1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk musicals!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by SchoolzSoKewl, Dec 28, 2010.

1. SchoolzSoKewl

SchoolzSoKewl Yeah!

This year I joined my school's theater program because I thought it'd be a fun extracurricular, not to mention the program was lacking in boys capable of matching pitch...
    Ever since, musical theater has consumed my life outside of academics, and I really enjoy it!

Naturally I wondered if anyone on civ fanatics expressed an interest in musical theater.

1. Favorite musical? Broadway or otherwise.
    2. Ever been involved in musical theater, what do you like most about it? Please share!
    3. Alternatively, why don't you like musical theater, or what's something you dislike?

1.Right now Next To Normal seems to be my favorite.
    2.The best part of musical theater for me is the competitiveness and the judging. It is so much fun to judge - the talent, and those less musically inclined. It's absolutely hilarious when the girls fight to sing the loudest. It's not something I'll pursue after high school, but it sure is entertaining; the theater kids think every day is an episode of Glee and they're always singing and fighting for attention. It's hilarious, trust me.
    3. I'd say bad performances, but I'm not gonna lie - I love em. :mischief:

Edit-Oh my gosh I'm so sorry I never even saw that arts forum. :/

2. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

My favourite Musical is most definitely The Phantom of the Opera. I also enjoyed Mamma Mia when it was shown here rare few months ago, way better than the Movie version.

3. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Inception: the Musical, starring Christopher Walken. I see it in my dreams every night.

Does Once count? If so, that.

4. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Of true blue musicals, Phantom of the Opera is my favourite.

But if we throw in Music musicals, Moulin Rouge takes the cake for best musical ever.

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I absolutely love musicals. My music classes in Grade 7 and 8 studied them, and I saw one for the first time back in 1978, when my neighbor lady was in My Fair Lady. I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and on the last night of performance, they got all the backstage workers to come out and take a bow. When I saw that some of them were my age (15), I figured that if they could work backstage, so could I.

So next time Central Alberta Theatre put out a call for volunteers, I applied and was accepted to work on the props crew for Kiss Me, Kate. And thus began my work in theatre that lasted over 12 years and beyond. :)

My favorite musical of all time has to be Fiddler on the Roof, with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat coming a close second. My favorites of those I worked on include Jesus Christ, Superstar, The King and I, and Camelot.

And no, I can't sing worth beans. But I can play the organ, and love to hear good singers do justice to the music. I've always worked backstage - except for when we did A Dish of Cream... the director was short of live bodies to use as rehearsal stand-ins, so I got to be Marley's Ghost for about 10 minutes. And that also was a show where they wanted the backstage people to be part of the finale - so I did get to be on stage once.

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Thread is completely incomplete without Gilbert & Sullivan, masters of musical theatre.

And The Pirates of Penzance has got to be the best of them.

Les Misérables is also notably absent from discussion thus far in the thread.

7. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

West Side Story is my favorite musical, and has been for a few years now.

8. Love

Love Deity

Jesus Christ Superstar.

9. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

I don't really like music, which rather dampens the appeal of musicals for me, but Les Misérables is fantastic.

I did see the Lord of the Rings musical, about which I can confidently say that it was as good as a stage musical of The Lord of the Rings could be. Still a dreadful idea though.

10. Veritass

Veritass Emperor

My wife and I are regularly involved in community theater. Last year I was Joe Boyd in Damn Yankees and Homer Zuckerman in Charlotte's Web, the Musical.

The problem is global with trying to get enough men, especially for something like Damn Yankees or Footloose, for example. My favorite musical that I have been in is I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change. This is written as a show for two men and two women, but it is all done as vignettes, so it can be done with any number of people (we did it with four men and four women).

I am auditioning this year for Phantom of the Opera, also one of my favorites, and The Great American Trailer Park Musical, among others. In general, I audition for anything that has a character of my type, and see what happens.

I highly recommend community theater as a hobby, but I don't recommend acting as a career choice. It's a tough road. Either way, break a leg.

11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

^And don't whistle in the dressing room - that superstition actually works; I've seen it in action! :eek:

I was on the costume crew for Camelot (Lancelot's dresser, which was very nice, as he was a very nice, very cute guy :D). The costume mistress started humming and whistling in the dressing area just off-stage one night, and then the show had all kinds of things go wrong:

- one of the knights got injured

- several people caught the flu that was going around town that year (1987)

- she herself tripped over one of the sets, injuring her ankle to the point that she had to direct the rest of the crew from a couch in the downstairs backstage area

- part of King Arthur's costume got mislaid and he ended up going out in the forest with King Pellinore - without shoes, and a mismatch of whatever clothes his dresser could find on such short notice!

But yes, there is often the problem of not enough guys. I can remember some shows we did where the guys' dancing was substandard, simply because the producer/director were taking anybody male to play the parts whether they were especially good or not (Guys & Dolls, West Side Story). But to be fair, I remember some shows we did where there were fantastic male cast members (Jesus Christ Superstar) who could sing, dance, act... they did a great job.

I dunno why musical theatre is seen by some guys as a "sissy" thing - you really do put a lot of effort into rehearsal, and it can be very physically demanding.