1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Liberated Civs dont like you??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sleepysteve, Oct 13, 2010.

1. sleepysteve

sleepysteve Chieftain

So I have been being the world police in my recent game for some time, I have liberated three different civs from the Songhai, and not a single civ that I just brought back from the ashes is friendly towards me!! I think that sucks, anybody else having the same issues?

2. VonOmar

VonOmar Chieftain

Same problem for me and yes it sucks. Yet city-states love you when liberated. At least the liberated nation will vote for you in the UN

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Has been reported as bug :(.

4. lkjggfs

lkjggfs Chieftain

I liberated a CS and it came back as allied to Egypt who I was at war with, so then they DOWed me and I took the city for good.

5. Alfonso X

Alfonso X Chieftain

Yeah i liberated Paris thrice in a game, and the frenchs still hated my guts, despite i did nothing to deserve it. I only was 4th strongest civ, and i didnt settle near them or traded with their enemies.

6. Black PrinceIV

Black PrinceIV Chieftain

I liberated Washington and he declared war on me 10 turns later.

7. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Chieftain

I think that it is apart of the new AI mentallity of "playing to win". The current AI system always start taking a negative stance on you the moment you become an agressor, even if they act the same way.

So, despite being liberated, you method was of military action and will use that for their reasoning to hate you.

I personally miss the old AI idea of being a character in your "story" and not a cut throat opponent hell bent on winning.

8. MRM

MRM Chieftain

If the AI is programmed to win, then why did it always fail to do so, even if the AI is in the position to win ?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391448

Btw I don't like it either, that liberated civs hate you - strange behaviour

9. paganizer

paganizer Chieftain

I liberated (and revived) the aztecs in my old game - just for fun really. I had the strongest military in the game, owned an entire continent (on huge map) and I had most of my military around the now liberated aztec city. 2 turns later he tells me i'm pathetic (compared to his one city and no military units?)... lol.
    I decided Montezuma was best the way he was.. extinct :)

10. Fistalis

Fistalis Chieftain

Its not a bug they are playing to win.. not gonna win being your little sidekick:goodjob:

11. MRM

MRM Chieftain

Ah, they play to win ... and it is a good idea to annoy the civ that just liberated you and is in the position to wipe you out again, if you want to win ? Well, not really.

12. Clement

Clement Layman

There are many things about Civ 5 that i really like and others that i don't like much at all, i can live with all of them, however there is one thing that pretty much ruins the game for me personally and that is the "ai plays to win" philosophy, and even then only because it does'nt work, if it worked well i probably would'nt have a problem with it.

I would'nt expect the AI to try and lose, but if it was really trying to win at any cost it would not declare war on it's liberator once it had been wiped out, it would be all smiles and bide it's time until it was strong enough for one of the victory conditions again, it may even join you on your wars and ask for cities which it could use to improve it's position, it should, for the most part, be friendly to all Civs in the hope of getting back to it's former glory.

I'd like to put forward an idea if i may, make the Ai feel that a high score at the end of the game is as important to it as the other victory conditions, that way it would be free to honour it's friends whilst still having a shot at at the title as it were, if it values high score it will be in a position at some point to go for any of the victory conditions.

I really miss the ability to be friends from beginning to end with a Civilization, the current model has removed so many random stories that used to pop up in my games, i currently know for the most part how every Civ will react, with violence and ingratitude, frankly it becomes predictably boring.

13. Fistalis

Fistalis Chieftain

So they should what? Suck up to you while they build their army then sneak attack and raze your cities? Either way same result. Simply the "Play to win AI" was a design decision. I don't like it either but were pretty much stuck with it.. sure they can tweak it but even in the above scenario you get the same result.. which is AI will eventually turn on you again there is absolutely no GOOD reason liberate another civ.. it was just a "hey look at this neat thing we can add that has no play value due to our diplomacy design." Because again.. even in the above scenario the CIV is going to turn on you.. so there is NO REASON to liberate him.

14. MRM

MRM Chieftain

IMO they should fix it this way.

Make liberated civ vassal states
    Let vassal states vote for you in the UN

and to balance this, make votes from City states harder. Its lame and far to easy, that you can buy them just before the vote anyway.

15. Fistalis

Fistalis Chieftain

Problem with that is.. they removed vassal states entirely to streamline. Its one of the many complaints from us CIV IV lovers that we expressed and were told to shut up and get over the fact that they gutted so much from it:p

16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

Don't confuse "an AI that plays to win" vs. "an AI that plays like a jerk". Once you pass a certain point of weakness, staying under the radar is the best action - because all others are suicidal.

17. Knocky

Knocky Chieftain

That is not a bug, that is accurate programing to reflect real life. :lol:

18. Draknith

Draknith Chieftain

I have yet to really see any of this. My current game Songhai DOW on me early. I quickly took the battle to them and won. Years later, Greece DOW on Songhai and after comming to their resucue and liberating them in the second Greek Songhai War, they have been great friends with me despite the fact that we have engaged in war against eachother.

This is probably because the French need desperate times to feel adequately "French". It's just in their nature to hate themselves... haha

19. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner :trophy:

People want to believe there's a reason the AI acts the way it does, so "it plays to win" is a nice catchphrase, but winning and being stupid aren't the same thing.

20. teks

teks Chieftain

Sick of the AI playing to win. Sick of the AI attacking everyone around it. I can't even make peace with ghandi...