LGBTQ news

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bernie14, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Nice Post overall and I do not disagree with any of it nor the part I quoted. I am not the enemy and am already on board. You have the longer perspective that I have and the understanding of what it takes for cultural change. Legal changes requires lots of "disinterested" people to sign on and getting the support of those folks is usually slow and calls for friendly outreach over time. Animosity is a poor path to win folks over. Thanks. :)

2. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I think this argument got started over the alphabet soup that LGBT has become with every variation of not straight and cisgender being added and even people who aren’t exactly homosexual or bisexual but who just experience attraction differently.

Then cloud strife responded and it became about trans issues somehow.

I don’t think being very specific about sexuality and gender really bears comparison with wanting more representation with race. For one thing, identities like Australian Aborigine and Roma are not neologisms for concepts people didn’t previously recognize and for another, it seems like people insisting on a form that they be represented as Ligurian or Luxembourgish instead of white or European.

3. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Too bad, so sad.

We are not erasing identities to satisfy exclusionary gatekeepers trying to narrow down the movement and exclude people from it.

cardgame, Arwon and Gorbles like this.
  4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Couldn't one make the argument that by over-specifying one is diluting the impact? Like, we talk about how the black community suffers from systemic racism; we don't specifically call out African immigrants, southern blacks, great migration blacks, Afro-Caribbean blacks, etc - all of whom it can be argued experience racism in a unique manner.

João III and The_J like this.
  5. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I'd argue the distinction between Afro-Carribean, African Immigrants, etc, is more akin to the distinction between the different varieties of Gay (Twinks, Bears, etc), They're both sub-group within a well-defined group.

LGBTQ... etc is more equivalent to the much looser, much harder to define, and much more complicated "People of Color" or "Non-White" notions. Queer is probably the closest we have to Colored, and it's probably just as controversial due to its historical use, and non-straight, non-cis is problematic because fundamentally all you're doing is taking LGBTQI...etc and replacing the actual LGBTQ2+ terms with "not the opposite of that". Which lends you the same problem because every group you want to add requires a new "not (insert the antonym of the new group)", with the same result.

Gender, and Sexual Diversity/Minority is probably the closest we have to what could be a fixed umbrella term, and even that could be quibbled with (but Romantic attraction is close enough to sexual to still work).

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    cardgame and Gorbles like this.
  6. Arwon

Arwon

My man do you actually understand how silly this sounds

7. Synobun

Synobun Deity

I have to admit I am seemingly incapable of understanding why the make-up of the acronym matters or how its length impacts tolerance beliefs from the laypeople. This whole discussion on revising it or reinventing it is lost on me. I don't get the point or see how it matters. Surely nobody believes these minorities will be accepted more by bystanders if only their branding were Coke instead of Pepsi.

cardgame, Gorbles and Evie like this.
  8. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

It's because once something becomes silly, even people who supported the initial idea start distancing themselves from the group. For example, look how no one calls themselves part of The Tea Party anymore after they got associated with silly hats & video game memes.

Becoming silly can quickly kill support, & an acronym with 10+ letters/numbers/symbols is silly.

GenMarshall, João III and NovaKart like this.
  9. Synobun

Synobun Deity

Why is it "silly"?

Gorbles likes this.
  10. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Ok, and the teahadists were a bunch of white boys whining about taxes. The LGBTQ+ community is comprised of people currently being gunned down in the street demanding human rights and equal treatment under the law. Do you not see how this is an absurd comparison? Or how it might be insulting to people who, again, have to spend their days wondering things like if this trip to the bathroom might be the one that finally gets their face caved in on a sink?

Cloud_Strife and Gorbles like this.
  11. Arwon

Arwon

Mate if one's acceptance of basic equality and freedom for others depends on not being too bamboozled by mean spirited caricature, I would suggest the problem lies with the person so poorly committed to basic equality and freedom in the first place. The letters can't hurt you, nobody actually cares if you understand them, just don't support or excuse oppression and bigotry.

Gorbles and Bugfatty300 like this.
  12. João III

João III King

The hostility to some mild critiques of an unwieldy acronym feels more telling than the critiques themselves

13. Synobun

Synobun Deity

I too like to post cryptic dog whistle one-liners.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

The hostility to some mild critiques of (even unintentional) bigotry feels more telling than the critiques themselves.

15. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

thank god we've got someone with no skin in the game telling those that do that they're hysterical

i don't need to easily understand someone's life to not want to actively make their life worse off lmao

16. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Moderator Action: Once again, this is a news thread, not a "let's tell people why you think they're wrong" thread. Comment on the news, not each other.

Furthermore, if you think that LGBTQQIAA2S sounds silly, don't use it - just say LGBT or LGBTQ or what have you. You do not need to wave your personal comprehension level around in front of everyone else.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  17. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Maybe the Dr Who audience has been diminishing for years and they are trying their luck at new ideas?

Last time I watched the show, Dr Who was still this guy:

upload_2022-5-18_3-47-50.png

Reruns on greek state tv at the time - probably was watching it around 1989, in elementary school.

19. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Or maybe they're just casting good actors and actresses for the part, as reportedly she's been great in Heartstopper.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

How are the ratings going? (like I said, I haven't watched it since - and even that not while it was running on bbc - the Tom Baker era :D )