1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[LH] Erwin Rommel

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by dutchking, Jul 18, 2008.

1. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Download

The "Desert Fox" was a lifelong German soldier and arguably the greatest general of the second world war. Requested by DWOLF yesterday. :p
    UPDATED TO MODULAR 7/19:

2. Refar

Refar Deity

This one looks really unique.

3. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

The only high ranking officer to actually lead Germany in WWII was Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz... who became head of state after Hitlers death.

DWolf requested the wrong officer!

4. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Thanks Refar. :)

I took Hannibal and gave him Frederick's skin, then took De Gaulle's body and skinned it and to top it off took Stalin's hat, curved the rim up to be more Third Reich like and then put shaders on Hannibal and put finishing touches.

Came out good.

5. DWOLF

DWOLF Death Before Dishonor

Great work dutchking, I didn't expect him this fast. Great Work...

oh Wolfshanze, what am I going to do with you...:mischief:

I requested Erwin Rommel because I WANTED to have him as the leader of Germany. dutchking was kind enough to do my request. If you disagree, just ignore this LH. Besides Dönitz only was in office for 20 days or so...

6. cameronpollett

cameronpollett Chieftain

hey Cool, could you do a Zhukov?

7. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

I wasn't talking about Dutchking or his model (which is fine)... I was speaking of the history related to your request.

That would be exactly 20 days or so longer then Rommel was in office. :mischief:

8. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Amen, and your welcome. :p
    Great idea! I'll start working on that soon.

9. DWOLF

DWOLF Death Before Dishonor

Too Che Wolfshanze...

:yup:

I know you didn't say that about dutchking's model. I just thought it would be cool to have Rommel on my game and dutchking was "GOD" for doing my request.

10. cameronpollett

cameronpollett Chieftain

AWESOME, thanks man

11. C.Roland

C.Roland FFH Art team member

Nice one ! We can't recognize the head. My only complais is the metallic look of the shaders. Maybe you can play with the specular and specular map to make it look less glossy.

12. dutchking

dutchking Deity

I know. :blush: I kind of forgot a bit of my shader technique after so long, but I'll get it back soon.

And this is my dilemma: I think Rommel's head looks just like Zhukov but I think to use it again would be lame, what leader do you think would be a good base?

13. cameronpollett

cameronpollett Chieftain

add a few sharper features and just a few pounds to Roosevelt

he looks allot like my pop

14. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Good analysis...

I think I may just do that.

15. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

Only reason Rommel didn't end up leader is cuz he committed suicide after the July 20 assassination attempt. As such he died a German hero instead of a convicted and hung traitor. :)

16. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Karl Dönitz was no traitor... there were plenty of people that needed to be hung at Nurenburg for political expediency.

Had Rommel been in Dönitz's shoes at the end of the war and been put in charge at the very end, his fate would have been no different.

The winners write history and hand-out justice... sometimes a little revenge slips into such matters. Karl Dönitz was no more a war criminal then Erwin Rommel. The US Submarine commander gave the same orders of unrestricted warfare in the Pacific that Karl Dönitz gave in the Atlantic and was hung for... yet the American commander wasn't hung for warcrimes.

17. JustATourist

JustATourist Lost in Translation

Well, I am not sure yet, if I want to have a general (even if he was quite brilliant) as a german leader. But the LH really looks unique and I have downloaded him. Good work. :)

18. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Thanks. :)

I guess they could be used for alternate uses, if any coders wants to make some sort of army organization mod. A unit could be a division and you could put Rommel as its commander and his head would show up in the advisor screen or something. :p

19. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Deity

Dutchking... I have a similar idea...

I would like a mod with Civ-specific advisors... Domestic, Military, Culture, and Science advisors, probably.

For example, if you play as Germany, you could use Rommel, but if you play as America, you get Patton. (Of course, their names would be simply Military Advisor)

Although the advisors don't necessarily have to be lookalikes of famous people... there should be some that are.

America should have Patton as the military advisor, Elvis as a cultural advisor, and Sid Meier in a lab coat (as an homage to Civ III) as a Science advisor.

20. PW90

PW90 Warlord

You are very in making great and unique looking leaderheads :eek::goodjob:
    If it haven't said before, I would not guess of who your Rommel is based of... :goodjob: