1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

LGBTQ news

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bernie14, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Maybe it is an emotional thing - I am rather the opposite of openly emotional -, but my impression is that one doesn't add something if they just are out to attack someone else, have a "gotcha" as the USians imo diminish themselves by summing this up as; no issue is in tautology with any person who claims something about it and therefore no issue will be examined by examining the person. Maybe the hope is that the issue itself is a non-issue, and thus only appears due to some reaction to the natural dismissal of it? (but then if it is a non-issue, it won't reflect well on anyone who regards it as important to them; maybe some pathos between the two irreconcilable positions is what leads a few to just word it as merely a manifestation of other people's supposedly wild hatred or hostility towards them).

One can also somewhat sum up the above by saying that if you pick something in random, chances are that any person's reaction to it will be closer to apathy than to pathos. Since the vast majority of things are not interesting to any specific person (though obviously no two people share all of their interests etc), the further away you go from something important for a clear majority, the better chance you have of getting an apathetic response. So one shouldn't by default suspect malice when neutrality is far likelier.
    Of course one can be malignant, even while apathetic to the subject - but then again the malice already is not related to the subject, so a response tying it to it doubles, so to speak, the distance from the actual subject.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

McDonalds uses it to run a wonderful charity.

Birdjaguar and Sommerswerd like this.
  3. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

I refuse to engage with some who disengenuously frames these signs as a positive move for trans people when the community itself is ****ing against them.

@Berzerker I wouldn't trust you to even have any idea of what the trans community thinks on this topic but let me tell you; it's abject fear but you don't give a **** never have, never will.

4. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Trying to work out how this relates beyond the colour scheme, and unfortunately I'm way too sober to make sense of it. Maybe after a few.

5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

It's the color scheme.

Look, I agree the world is dog**** and terrifying. I believe you. But we only have the tools we have. We decide what to build with them. Let's give it a go. It may even do some work in some fashion, seeing as what we're doing now isn't good enough. I find the world is a little clearer that way when you are just over the whole thing.

Very much best wishes for the people and their friends in Tennessee that have to go over the top first on signage. The government would not be screwing with people's basic rights if the people were not winning.

6. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

My first guess is that McDonalds failed to fund certain peoples' election campaigns
    and must accordingly be punished by being associated with transgendered people.

7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

So make yellow and red be excellent, duh. It is already excellent, no sense in changing that.

8. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

Why not have doubts, i mean, we don't even know if you are from Earth :confused:

9. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Thank you. I have read it. The law is in my opinion badly drafted.

First off it starts off by implying that all public rest room must have the notice, and then says that this need not apply to unisex or family restrooms
    by adopting the legal fiction that they are not public restrooms when everybody knows that in the ordinary language they are a type of restroom.

But the real hole in the law is the following statement that must be satisfied for it to be a public restroom.

But consider public restrooms divided into an outer area (urinals and hand basins for men OR, hand basins and mirrors for ladies)
    and innermost cubicles with the lavatory seat for one person only such cubicles are usually not individually labelled as Male./Female.

Now when I as a man go to the Gentlemen's (UK term used even if we are peasants) and stand in front of a
    pub urinal discharging the beer I drank earlier, I may well have men to either side of me similarly urinating.

I do not have any real expectation of privacy.

One merely hopes they won't piss on my boots or try to change my religion or vote in the referendum.

Likewise I understand, from literary readings and plays, that ladies may go in the common area of the Ladies
    where they may wash their hands, powder their nose and looking in the mirror touch up their makeup.
    I understand that is where they may comment on the men that have tried to chat them up, share a laugh
    and perhaps even agree to align their defensive strategy varying from one dance only, to tell him to get lost.

The only place I expect privacy is in the cubicle itself, and in the absence of drunken
    mountaineers or limbo dancers; I have encountered both; such expectation is normally met.

So the law won't apply to the common areas because there is no expectation of privacy and it won't
    apply to the cubicles because once inside the common area the cubicles are not designated M or F.

Samson and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

How does making exceptionally low quality posts further our survival as a species?

Gorbles and Lexicus like this.
  11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Shades of the Sun Supporter

People being wrong on the internet and correcting them is the #1 cause for survival.

Because... following the sign logic... by making trash posts and having garbage opinions and shoddy arguments, one forces people to point out the flaws, inconsistencies, inaccuracies and outright lies in ones argument...

So when you really think about it. The people with the worst arguments are the one who are really responsible for meaningful debate, because without their hogwash, the people discussing the topic thoughtfully would have nothing to talk about!! :crazyeye: And so it is the ridiculous positions that give life meaning, but without them, there would be none of the substantive discussions that give life meaning.

