 options in the poll and these nations stuck out as me as probably the most entertaining while showing most of the GEM scenario as well as showcasing C2C features.

Edit: You have multiple choices, choose wisely.

Persia is the winner.
So the Let's Play will focus on them.
The first videos will essentially be 'pilot' episodes where I test my video editing skills.
The first set will involve no Post Processing (no voice over after I captured the game play)
Then I'll do post production where I make commentary as I play.

Episode 1 Part 1
Episode 1 Part 2
Episode 1 Part 3

Although I forgot to mention it, I'll close the polls after work on Saturday and hopefully release something on Monday, as Sunday is Canada Day and I'll probably not be sober.

Just an FYI - I'd kinda like to vote AGAINST a european civ (cept the 'edge' ones like Viking maybe) because the hunting is very slim in that environemnt due to Civ density in the area. As a result i doesn't show off a major C2C mechanic very well.

To be fair, a lot of formerly open areas, South India, Tibet, South China, Urals and a fair bit of Africa has been taken up now so a lot of my former hunting grounds will be taken up.

Unless I turn on Raging barbarians and then there animals enough for all. (How well does the AI handle raging barbs now?)
Granted, 9 times out of 10, the Russians and Xiongnu will probably kill off a couple of hunters/trackers. I'll send them out there though.

Unless I turn on Raging barbarians and then there animals enough for all. (How well does the AI handle raging barbs now?)
Granted, 9 times out of 10, the Russians and Xiongnu will probably kill off a couple of hunters/trackers. I'll send them out there though.

I'm not sure how this works out in the game, but there is an option (in the A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml) to modify the spawn rate of animals, maybe if you turn that up you could increase hunting opportunities without increasing barbarians too much. If it works that way this might be a very useful setting for such a crowded map like GEM.

I voted Israel, it is reasonably isolated, and has plenty of expansion options.

Israel isn't all that isolated, surrounded by all by Hittites, Arabians, Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians and Sumerians. Not including their neighbours like the Byzantines and the Persians.
Still, all these choices look fun, not voting against Israel. :p

Egypt is a nice start too btw, still close to the action of middle eastern/central europe but has large free african rain forest and desert to hunt available.

Also your voice sounds really pleasant - reminds me a bit of Etho (so as always, we just blame Canada :D). Looking forward to the Let's Play :)

Egypt is a nice start too btw, still close to the action of middle eastern/central europe but has large free african rain forest and desert to hunt available.

Also your voice sounds really pleasant - reminds me a bit of Etho (so as always, we just blame Canada :D). Looking forward to the Let's Play :)
:cry:
I'm Canadian though.
Either way, at the moment, Persia and Rome were tied the last I saw.

I meant we blame Canada for the fact that you have such a pleasant voice :D Canadians are awesome

Ah, well then... that's fine with me. :D

Granted every time I see 'Blame Canada', that South Park song pops in my head. XD

Also from before, with Philipschall's changes, Africa has Swahili in it, and the Congo are well... place in the Congo area. :p

What happens if Rome and Persia stay tied? Tie Breaker?

I'll probably use a random number generator.
Generate a set of numbers between one number and another, the most wins.

Edit:
What do people feel about the use of 'Raging Barbarians'?

It does make for a tougher game, but it also makes hunting ridiculously easy once you get someone trained well enough.
I was just curious on thoughts and opinions on this one option as I feel pretty confident with the other options.
I'm also going to turn off field commanders as I think I saw Koshling mention at one point that the AI does not seem to handle them very well yet. (Which is fine, because they can get ridiculously broken incredibly fast in the hands of an average player who uses them well enough and doesn't risk them to many adverse situations.)

Never used that option but that's because I'm not a fan of barbarians in my games. Just wondering if this would give a big (promotion) advantage early in the game to civs who border open land in comparison to civs who are "landlocked" between other civs

I'll probably use a random number generator.
Generate a set of numbers between one number and another, the most wins.

Edit:
What do people feel about the use of 'Raging Barbarians'?

It does make for a tougher game, but it also makes hunting ridiculously easy once you get someone trained well enough.
I was just curious on thoughts and opinions on this one option as I feel pretty confident with the other options.
I'm also going to turn off field commanders as I think I saw Koshling mention at one point that the AI does not seem to handle them very well yet. (Which is fine, because they can get ridiculously broken incredibly fast in the hands of an average player who uses them well enough and doesn't risk them to many adverse situations.)

I'd leave raging barbarians off in the interests of more balanced hunting.

Great comanders is a mechanic I personally really like, but currently the AI does indeed not handle it at all well, so if you want a good balanced game indeed leave it off. On the other hand it IS an interesting mechanic to display, and one which no previous let's-play has demonstrated, so you might want to consider using it for that reason, and just constraining yourself to not use it 'cheesily' (e.g. - promoting him up on hunting animals)

and just constraining yourself to not use it 'cheesily' (e.g. - promoting him up on hunting animals)

Btw I saw Ethiopia doing this in a recent game (on GEM) but I think they only got 3 promotions before they packed him back in their city.

Btw I saw Ethiopia doing this in a recent game (on GEM) but I think they only got 3 promotions before they packed him back in their city.

The AI only does this 'accidentally' really. This will change once I get to spend some time working back on the AI again after multimaps are done with.

Top Bottom