1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

LGBTQ news

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bernie14, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Sommerswerd, Gorbles and Birdjaguar like this.
  3. Samson

Samson Deity

The way to do the NYT is to go to their onion site.

emzie, Angst, Kyriakos and 1 other person like this.
  4. Samson

Samson Deity

"Gay Genes" help straight people have more sexual partners

I have only read the abstract, it is not on Sci Hub yet. It is based on a previous paper from 2019:

Five autosomal loci were significantly associated with same-sex sexual behavior (SSB). In aggregate, all tested genetic variants accounted for 8 to 25% of variation in male and female same-sex sexual behavior, and the genetic influences were positively but imperfectly correlated between the sexes.
    The new paper looked at these and others in opposite-sex sexual behaviour (OSB) individuals:

Among OSB individuals, genetic effects associated with SSB are associated with having more opposite-sex sexual partners. Computer simulations suggest that such a mating advantage for alleles associated with SSB could help explain how it has been evolutionarily maintained.
    Spoiler Graphical abstract of 2019 paper :

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  5. sendos

sendos Immortal

Sometimes, I question my heterosexuality and I am still single and a virgin. So, at least from my perspective, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

6. Samson

Samson Deity

Do note that the effect sizes quoted are very small. The middle of their confidence interval is about 1 in 8 of the observed difference being accounted for by all the identified genetic loci. So pretty close to meaningless on an individual level.

7. red_elk

red_elk Deity

The article is about genetic effects. I don't think it should be interpreted as those who question their heterosexuality should have more opposite sex partners.
    There are likely a lot of other reasons why people may question their heterosexuality except having specific genes.

Angst likes this.
  8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: The article about effeminate Chinese males and Chinese gaming has been moved to the game thread.

9. Synobun

Synobun Deity

It is really embarrassing that you all feel the need to hijack a thread about LGBTQ news to spread homophobic rhetoric and then devolve further into mind-rotting gender and diversity jokes lifted straight from your choice of far-right radicalization forums.

Drakle, Gorbles and Angst like this.
  10. Birdjaguar

Moderator Action: Thread locked for now. :(

11. Birdjaguar

Moderator Action: We cleaned up this thread by removing all of the posts that derailed it and turned it ugly, It is now reopened to return it to its previous state of keeping up with the appropriate News. If you want to discuss more controversial issues related to the LGBQT world, please open a new thread. This is meant to be a friendly thread. Thanks.

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

News (posted today afaik)

upload_2021-12-13_16-59-42.png

Did she have to use 1984? Pretending to be a serious writer? :mischief:

As to her argument, I am pretty sure that a person can indeed identify as female and still be "penised". Also, some "penised" mtf/cd/other do use that organ energetically. Now, obviously, if it is so clear-cut that an offender (rapist) only pretends to be that to be sent to a female offenders prison (?), then some kind of investigation can take place.

13. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

She's gone off the deep end, it seems.

14. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Well, that's the crux of the argument though, the weight and reach of "identifying as", and wether identity is defined by oneself or not.

15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Bottom dysphoria is very common amongst trans people, though you don't need dysphoria to be trans.

However, the oft-repeated claim that tall bearded men are pretending to be women to use the women's loos is almost certainly a total fantasy and (of course) totally sidelines the entire existence of FtM trans people.

16. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Blah blah blah, its the same arguments as were made against gay people in the 90s. They've substituted new words into the "vulnerable person category" and the "degenerate sexual perverts we must defend against!" category, but otherwise theres nothing new and little of substance.

Gorbles, NinjaCow64 and Samson like this.
  17. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Happy Transgender Day of Visibility, everyone!! :wavey:

18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    IglooDame and EdmundIronside like this.
  19. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

This was strange. He’s come out as trans but I heard he plans to not transition and still uses he/him pronouns and some people thought this was a cynical ploy to get attention away from his fleeing the scene of an accident.

edit - looking at the article it has been several months since the accident.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  20. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

(bolding mine) I read it as he's figuring out how to go forward. Transitioning is a lot of various steps, and different people take them in different orders.