1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LGBTQ news

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bernie14, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Dude need's to go outside and touch grass

Sommerswerd likes this.
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I cant remember it differently and be wrong too? I did admit it, a couple times now. I assumed when Costner heard her complaint he would have removed the white only sign prohibiting her from using the bathroom. I watched her speech followed by Costner walking down a hallway and removing a sign, I didn't read the sign and assumed it prohibited her from using the bathroom. I dont know why he ran off to remove a different sign to the bathroom she was already using and I dont see you explaining it either.

You accused me of making a bad faith argument, what was my argument? What does the sign in the movie have to do with my argument? Bad faith is a motive, how was my argument improved by a white only sign as opposed to a colored only sign?

And ya'll keep comparing this sign now with Jim Crow era signs segregating people, if we were back then wouldn't a sign inviting transpeople to share the bathroom be a step forward? This sign would have been torn down back then, now its being torn down by the woke.

Jim Crow was not the free market, Jim Crow banned the free market. The free market promotes racial harmony because the color green matters more. Why do you think racism has been declining for decades? Jim Crow ended. People and corporations had more freedom to move about and change society. As for what the trans community wants, I thought they wanted to use public restrooms in peace. Can they do that now without signs?

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I don't think it is a good idea to focus on parallels between genders and skin color. Already we read that supposedly if you have any black background at all (mixed), and your skin is light, you are always supposed to be black and not white (eg Obama) nor anything neither black nor white, so if such a view carries over to gender you can see where it would lead: your genitals define your gender regardless of being of "mixed" psychology about it (unless some wish to argue that you can actually be 100% of the view that you belong to the gender you are trans to, which would open the can of worms of others saying that then you can be 100% of a set gender which ties to your genitals as well).

I personally don't see what the Costner movie has to show either way. Maybe nothing, since it wasn't made for this issue, and while you could move from signs "only white" or "only black" to no signs, moving from signs about "male", "female" to no signs would have exactly the same result as displaying what is inferred by that on an actual "male, female, non binary" sign - after all, why suppose a person already prone to be against such a bathroom won't pick up that the lack of sign makes it just that? (even if they are a cretin, they will pick up on the change once they are in the bathroom). A direct way to see why the segregation signs are not a model for the sex-defined signs is, of course, to ponder on whether segregated bathrooms still had a male and female sign attached.
    The above is about fear of non-sympathetic people's attacks not being an issue dependent on a sign being there or not - of course a lack of a sign would be what the sign would ideally be working towards, but that isn't about fear of being attacked, only about sensing that the issue has been already completely resolved (which would be fantastical).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  4. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I do not think that it is entirely a good idea to focus on people gender issues when we haven't yet finished with war and hunger. Personally I think there are grander issues at hand.

5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Shades of the Sun

In the scene, all of the black women that were working there were present. That was a pretty strong clue that he went to the building where the "colored ladies" restroom was... as it would have been absurd for him to go all the way there, then summon all of the black women back to the main, whites only building, just to see him remove a "whites only" sign. White restrooms were the default in that building, and as such, had no sign. Black people needed to find the restrooms labeled "colored". Understand?

You don't need a "whites only" sign in a place that has no chance of having any black people... like mission control at NASA in those days. But that's the kind of obvious fact that certain dynamics which I won't spell out make you oblivious to.

In any case, your continued, obstinate cluelessness about this issue make it clear why you can't wrap your mind around why your position is so wrong in the context of trans people.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

If indifference or distance from the plight of black people was really a factor in what one thinks about trans, it would follow that black people would be more supportive of trans rights than white, which isn't the case.
    The two issues therefore aren't tied emotionally, and in my post I tried to allude to why they aren't very open to be fruitfully tied mentally either; there seems to exist only a trivial part in common (dominant vs minority group).

7. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

Not as unfortunate as the implications he is making.

You really think these signs are welcoming? That is an incredibly stupid and incorrect opinion to hold.

Your idea of the free market is a childish fantasy that has never emerged in reality and likely never will. The actual "free" market that exists in reality made a killing off of Jim Crow and the institution of slavery and continues to make a killing off of prison industrial complex (which continues to subject prisoners to slave-like conditions, many of them being African-American).

