[RD] LGBTQ news

FTFY ;)

Caitlyn's governorship bid is not a complete longshot. Arnold Schwarzenegger won as a Republican in California a few years ago. There is currently also is a bit of a backlash against Newsom which could help her.
Also governor race's are one of the few things left in US politics where people will vote for the person rather then the party. This is shown by the heavily Republican states of Kansas, Kentucky & Louisiana having Democrats for governors, and the heavily Democratic states of Maryland, Massachusetts, and Vermont having Republicans for governors. However California has gotten quite a bit more liberal since Schwarzenegger. Also her campaign team includes several former Trump advisors, and the stench of association with Trump may be hard to escape from.
We like Newsom even though we think he's an asshat. Schwarzenegger is a super human and can pretty much will to power almost anything he wants, and has always been extremely popular. There's no comparison. But I guess ultimately you're calling it an almost complete long shot.

Some random stuff.

Vanity Fair, 28 April 2021 - "Elliot Page Finally Feels 'Able to Just Exist'"

Vanity Fair said:
Despite all the success you’ve had in your career, you told Time that you felt so much gendered pressure to look a certain way for roles that you nearly quit acting more than once. How has acting shifted for you, or how is it beginning to shift for you, as you’re feeling more embodied? What’s opening up for you creatively?

What has happened the most since coming out to people close to me is this massive explosion of creativity. One of my best friends and I wrote our first screenplay, and I’m developing something else now, and I made some music with a friend. I think of all the energy and time that was going towards feeling uncomfortable, constantly checking my body, just feeling unwell. And I’ve got a new ability to explore creatively and write, and just how much I’m reading—that’s been really amazing.

In terms of acting, I don’t think I quite know yet. I am just a lot more fudging comfortable and present, so it’s hard to imagine that that’s not affecting the work, because, really, being present’s ultimately what you’re going for—you’re just ultimately trying to crack open and be present and connect to the truth of a moment. So I’m imagining the more I get to embody who I am and exist in the body I want to exist in, there’ll be a difference.

---

PBS Newshour, 16 April 2021 - "New poll shows Americans overwhelmingly oppose anti-transgender laws"

Interesting poll results (large graphic, not a 'spoiler' of anything). We can see here just how little the Republican Party even represents self-described Republican or conservative voters. It isn't even 'Republicans' who are trying to impose a kind of 2nd-class citizenry on transgender people, it's a minority of conservatives who support this legislation (in this case, the stuff about providing medical care related to gender identity, before the age of 18).
Spoiler :

But if you're wondering about participation in sports, the results are actually quite similar. Again, even among self-described Republican and independent voters, there's little support for prohibitions against transgender people. Even conservatives mostly oppose these laws.
Spoiler :

Her politics suck.

What ARE they, other than being more anti-lockdown than the previous governor? That position on its own is reasonable, but that doesn't mean the rest of the platform is reasonable. It takes more to run a state than to simply avoid destroying it directly, though that's not a bad first step.

Caitlyn Jenner opposes transgender girls participating in girls' sports
(CNN)When former Olympian and reality TV personality Caitlyn Jenner announced that she planned to challenge California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom in the state's expected recall election this year, many trans activists across the country were quick to make it clear that she did not speak for them.

A brief TMZ interview with Jenner Saturday -- where she outlined her views on trans athletes participating in school sports -- makes it clear why. When a reporter asked Jenner during the impromptu interview for her opinion on the efforts by some Republican legislatures to ban transgender athletes from participating in sports consistent with their gender identities, she replied that she does not support trans girls playing on girls' teams.
"This is a question of fairness. That's why I oppose biological boys who are trans competing in girls' sports in school," said Jenner, a Republican who is one of the most high-profile transgender Americans in public life. "It just isn't fair. And we have to protect girls' sports in our schools." She did not answer a follow-up question from the reporter about whether that view delegitimizes the identity of children who transition and now identify as girls.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/02/poli...sgender-athletes-california-recall/index.html

Caitlyn Jenner said:
biological boys who are trans
I am certainly not the one to be commenting, but isn't that completely the wrong words?

I am certainly not the one to be commenting, but isn't that completely the wrong words?
This was exactly the issue I brought up some time back. You can't really selectively accept a person's gender definition. If trans girls are girls then they should play girls sports. If not, then you aren't accepting them as girls, at a minimum you're patronizing them as, "Oh sure you can be a 'girl' *wink*... but seriously, you're a boy", or at the far end, your just saying outright "Eff that, you're a boy, I don't gaf how you want to 'define' yourself".

This was exactly the issue I brought up some time back. You can't really selectively accept a person's gender definition. If trans girls are girls then they should play girls sports. If not, then you aren't accepting them as girls, at a minimum you're patronizing them as, "Oh sure you can be a 'girl' *wink*... but seriously, you're a boy", or at the far end, your just saying outright "Eff that, you're a boy, I don't gaf how you want to 'define' yourself".

