Leugi's Israel for VP

I'll pick VP-EE then

My mistake. The contentious is not about VP-EE but Vox Populi Wonders Expanded 2.0
No problem then since we can inactive a Wonder easily in VPWE_Auto.sql. Thx Infixo

Leugi's Israel for VP, VP-EE and (9) Wonders Expanded (v 2) can go together. :hug:

I don't know what that means.

Big Daddy Society?

Well, as a way of trying to make sure this little slap-fight doesn't happen again, @Infixo, At some point I hope to port over CL's Canada and Tomatekh's Timurids. To avoid a conflict like this one, please do not include the Hudson's Bay Company, the York Factory, or the Registan (or one of the 3 component Madrasahs) in future Wonders expanded versions.

Last edited:
I don't know what that means.

Big Daddy Society?

Well, as a way of trying to make sure this little slap-fight doesn't happen again, @Infixo, At some point I hope to port over CL's Canada and Tomatekh's Timurids. To avoid a conflict like this one, please do not include the Hudson's Bay Company, the York Factory, or the Registan (or one of the 3 component Madrasahs) in future Wonders expanded versions.

The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement (also known as the BDS Movement) is a global campaign promoting various forms of boycott against Israel until it meets what the campaign describes as "[Israel's] obligations under international law"

To avoid a conflict like this one, please do not include the Hudson's Bay Company, the York Factory, or the Registan (or one of the 3 component Madrasahs) in future Wonders expanded versions.
Atm I do not plan to add any new Wonders to VPWE. I find it kind of complete and well balanced in terms of total number of Wonders you might built at any given time.

I'm really looking forward to playing this civ! I loved this civ back in vanilla :). Any idea when it will be complete?

Update. Israel is now complete, but requires testing. Here is the civ if anyone wants to take it for a spin:

Attachments

• (bnw) leugi's israel civilization (v 7).zip
    24.8 MB · Views: 177
I've just begun playing Israel :
- The Promised Land promotion (which, I suppose, is the unique UA promotion for Israel that gives bonus against bbs and faith on kill against them) doesn't have an effect. Below is a picture of the description of the promotion.
- The Historical info of the Maccabee could be reworked a bit... It's really long

Also, after thinking about it a bit, I've come to the conclusion that the first part of the UA bonus (promised land promotion) is a bit too resemblant to what the Aztec have (the Israelite bonus is only focused on bbs, and the Aztec bonus doesn't offer a combat bonus, but still...)...
Suggestions :
Replace this part of the bonus by a faith bonus whenever there is a historical event + make so that there is a historical event whenever Israel destroys a barbarian camp
Do you have other ideas (I know I said that I didn't have complains about Israel before, but it playing a civ usually makes you think) ?

Spoiler Promised land :

20180418150755_1.jpg

The UA is a mishmash of a bunch of different UAs, but crappier. Has aztec faith on kills, but only on barbs and no gold. Has Assyria's Yields on GW, but only 2. My original plan was to have Great Prophets give a free Great work of writing whenever they were expended, but it was A) a nightmare to code and B) would have caused a glut of early GWs that the civ wouldn't have had room for

Hmm... well the thing that attracted me to the faith on barbs was I wanted something to depict the conquest of Canaan, though it was more like an extirpation. Something to get their early religious ball rolling, which also serves as an anti-barb thing.

Maybe just Faith on Clearing Barbarian camps then? Maybe 45:c5faith:, scaling with era? (5 short of a free pantheon)

And yeah, the Maccabee and Temple of Solomon articles are both obscenely long. I actually already did a bit of shortening on both, but Leugi just went hog-wild on those things.

There's a bunch of text issues, which I will have to get around to. The prior mod is just word-vomit

As a side note, it is REALLY hard to write a Dawn of Man text for Israel without coming off as a Zionist. All the other DoMs for ancient civs talk about a resurgence or unification of lost and scattered peoples. They all read like a Zionist mad libs.

Last edited:
I like the original idea of faith on barbarian kills.

As Hinin pointed out, the Promised Land promotion has no text. It also does not give faith on barbarian kills.

Unfortunately, I think Hinin has a very valid point, it's just way too similar to the Aztec UA. I'm going to switch it to the clearing barb camps idea. instead, unless someone can think of another option.

I think something is the matter with the lua settings (but not the actual code itself. The lua hook in question is part of the CBP's API, so I need to make sure that I have the lua initiated properly. This will also affect the Shofet's unique promotion.

