[LH] Lizardman (Test Leader)

C.Roland

FFH Art team member
It's more a test than a leader. I wanted to test the High Resolution mesh sculpting in Zbrush for genering normal maps for civ4 LH.

Moderator Action: Download

This is two object (Lizard and Armor) that are attached to the torso and head bone, no complex rigging. You can use it as a leader, but the rigging si to much simple for a nice result. If you want a better Lizardman, a new rigging (and maybe new anim) would be better. Also, the sleeves of the armor are too short, so you should move a bit the obects and/or camera. Ahh, and because it's only a test, there is no noshader version. Horever, creating a noshader version from a shaded LH is pretty simple with textures baking in Blender or max, so if you need a noshader texture with shadows, I can make or explain the process of texture baking.

Here is how I proceed if you want to see the effect of the normal map :

First, I sculpted a LizardMan Head in Zbrush from a sphere.

After, from a low poly mesh, I made an armor for him in Zbrush :

Both textures are made in Zbrush with polypainting.

After, I generated the normals map in Zbrush and exported it.

Refar have imported it in Max and export in nif with shaders (Big Thanks to him !)

Here you can see (with a gray DIFF texture) the effect of the normal map

So the test was succesfull and this will help the creation of better quality LH in the future :D I'll probably reuse the armor for a LH too.

This looks great. Those normal maps really add a lot.
Maybe i should give it a try as well (once again :mischief:)

Does ZBrush create the UVW mapping or can you use the mapping from your imported object ? I just wonder, why the Armor has a more or less conventional unwrap, while the lizard head looks like a auto-map (which would be a pain to edit later...)

This is of course not a issue on this test.

This looks great. Those normal maps really add a lot.
Maybe i should give it a try as well (once again :mischief:)

Does ZBrush create the UVW mapping or can you use the mapping from your imported object ? I just wonder, why the Armor has a more or less conventional unwrap, while the lizard head looks like a auto-map (which would be a pain to edit later...)

This is of course not a issue on this test.

Thanks again Ref for the export. If you take a look in the Vercingetorix thread, you'll see an other armor that I would like you to add shaders :D It will be the last one before our Cleo collabo ;)

With Zbrush, you can texture directly on the model before your Unwrap (that is what I did). Zbrush offer some Unwrappind methods (spherical, planar, cylinder or tiles unwrap), but you can also use an uwrap made from an other progam (blender in my case for the armor). Horever, I just started blender and I have a lot of difficulties to use a UV map from an other program. I don't have any tutor so I have to learn it by myself so it's long sometimes :D

:sarcasm:

Oh come-on now... I don't see what using the default Khmer LH and calling him a "Lizardman" is anything we can call a "new" leader head!

:sarcasm:

I don't know him but Strategyonly does.

Just saw this today, LOL thx snipper, you know best, and thx.

Please if anyone can help out on this would be great !! Always need a 3d animated LH for Fantasy Units and Beyond.

Man this is brilliant! I remember you sending me that stuff before... :mischief:

And strat, I'll get the pic to you soon.

Bah, its better that you asked him. :p

I've got lots of stuff I've got to give people anyway. ;)

So what happened with this concept?

Zbrush could make completely new leaderheads without editing old ones from what i understand. We could even make dragons and stuff if we wanted. (how cool would that be?)

Ah, this thread was bumped, so i can comment :D.
Yes, the leader is in the database :yup:.
I use it in my mod as the leader for my mutant race, and it's really a nice and unique leaderhead, just awesome.
The only problem is, that you can sometimes see, that he has no arms, but that's not a big one.

There simply ain't one made by C.Roland. (maybe he got bored?) If you due a simple copy and paste, you can put Peter's arms on Lizardman. :lol:

Actually I plan on using this torso for Tamerlane. I told Igor I'd help him with it a WHILE ago, and once I finish up flavoring the units for my mod I'll finish it up for him.

Hmm.. My mind isn`t very creative (probably the reason why i'm not moddnig leaderheads right now..) so I can't see he torso being used on a human yet..

I need a reskin to see it. =\ I'm really curios as to how Tamerlane will end up if this torso is used.

As for the Idea of ZBrush to make new stuff for leaderheads, what do you guys think of it? Feasable? I wouldn't know as I struggle to reskin leaders. :lol:

*FIXED* link to Zbrush

Top Bottom