1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Liberty AND Tradition (2013 BNW)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TM Moot, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolvenheart

Wolvenheart Chieftain

2 policies is not deep into a tree. You might get those policies slightly faster by taking tradition before liberty, but even that is debatable as you are significantly slowing the latter policies in liberty, in turn significantly delaying some of the better benefits of that tree. If you're taking this approach, then really the question is which tree you would like to dip into with liberty, and in most cases I'd suggest piety or patronage are much better for that purpose.

2. Wolvenheart

Wolvenheart Chieftain

This is exactly the point: I don't agree that's ideal at all.

Would it be nice to have both fully unlocked? Of course. But by the time that's feasible you are (or should be) competing with choices in rationalism and your ideology. So it's not a question of which should go first; it's a question of whether one or the other combined with other trees is better than the two combined.

3. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

I tend to like going Tradition and Liberty when aiming for earlier-game culture, generally because I'll be focused on building wonders and whatnot, so getting the Wonder boost from Tradition and the free things from Liberty are appealing, on top of the higher base culture per turn, and later on the free culture buildings, which I like to save for Amphitheaters. I find it's a good path for the likes of France or Brazil or so when I'm intent on building the Great Library and Parthenon. Those two are probably the ones this is the best path for, otherwise you probably want to go more straight down a single tree. Scientific and other civs that want massive cities want Tradition, expansionist and production-oriented civs want Liberty, militaristic civs want Honor, religious civs want Piety. Obviously the exact setups vary and depend on a starting position, whether you start with huge food potential or lots of space to expand or have many hostile neighbors, but that's the general setup there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.