Levi-Strauss is dead

Algeroth

8 and 1/2
Anthropologist Levi-Strauss dies
Claude Levi-Strauss in 2001

Renowned French anthropologist Claude Levi-Strauss has died, aged 100.

One of the most influential French intellectuals of the 20th Century, he founded the structuralist school of anthropology in the 1950s.

Levi-Strauss's books include Tristes Tropiques - a 1955 biographical book regarded as a classic - as well as The Savage Mind and The Raw and the Cooked.

In a tribute, French President Nicolas Sarkozy called Levi-Strauss "one of the greatest ethnologists of all time".

Levi-Strauss applied the structural approach pioneered by linguistics to anthropology, arguing that family relations and belief systems are best analysed as complex sets of interrelated parts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8340936.stm

Well, I would say it was a good hundred years of life.

RIP

Did he make the jeans? LOL JOKES

I had my hopes up for this thread and everything. But no, that Strauss is long gone and his legacy is perverted every day even now in American culture :(

No, Levi Strauss is the name of an actual garment pioneer, or whatever one would call that. But the rest of the joke/in-joke or whatever is apparently being lost, and it's not worth persuing further.

Sad Tropics was an interesting read. RIP.

He sucked. Not as much as Derrida and co, although he was an enabler of them. While he has some OK stuff in some non-philosophy fields, his stuff in philosophy and his "social theory" is all crap.

I thought his latest jean ad's were neat! :(

<insert baby gibberish next to a Philosophy PHD title here>

Top Bottom