I've actually spent what free time I have fixing the text. I'll get around to bug fixes soon

I really like the idea of using the Arabia UA code. Currently there is faith (and culture) from great works and holy sites. If you use the Arabia code (iirc it is separated into the three parts: yields, GPP, and Tourism %boost) you can have the capital gain permanent faith (and another yield?) from historic events and then do away with the bonuses to great works and holy sites since they effectively come with a historic event (and ties in with bonuses to GPTI in the UB). The idea of adding a lua hook to trigger historic events on barb camp is a really nice spin. I'd go with something like that.

Well that would literally just make Israel's UA a faith version of Arabia's.

A few issues I have with the historic events trigger idea, as well:
  • It takes the focus off of what I had previously planned for Israel's core strategy which was basically "Get all the GPs" and "don't bulb anything". With a historic event system, they have other sources of events (winning wars, wonder whoring, etc.) which dilutes the focus, and it doesn't matter what the GPs do anymore.
  • It runs in a bit with my plans for the Timurid mod port, which is going to have a sort of pseudo-Arabic Capital snowball, but with conquest instead of historic events.
  • I have looked though the CustomModOptions.xml, and I wasn't able to find any hooks or means by which to manipulate historic events. You could trigger a historic events via lua by spawning a GP or building a dummy wonder, then immediately deleting it, but there's no way of giving yields outside of the Arabia method.
  • If the faith gain was per-turn, like Arabia's, it would be a second "under the hood" passive faith gain, which the Temple already does with population. How about this?
Spoiler :
UA: Chosen of YHWH: +25% :c5strength: Combat bonus vs Barbarians and 30 :c5faith: Faith whenever a Barbarian camp is cleared, scaling with Era. +1:c5faith: Faith and +2 :c5culture: Culture on all Great Person Improvements, +2 :c5faith: Faith and +1:c5culture: Culture on all Great Works. Cannot Construct Temples.

UB: Solomon's Temple (Great Temple)
Unlocked at Masonry (2 techs earlier)
Must be constructed in Capital
Does not require Temple
7 :c5faith:Faith, 5 :c5culture:Culture
Free Temple in city
Instant boost of 200:c5faith:Faith on completion
+75% religious pressure in city
30% Conversion Resistance in all cities
+1:c5gold: /+1:c5culture: to Wine, Incense and Amber on Empire
3 Great works of Music Slots (+5:c5culture:, +5:c5goldenage:GAP if themed. All Great Works must be your own.)
-25%:c5unhappy: Religious needed modifier
building cost increases with number of buildings in empire
No bonus to temples

+1:c5faith: for every 2 :c5citizen: citizens on Empire
36:c5culture: and 36:c5goldenage: when you Expend a Great Person
(This is a reference to the 36 righteous ones in Jewish mysticism.)
So, effectively this moves the GP tile improvement from the Temple onto the UA, and give the Temple a University of Sankore GP booster to replace what it lost. Now holy sites aren't so stacked (4culture, 4 faith before), and the temple has another source of GAP rather than only on its theming bonus

Last edited:
I renamed the Carthaginian Shophet to Suffet. That's the Phoenician version of the word. Shophet or Shofet is Hebrew. Fun fact, but the other Carthaginian UC, the Tophet, is also Hebrew. We literally don't have the name for what the Carthaginians would have called their altars anymore, and ancient Hebrew is the closest thing.

Two Canaanite civs with GG replacements. It looks weird, but they will play very different, and have very different abilities. The two units are separated by culture, language, role (Carthaginian suffets were governors, Isrealite shoftim were tribal warlords), and about 1000 years, give or take. I wasn't super happy with the overlap myself, but I really like the idea of dipping into Israel's pre-kingdom phase for UCs

Sounds good! For my personal enjoyment, I mostly just care about the names. Things like that just break my brain too easily, and troubleshooting your own broken brain is a nightmare.

@pineappledan (Sorry for double post!) Is there any chance at all that you're looking at or would consider looking at at Enginseer's port of the Canton Pirates? I've had a huge amount of fun playing them, but the game consistently crashes somewhere after ~turn 75 or so on standard speed. (Not just me, either; I've seen it mentioned in plenty of places.) I've never had much luck from my own looking at the logs, but I also quite frankly have almost no idea what I'm doing, where to look or what to look for.

Is there any chance at all that you're looking at or would consider looking at at Enginseer's port of the Canton Pirates?
No chance :D. @Enginseer is still a reasonably active member of the modding scene here and it's his mod. He's also leagues ahead of me as a coder, so it would be a very bad use of my time to even try.

No chance :D. @Enginseer is still a reasonably active member of the modding scene here and it's his mod. He's also leagues ahead of me as a coder, so it would be a very bad use of my time to even try.
You may try, and I'll take mine off. You have my approval.

Last edited:
Top Bottom