1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[LHs] Roman Emperors

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Ekmek, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Aranor

Aranor Emperor

Whether you credit me for the armor or not it matters not. It's the rest of the work you put into the LH. The armor helps get it over the line, that it all, without it it would still be a simply amazing LH.

2. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

May I suggest Numa Pompilius to fill in the early part of Rome.

3. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

reskin and some minor adjustments like the brows you were talking about. Montezuma is a good model for trajan, but you can still see his face. imo a perfect Leadhead needs to make people unsure who your base model is. In this leaderhead you can still see Montezuma, if you make him less noticeable then i think this deserves 5 stars. Right now it's sitting at 4 and a half stars. ;)

4. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Yes, but Hereditary Rule would not really suit Augustus (he claimed he was restoring the Republic even as he centralized power in his hands). Julius might be another matter, however. Despotism would probably be the next best thing, but you can't do that because it's the most primitive civic!

Let's just say it reflects the inherent paradox in ancient Roman imperial government. :crazyeye:

Suggestions for early leaders:
    Cincinnatus
    Brutus (not Caesar's assassin)
    Scipio (either one)
    Sulla
    Pompey
    Marius

5. JustATourist

JustATourist Lost in Translation

I like Trajan. Allthough you can see he is a modified Montezuma, he fitts very well into a roman armor. This strong chin make him really look like a roman statue. But I think Caligula looks still very shiny.

6. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Augustus was the worst! He was far more autocratic then Julius was... he put all the power in the hands of the Emperor and put it into law... thing-was... Augustus was quite clever about it and though he had all the power of Rome at his will, he showed some restraint and cleverness about it... actually, it was his grandson Caligula that checked-out Roman law and realized this one thing...

"What if you have done if you had been given absolute power of life and death over everybody else in the whole world?"

Well, we know what Caligula did with it. Augustus put into place a position of absolute power where the only check was the self-constraint of the person given that power.

"Representation"... yeah... right! :rolleyes:

7. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

All power granted to Augustus was done directly through the Senate, and it had to be done each time a new emperor was declared. It wasn't until the lex de imperio Vespasiani that new emperors automatically inherited full power upon taking the throne. (Notice I said throne there - indicative of monarchy!)

I'm not saying it was representation, but it had the facade of it. Even Trajan, the optimus princeps, supposedly deferred to the Senate's authority. It too was a sham, or in the words of one historian, "a well-managed confidence trick," but it worked. It had the formality of being a legal representation, though in fact all power was concentrated in the hands of the emperor, backed by a strong army. As I said, this is part of the inherently paradoxical and often contradictory nature of the principate.

Honestly, you could make a different argument against his favorite civic being representation: in the game, it's more in line with modern constitutional representation, like the early United States or parliamentary Great Britain.

And please don't insult Augustus as being "the worst"! I don't insult your username, pal! :p :lol:

8. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

UPDATES

- note that in the zip the mod is now called: Rome Expanded for these zips and any future ones

*minimized shoulder armor
    * adjusted the brow to look less like montezuma

Download Trajan version 2

* fixed gaps between hair and head (thanks wolfshanze!)
    * adjusted neckshadow tone
    * slightly enlarged background to get rid of in game red line at bottom
    * blurred the background more
    Download Caligula version 3

9. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Darn! I can't stay away for a couple of days without missing out on all the fun!

First off: another great LH addition!:goodjob: (Though I can't help wondering how he'd look without the helmet...)

Second: Representation is what the Roman republic stood for, however pretentious. Under Augustus there were both imperial and senatorial provinces (imperium, the power to command, being derived from the senate), and until the soldier-emperors no emperor could ignore the senate unpunished; if not in life, he'd be denied deification thereafter (i.e. he'd be considered a bad emperor). Ofcourse the representation bit was a sham, but it's always a bit of a sham, because of the theatrical abilities involved (meaning, once elected - or acclamated - one can basically get away with anything if one's clever enough). Caligula didn't like the sham, which as precisely his mistake and why he was done away with. In the end, being emperor is just like any job - only a lot harder.

10. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Caligula's a pretty boy. :):lol: Nice texture.

11. IronicBuddha

IronicBuddha Work in progress

Caligula and Trajan look a lot better, especially the shoulder armor for trajan.

12. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Deity

How are you guys doing with the Caligula XML?

13. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Huh? I've already got Caligula in my mod (up and running)... what's difficult about the XML portion?

14. Ekmek

15. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Deity

I did mean it.

16. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

This may sound stupid, but I forgot/can't find the XML line/command/file that points to a custom diplomatic script. I'd be happy to do a custom script for Caligula, but I forgot how!

17. Ekmek

18. Refar

Refar Deity

You use XML\GameInfo\Civ4DiplomacyInfos.xml to assign text to different diplo events/responses. The hitch thereby is - Civ4DiplomacyInfos.xml is one of those files that can't be modular - this is probably why you dont find it in your setup for Caligula.

19. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Caligula looks too cartoony.

20. Refar

Refar Deity

That what makes him so particulary great - he fits right in.