1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about Chili

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, May 16, 2014.

1. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Okay, enough with this prattling about Ukraine, or God, or "which 4th-tier Greek horror writer is your 7th favorite" stuff. Let's come together and discuss an issue of utmost import to us all. Let's talk about Chili.

Why? For starters, Chili is delicious. You can cook it in bulk (to freeze later, or stretch out across multiple meals), and it's so easy to cook that even our swath of youngins, with only rudimentary access to kitchen supplies, can cook at least an "okay" Chili. It's pretty hard to screw up.

But it's also very versatile. You can make your Chili as complicated or as simple as you want. Some people eschew the usage of beans. Others use beer. Some only use meat, other sausage, turkey, elk, or some combo. Other additions, from spices, to sauces, can enhance.

Do you like Chili? What is your go-to recipe? Do you like it on hot dogs or french fries? Do you support the abomination before the Lord that is Cincinnati Chili? Personally, I've fond of a few squeezes of brown mustard into the mix while it stews, and also enjoy some green chilis thrown in, and I've been trying different kinds of meats, besides beef.

WHAT ARE YOUR #HOT #CHILI #TAKES?!?

2. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

The fact you capitalized it made me think you were referring to the chain Chili's, which is horrendous.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Good thing for us vegetarians is that you don't need meat to easily make a decent chili. It is indeed very versatile and hard to screw up. :goodjob:

I used to make ad hoc chili all the time, probably not anything gourmet or well-made, but still delicious - just throw in a random mix of beans, vegetarian meat, vegetables, whatever brand of salsa we had at the time, and/or seasonings. And voila, good meal.

Hmm. I do miss doing that. Can't do it much right now given my condition, but hopefully when I'm better I can whip up something.

4. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Or the country, which is probably not as horrendous as the Restaurant.

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

You seem to be talking about 'Chili' as if it's a dish?

6. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I like making my chili with a mix of lamb and beef.

7. Camikaze

Also, what's with the one L?

8. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Yeah, wasn't thinking particularly clearly there. The restaurant chain is only average on its absolute best day.
    Yup! Veggie chili is pretty hard to mess up too.

Would be one hell of a side dish, no?

9. Camikaze

See given the comments in this thread, I know this is probably not what you mean, but I have had a chilli as a side dish type thing before with some sort of Romanian soup. Had to be careful to just nibble on it and not get too many seeds in one bite.

10. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I like chili, but I have never made it myself.

11. Imrahil91

Imrahil91 Prince

In American, chili (often called 'chili con carne' if it's with meat) means a tomato stew. While some other people may think the OP is referring to those hot, long pepper things they eat in mexico.

And I like my chili with beans, lots of spices, served with yogurt on top. Maybe I'll try cooking one if I make some beef stock one day.

Chili:

Also chili:

12. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

I like chili, might even cook some tomorrow, but I can't stand it if someone adds coffee to a good chili. The taste is okay but my stomach can't stand it.

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

People add coffee to chili?

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Yeah, some people add coffee or beer for flavor. I prefer chilis where they leave those out and let the spices and meats carry the flavor.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Beer I can see but I never heard of coffee in chili. That does sound... interesting. Now whether in a good way, I don't know.

16. madviking

madviking north american scum

i love chili

17. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

The chilli i eat regularly is decidedly Northen European. No chili pepper makes it anywhere near the pot, nor a lot of chili powder. So I expect it is bland compared to what they serve up in North America.
    I probably eat chilli at least once a week. Mushrooms, celery, onions and bell peppers fiind their way in. Always get the leanest mince I can. Add a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes and some kidney beans. Delicious.

18. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

I don't do anything fancy: chunks of tomato, kidney beans, ground beef, seasoning, some diced chili peppers, hot sauce.

The most important part for me is what is eaten with it: garlic bread. Chili and garlic bread are like Bert and Ernie. They're tight, man.

19. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

This is my go-to fancy chili.

This is roughly my go-to quick and basic chili.

I've mostly given up on vegetarian chili, the best I've been able to do is merely "good", and I've got lots of other awesome vegetarian things I can make instead.

20. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

We always bought store fixins' - "Texas Chili", "...not for women, children or sissies", but this has recently been politically correcterized to simply "Shelby's Chilli". My wife began to add diced tomato to add bulk for our family, and this required added cayenne pepper. It's the one spicy food the kids actually liked as much as we.