The free market is a nice idea in theory but every time it has been attempted it has led to deaths and suffering of millions. How many more people have to die before you admit you are wrong?

The trans community on CFC has been trying to tell you how harmful these signs are yet you refuse to listen.

Why are you wasting your time debating gender issues on CFC then? Why aren't you devoting your time instead to fixing war and hunger?

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  8. NinjaCow64

I think he's far too far gone for that, sadly.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

In the US there has been a progression of "lessor" people being slowly worked into mainstream society over many years. The struggles have usually be difficult and we are not yet finished. Irish and Italians, Chinese, Women, Blacks, Gays, Hispanics, and now Trans. Often the struggles are regional and then spill into the national spotlight. We are a big country with cities that are widespread and culturally different. Everyone is in a hurry, but for some the wait has been much longer and more difficult.

NinjaCow64 and Kyriakos like this.
  10. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

There's nothing I can do except prevent those on my end. On gender issues I was just expressing my own opinion.

11. NinjaCow64

Then your opinion is hypocritical as if gender issues were unimportant then you would not waste your fingers typing about them.

12. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Unless one was drunk.
    like me.

13. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

What are you even talking about? The free market didn't promote racial harmony; Non-white people were and still are actively discriminated against in it!

Jesus christ, you ignore the lived experiences of millions because to even acknowledge that you're wrong irt race would force you to acknowledge that your position on trans people isn't based in reality

Sommerswerd and NinjaCow64 like this.
  14. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I have a free will, my own view, and a set of fingers, let's hit it ! ;) They're here to oppress You xD Just couldn't resist that one hehe . Okay say what You will , I've already said what I wanted to say.

Edit:

Although.... No ! You're right , What am I even doing here ? Curiosity I guess. I am curious what my fellow man are doing and are concerned about. In other words : "what's the fuss" - I guess I am like that horrible old lady looking out the window all curious what's it all is about - trying to get yell her two words, nobody even cares about anymore. Yup - that's it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    bernie14 likes this.
  15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I've been sober for months my Polish slushie!!!

16. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Erika is the new Polish Slushie !? I am shocked ! Erika is from Poland ? I didn't knew her/him/them/they for a cabbage lover ? :think: Well I guess in the light of the new LBGT and Q, anyone can be anything. I support Your decision Erika ;) After all cabbage is for everyone and we welcome You Erika ! Very well .... take Your cabbage dumpling and prepare to say the oath ....

bernie14 likes this.
  17. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

18. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

What do You think ? I think only the old guy is talking sense , else is propaganda.

19. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I wanted to find a worthy film of man and woman taking their oath but I could't find one , I've failed.

20. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

So in effect he added a sign to the white only bathrooms allowing colored people to use them. This sign says transpeople can use the bathroom too but apparently thats a bad thing now.

The movie scene doesn't help your argument, just the opposite. If she was trans and excluded from using the bathroom he would have either removed or replaced the sign or policy excluding her.

You accused me of making a bad faith argument, what was my argument? Why would it matter what was on the sign?

Will you shop at stores with the sign? If you had the choice between them and stores with no sign, which would you prefer? Why wouldn't you be grateful to a store that invited you to use their bathroom when you fear using bathrooms?

People made money off slavery, they wouldn't have made that money in a free market because slavery violates freedom. Free market, free people. The prison industrial complex is built on the drug war, free marketeers are trying to end that too. You keep smearing the people fighting these evils, Joe Biden helped build those prisons.

What is your ideology again? Every time a free market was attempted it killed millions? The world effectively had free markets for eons before states and nations existed.

I listened and offered a different perspective. Are you obliged to agree with me on issues effecting me? Does the trans community fear using public restrooms because of harassment and assault for using the wrong bathroom? Why do you fear a sign that says you can use the bathroom? How else will the trans community gain acceptance if welcome mats are abolished?

And ofc this sign is a welcome mat, one of the arguments against it was the associated risk to the businesses. You cant get more welcoming than that, they're thumbing their noses at the bigots.

And just about all faced signs excluding them, now we have a sign that includes everyone.

Then nothing can promote racial harmony because discrimination exists in every system. Is there more racial harmony in the South now than 70-100 years ago under Jim Crow? Restoring the freedom of people to do business - the free market - led corporations and people to expand into the South thereby promoting racial harmony.