1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk About "Super Ironclads"

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Strategy & Tips' started by Stegyre, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Now, this was interesting: in the "worst wonders thread," I saw some comments from some pretty reputable folks about the "Super Ironclad Strategy": build the Lighthouse (+1 movement & automatic veteran status for post-trireme ships) and Magellan's (+2 movement), and a host of veteran ironclads (requires Magnetism advance) and RULE THE SEAS.

I'm not the most aggressive player. (Try non-aggressive: my ideal is to hole up in my small civ on a small island and concentrate on winning the tech race.) But this was so intriguing, that I want to try it out. Now, I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to the Civilopedia, but with the available on-line resources, I'm seeing one fatal flaw, so that either the super ironclads are not possible (at least, not because of the Lighthouse effect) or my information is wrong. According to the reference info at Apolyton, the Lighthouse expires with the discovery of magnetism, just as ironclads become available. Am I missing something here? I would truly like to rule the seas, particularly at a time when other civs won't have coastal fortresses.

[Insert Master & Commander Sailor smiley here. Wait a minute!? We have no sailor-smileys? This will have to do :viking:

2. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

You don't have to research Magnetism to discover Steam Engine.That is what you are missing I assume.

3. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

The mistake here is that you get Ironclads with Steam, not Magnetism. Magnetism brings Frigates and Galleons, but expires the LightHouse, so you should try to delay that as long as possible.

I would call this a "tactic", not a "strategy", but it can be very useful for a short period, which you can prolong by shutting down or minimizing research between Steam and Magnetism. If you are trying to do a fast Conquest you should probably not even get to Steam, but that is another matter. This "tactic" is a very good adaption to a large map with many small islands, and is worst on a map with a single large continent. Use the 'clads to empty out the coastal cities, then drop Horse/Knights/Dragoons to take them and bring in the Caravels with Legions to hold them.

EDIT: I was writing while Smash was posting...

4. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Ah, my bad. :rolleyes:
    If I go IW-Ph-Mag, I can get galleons and frigates, but lose my Lighthouse.
    If I go Inv-Ph-SE, instead, I get a fleet of veteran Monitors (or Merrimacs, for those who hail from the US South).
    "Prepare the battle fleet!" :viking:

5. la fayette

la fayette King

Never forget that the sooner you get your ironclads, the better.
    Therefore, you can skip building Magellan if it helps you acquire Steam sooner (by sending 8 caravans abroad and get a lot of beakers on delivery).
    The only wonder 'required' is LH (since it gives you both '+1 move' and VET STATUS).

6. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Good point. I was just thinking that they really come into their own when they get the +2 movement from Magellans. On the other hand, at 400 shields, Magellans is enough of an investment that I could have almost 7 additional Monitors (@ 60 shields). Maybe the best plan is to build the Lighthouse, get to SE asap, crank out Monitors until Magnetism is discovered, and then complete Magellans.

7. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

you guys must only play the computer. in a real game you can not chose when you build a wonder it is a race for them. if you can build a wonder anytime in any order then it is a forgone conclusion that you were going to win anyway. that being said have to agree with what La fayette says. he seems to have a handle on beating computer. in fact i am going to try a game building elephants to beat ais as he says it is all you need

8. la fayette

la fayette King

Magnetism is not a problem when you have 10-20 vet ironclads at sea.
    The problem is Gunpowder, because destroying any pre-Gunpowder unit with a vet ironclad is a piece of cake, but a vet musketeer fortified on good defensive terrain is much more difficult to eradicate.