Resource icon

Leugi's Civ 6 Unit Asset Tutorials - Level 2 v1

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
These tutorials are awesome! Do you plan to add Levels 3 and 4 at some point?

These tutorials were created by @Leugi not myself - at the moment he is taking a break from Civ VI modding so I don't know whether he is going to finish what he started.

Just finished Level One tutorial (with three pages worth of discussion and trying to get assets shown up properly)

Now in Tutorial 2. this is what I got right now. Creating a new asset out of existing Crouching Tiger armor and changes behaviour from gun crew to lancers.
Tutorial 2 Behave 1.jpg Tutorial 2 Behave 2.jpg
but no animations of the new behaviours playable.. yet. What did I do wrong ?

I think I follow these tutorials to the single letter.

Try setting the From State to ANY and the To State to ATTACK or RUN. Does it still not work?

It works as described in Tutorial Two now--'Magic Monkey' from Journey to the West & Dragonball series.

(Thanks for sorting out how to test animation meow)

Now onto new attachments stage. tooo bad the new attachment doesn't show the asset in the way it should.Tutorial 2 Behave 3.jpg

Last edited:
Now onto new attachments stage. tooo bad the new attachment doesn't show the asset in the way it should.View attachment 526407

Glad to hear you are making progress! :)

When you say "doesn't show the asset in the way it should" - this looks exactly how I would expect without Animations playing. Often the Attachment Points/bones only appear in the correct position and orientation when the animations are playing. In other words, the spear won't appear in the hand unless you play an animation.

This is what I got now, with new attachment points (and so much manual positionings). foreheads seems fit in with this Chinese helmet well. but.. neck, doesn't seems to be that, tested when animated.
View attachment 526455
View attachment 526457

Bear in mind this type of issue will be pretty much invisible in game. Try loading up the game and testing your unit there. If you can't notice any issue in game them it isn't really worth fixing.

Generally this type of thing can only really be resolved by editing the models, meshes and rigging themselves. This is completely possible, but is a more advanced topic requiring some Blender learning.

So this 'glitch' is neglectible by now right? good so now I can move through the next stage of the same Tutorial Two.

OK Now I've got a picture to make icons. so tools needed to make icons please. does it uses its own tools or photo editing apps/programs can do this (and how?, i'm not quite good at photshoppings mew!)

Attachments

• Unit Icon Tut2.jpg
    Unit Icon Tut2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
In game test (sorry I have to make a separate reply because the previous one was a WIP and this one is an in game tests)

Tutorial 2 ERROR1.jpg

Instead of a new type of light cavalry in Chinese style armor and icons.
what I see is NOTHING!!!!!!

Did I do something wrong in the process or should I adapt new versions of MODBUDDY tools to the contemporary ones? and yes ! I choose body asset choice based on the previous 'fixed ARTDEF' and not the tutorials.

Yeah there is something wrong. Could be that your Assets aren't being cooked into .blp files look for errors in the XLP or *.Art.xml set up.

Things to check:
* Are your new Assets referenced in XLP correctly?
* Are you new Assets referenced in Unit Bins correctly?
* Are Unit_Bins.artdef and XLP being referenced in your *.Art.xml file?
* Is (Mod Art Dependency File) set in the mod's UpdateArt action? This is vital for *.Art.xml to be cooked into *.dep and be referenced in the .modinfo.

OK Now I've got a picture to make icons. so tools needed to make icons please. does it uses its own tools or photo editing apps/programs can do this (and how?, i'm not quite good at photshoppings mew!)

For working with 2D textures:
Photoshop: Use .DDS plugin and export your .DDS Uncompressed.

Gimp 2: Use .DDS plugin and use Export as ABGR8 format, .DDS with Compression=None.

Paint.NET: Native support for DDS textures but it can only open some vanilla .dds files directly (generally albedo and normal maps), for the rest (AO, metalness, gloss, tint) you need to use Gimp 2 then you can copy/paste or save to PNG/DDS. For saving DDS from Paint.NET use the B8G8R8A8 format.

Yeah there is something wrong. Could be that your Assets aren't being cooked into .blp files look for errors in the XLP or *.Art.xml set up.

Things to check:
* Are your new Assets referenced in XLP correctly?
* Are you new Assets referenced in Unit Bins correctly?
* Are Unit_Bins.artdef and XLP being referenced in your *.Art.xml file?
* Is (Mod Art Dependency File) set in the mod's UpdateArt action? This is vital for *.Art.xml to be cooked into *.dep and be referenced in the .modinfo.
I think i'm writing referrences in XLP and new assets correctly.
oh! I forgot I need to add Unit_Bins.artdef as well. should I copy this file from default sources into ArtDef folder of the same mod project? and where in the ModArt.xml should I add this reference? meow? below the line that I add Units.artdef as reference ?

And.... is this cooking error shown here related to this aforemented symptoms?
Tutorial 2 Cooking Error1.jpg

That looks like a strange error. Do you have a Landmarks.artdef in the mod? You might need to remove that reference from *.Art.xml since this is a Unit mod it should need to include anything about Landmarks.

Top Bottom