1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

LGBTQ news

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bernie14, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: If you want to discuss how what you call "the free market" encourages racial and gender harmony, please start a new thread on that topic. No need for that topic in this thread.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Ok, a question:

(I already referred to this, but other people here may have views based on hard facts) My own impression seems to be that MtF is vastly more acceptable currently than FtM. I have this impression since there are so many known subcategories (with examples) for MtF; anything from crossdressing to drug-backed transition with somatic alteration.
    Would you say that indeed currently FtM is more taboo, less accepted or just itself a lot rarer?

El_Machinae likes this.
  3. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

I think that there’s something lost in translation in this post because I am having trouble parsing it. I will answer the best I can.

Transwomen can’t crossdress while wearing women’s clothing because they are women.

Transmen have access to hormone replacement therapy and affirmation surgeries. Obviously these treatments are different than the ones for transwomen.

As for what’s more common or socially acceptable I can’t say. I think that transmen are more often left out of conversations but I don’t know why. Generally anti-trans groups hate transmen just as much as transwomen, although the demeaning and hateful rhetoric is sometimes different.

El_Machinae likes this.
  4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I think that, if one wants to be all-inclusive, it does make sense to include (even) a subcategory of crossdressing as TG, though obviously only in a type of TG which isn't bound to transition. At any rate, I did so only out of courtesy, not as some reproach (one can easily imagine the hypothetical that someone is a crossdresser, but still at times self-identifies as TG - or at least I think this can happen).

My guess re FtM is that it is just a lot rarer. If so, I would suspect this ties to at least some of the MtF traits not having to be incompatible with just M traits (say, having no body-hair). In this specific example it is easy to see that it doesn't hold true for F compared to FtM, since a non TG F would not identify body-hair as a positive trait.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  5. NinjaCow64

The broader umbrella term I believe you are looking for is Gender Non-Conforming (GNC).

HRT for transmen often induces increased body and facial hair growth. Clinics dealing with trans youth have noted an increase in the number of transmen seeking medical treatment to the point that transmen now outnumber transwomen in youth clinics. Its hard to determine the causes of these demographic trends and research opportunities are limited for obvious reasons. Idle speculation based on no or extremely limited evidence is very unlikely to bring anyone accurate results.

6. NinjaCow64

I'm not trans, but I have better understanding of trans issues than you do.

I finally found the full text of the bill. These signs, which have very specific designs mandated by law, are not welcoming.

Also don't understand why you are supportive of this clear overreach by the government on private enterprise given your love of the free market. The Tennessee State Government has indicated that business owners will be charged and arrested if they do not comply with this bill.

I know. I am not a fan of Joe Biden. I struggle to think of a single U.S President I can even tolerate outside of Lincoln.

Gorbles likes this.
  7. Kaushad

Kaushad Chieftain

Do you remember what you've heard said against trans men in particular? To me, it looks the other way around if anything, although maybe it's different in Britain.

bernie14 and AmazonQueen like this.
  8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I haven't heard anything, I just notice that there are a great many subcategories of MtF already in pop culture, while the same isn't true for FtM. Of course I could just be wrong. At any rate some of those (obviously not ones that require non-bacchian drugs) were also known in antiquity, among the few cilivized civs (ie just the 1 to 1,5) :)

9. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

The law itself is putting a star on the door of every establishment that has inclusive arrangements. And then there is leeway in the law that allows the manager to signal whether they're intentionally inclusive or accidentally so.
    The law itself is hateful. And then any specific store's design of the sign will be individually indicative of their position.

Waaaaay back were examples of signs that were hateful and signs that were trying to be neutral. Given that there's a spectrum of hateful <-> welcoming, we're actually quite capable of judging each sign. And the victims of those signs are going to be more useful in interpreting how they're received.

Yeekim and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

No it's cool you see, @Berzerker thinks it's going to be a positive for the trans community, despite them desperately begging cis people to repeal and block these laws

11. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

The middle point back then was overwhelmingly on the side of hateful. It was little more than 20 years ago when it was still okay to openly regard any of LBGTQ as subhuman and slurs were casually spoken everywhere. Even today I would argue it still is such even if people are more cautious with the wording. (Though definitely not in some places)

Why? Because now bigots actually are being held accountable for their crappy beliefs, when they didn't have to when it was the norm. So when they call for an appeal to moderation, know what it really is.

Drag it all the way to welcoming! Screw the rest. ;)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Birdjaguar and AmazonQueen like this.
  12. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

So the sign posted by @Broken_Erika earlier actually doesn't comply with legally required design - the one in the actual law being marginally less horrible, at least.

13. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Yeah, this was pointed out by Manfred Belheim a while back. That said, I fail to see the relevance of pointing out "at least" the bill mandates something that, in your own words, is only "marginally less horrible". I can appreciate looking for silver linings in a variety of situations, but the entire point as put forward by several posters is that the entire thing here is trash, top to bottom.

NinjaCow64 likes this.
  14. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

tjs282, Sofista, Kyriakos and 3 others like this.
  15. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Do you think images of dogs and hoses used on black protestors helped promote civil rights? The sign will too.

16. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

That bill is definitely straddling the compelled speech prohibition of the First Amendment.

NinjaCow64 likes this.
  17. Birdjaguar

Dogs and hoses were nightly fare on TV just like the Vietnam war. In both instances Civil rights and anti war positions gained public support. Bathroom signs will not be on TV.

Gorbles, NinjaCow64 and AriaLyric like this.
  18. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

upload_2021-6-7_22-32-44.png

NinjaCow64 and Birdjaguar like this.
  19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

they'll be staring back at all those people using bathrooms

Gorbles likes this.
  20. Birdjaguar

After they see the signs a few times, they will become invisible.