I think it's not that surprising that if you get to some privilege being attached (such as someone with a typical male body-type competing against females), problems do appear. Imagine a white person self-identifying as black, because it does express them, but somewhere down the line making use of some perk under some program which makes it clear that it applies only if you actually are black or other minority.
Drexl from True Romance clearly thinks he is black. And no one should care, I suppose - his friend in the club is black and doesn't seem to care.But Drexl didn't apply for a minority-only program; he works for the mafia.

Personally I see no hypocrisy in those accepting someone as (say) female if they identify as such, but don't want them to be in sports of that gender.

Personally I see no hypocrisy in those accepting someone as (say) female if they identify as such, but don't want them to be in sports of that gender.
Scientific American, 16 March 2021 - "Trans Girls Belong on Girls’ Sports Teams"

Scientific American said:
In February 2020, the families of three cisgender girls filed a federal lawsuit against the Connecticut Association of Schools, the nonprofit Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference and several boards of education in the state. The families were upset that transgender girls were competing against the cisgender girls in high school track leagues. They argued that transgender girls have an unfair advantage in high school sports and should be forced to play on boys’ teams.
In describing the Connecticut case in the Wall Street Journal, opinion writer Abigail Shrier expressed a representative argument: when transgender girls compete on girls’ sports teams, she wrote, “[cisgender] girls can’t win.” The opinion piece left out the fact that two days after the Connecticut lawsuit was filed by the cisgender girls’ families, one of those girls beat one of the transgender girls named in the lawsuit in a Connecticut state championship.

People who are opposed to trans girls competing alongside cis girls aren't even trying to make a good-faith, fact-based argument. Are you sure you want to stand alongside them?
Policies permitting transgender athletes to play on teams that match their gender identity are not new. The Olympics have had trans-inclusive policies since 2004, but a single openly transgender athlete has yet to even qualify. California passed a law in 2013 that allows trans youth to compete on the team that matches their gender identity; there have been no issues. U SPORTS, Canada’s equivalent to the U.S.’s National Collegiate Athletic Association, has allowed transgender athletes to compete with the team that matches their identity for the past two years.
American Republicans are making up a(nother) problem that doesn't exist, so they can appear to be defending American "family" values. It's a kind of straw-manning and conservative virtue-signalling. Also, cis-girls who are athletes aren't the ones freaking out, it's mainly middle-aged politicians. Again, it's just conservative virtue-signalling. They're pouring water on a house that's not on fire and declaring themselves heroes.

American Republicans are making up a(nother) problem that doesn't exist, so they can appear to be defending American "family" values. It's a kind of straw-manning and conservative virtue-signalling. Also, cis-girls who are athletes aren't the ones freaking out, it's mainly middle-aged politicians. Again, it's just conservative virtue-signalling. They're pouring water on a house that's not on fire and declaring themselves heroes.

It strikes me that not only are there the obvious victims of this process in the marginalized communities being scapegoated, but the people who fall for this are victims too insofar as their brains are being destroyed by this crap. "Pay no attention to your increasingly precarious economic situation...."

Scientific American, 16 March 2021 - "Trans Girls Belong on Girls’ Sports Teams"

People who are opposed to trans girls competing alongside cis girls aren't even trying to make a good-faith, fact-based argument. Are you sure you want to stand alongside them?

I am not standing with anyone, nor do I decide anything in this. Furthermore, unless serious money/university acceptance/other is tied to this sport, it can't be a problem.
That said, it's not like currently we are near the situation when you'd have any considerable number of trans people getting such perks, so I do agree it is a rather moot point.

The ideal of good sportsmanship is far more widely and deeply held than any sentiment the trans-athletes can muster for their case. They will lose this, and badly. These shock troops of wokery are better deployed elsewhere.

It strikes me that not only are there the obvious victims of this process in the marginalized communities being scapegoated, but the people who fall for this are victims too insofar as their brains are being destroyed by this crap. "Pay no attention to your increasingly precarious economic situation...."
I think that if it is some sport you do for fun, it shouldn't matter. But afaik in the US many people can actually get scholarships from doing sports - and in that case... I am certain their fellow athletes will care.
Yes, that's a good illustration of the point @Lexicus made.

Yes, that's a good illustration of the point @Lexicus made.

No need to be so cynical, I see no logical rule that if you already have x-y, a follow-up of x-y-z doesn't count as subtraction.

(of course I am not enthusiastic about people doing sports to get accepted to university - but they do exist, and to them it is a subtraction)

The ideal of good sportsmanship is far more widely and deeply held than any sentiment the trans-athletes can muster for their case. They will lose this, and badly. These shock troops of wokery are better deployed elsewhere.
I didn't realise "good sportsmanship" meant "be transphobic". I've been getting it wrong, apparently.

Top Bottom