Makes sense doesn't it? (It doesn't :nope:)

NinjaCow64 likes this.
  12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Businesses putting up signs are doing so to welcome transpeople, and if we are to believe they could face a backlash, they're sticking their necks out to do it. I'm sure the lgbtq communities and supporters will spend more in those stores to show their gratitude.

If a bathroom arrangement changes, wont everyone want some notice of the change? I wouldn't limit that to women or transwomen.

Why is the sign relevant to my argument either way? White only, colored only, both are Jim Crow signs to exclude people. This sign includes everyone, under Jim Crow the equivalent sign would have allowed black and white use of the same bathroom... or removing white or colored only signs. The reason I remember it differently is because Costner was giving her trouble about being late and she said:

“There are no colored bathrooms here, or anywhere except the west campus,” she says, through tears.

He walked off with people following and took a sign down, I didn't look closely at the sign and assumed it was a white only sign because it would be illogical to remove a colored only sign clear across the campus when she just got finished complaining she couldn't use the closer white bathroom. Can you explain that logic?

You fear bathrooms without signs, you fear bathrooms with signs, what is your solution? My solution is let the law stand so corporate America and the free market will decide if transpeople can use public facilities without fear. A sign that says you are welcome to use our bathroom is better than no sign if no sign means avoiding the bathroom.

Trial and error?

13. Sommerswerd

Yes. You're wrong.. again, and you can't bring yourself to just admit it unequivocally... as usual, which ruins the credibility of everything else you have to say, because it exposes that you are not discussing the topic in good faith. The rest of your post is just an extension of that bad-faith.

NinjaCow64 likes this.
  14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

The implication that this sums his existence is unfortunate.

15. Sommerswerd

I agree that making and/or raising chillun's is the most basic thing to do to further our species survival... so get to it all of you... or you're not patriotic Earthicans :yup:

16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

But I just said I didn't read the sign closely and assumed it was white only and I explained why, if she couldn't use the closer white bathroom why did Costner walk across the campus to remove a colored only sign at the bathroom she was already using? She wanted to use the closer bathroom. If you hadn't seen the sign wouldn't you assume it was the white only sign nearby? Idk, maybe they screwed that up in the movie.

You're accusing me of bad faith for remembering a scene differently, how does my memory of that scene matter to my argument? If Costner removed the colored only sign would that justify removing a sign allowing black and white people to use the same bathroom? Ofc not, so why would he object to a sign allowing everyone to use the bathroom?

The scene from that movie supports a sign letting everyone use the bathroom, like this sign. Costner just didn't have one handy to replace the colored only sign. If he was trying to accommodate trans employees he would either have no sign or a unisex sign. Given an environment where trans employees might be attacked, the unisex sign would be better so everyone is clear about who can use the bathroom.

17. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Read and reread until the words sink into that brain of yours. The tran's community doesn't want this, but you ignore them because you think you know better, you're also vile in invoking the free market when the free market had no issue whatsoever cosying up to racists and harming African-Americans until it was no longer fashionable or acceptable to do so, your historical revisionism is disgusting.

18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

You made the mistake if paying attention to to him.

Bad cloud. Bad. Off to eastern Europe for you, feel free to take a slice of Ukraine.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  19. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

I was replying to the claim that the bill mandates which toilets anyone should use, and that using the wrong toilet would be breaking the law. I don't believe either of those things are the case - the decision of who can use what facilities seems to be left entirely to the businesses/establishments themselves, and so therefore it surely can't be possible to break any laws as a patron here (unless there is some other pre-existing law along the lines of "it is a criminal offence to use a toilet facility in a private business in a manner which is not in accordance with the proprietor's wishes" or something). The only law that seems to be being mandated involves the placing of the signs, and therefore the only party capable of breaking any law in regards to this bill must surely be the business/establishment, not any of the patrons.

I understand all the other concerns you bring up, but I was responding to the claim about what the law was, and what would constitute breaking it.

In the second case, I presume you're talking about businesses that don't display a sign?

That doesn't make any sense in regards to what I said. It's either going to be illegal to use the "wrong" toilet, or it isn't. The claim was made that it is, but my reading of the bill is that it isn't. Being targeted isn't going to alter how I interpret the wording of the bill as to what is or isn't going to be considered a crime.

20. Sommerswerd

You didn't "remember it differently". You're just wrong. And your argument is wrong, and based on a premise that is wrong... but you just can't bring yourself to admit that you are wrong.
    This statement perfectly illustrates the flaw in your thinking. You're wrong, and rather than admit it, you are blaming the movie.