Liberty Domination Walkthrough

Nice guide Moriarte :goodjob:

Few questions :

Is it possible, in BNW, for a regular civ to stop by Machinery(before Education) and push up even more and earlier if opponents aren't warmonger crazy? I'm guessing that China and England can do it automatically. Same for Arabia and Mongols or maybe Songhai for Chivalry?

There is a gap between CBs and artillery. What if you fail at capturing early cities? Is it still faisible? Thoughts?

Well you insist about the ''safe'' part so it's all about happiness capacities and AI relations i guess.

Absolutely. I did it once with Poland. (used XB for protection from AI's who had enough of me) Pushed back and kept conquering, but mostly, I guess, due to the nature of Poland being the best civ for early protectionism. I find this path too stressful, btw :D.

Well, no strat is perfect recipe. If you fail, you can at least keep trimming that civ until reinforcements arrive, GE for NC makes sure you'll be among first in the world to get Xmen, all the while pumping units.

Nice one - good to see a liberty guide up here for a change, and a well-written one at that. Will give her a go as soon as I ram the last cluster bomb down ghandi's throat in my current game.

I find East India very helpful, especially with civs like Portugal and Morocco. If hammers are really great, i'll 100% go for it, otherwise.. depends.

You mean rushing pyramids with GE? Again, if hammers are wonderful (NC in < 13 turns), then why not. At that point i'll also be considering Oracle for fast consulates.

No. I mean starting pottery->masonry and hard building Pyramids.

No. I mean starting pottery->masonry and hard building Pyramids.

If you follow that path, you might end up loosing precious expansion spots and you won't have good CB pack, likely. It might work with no neighbors around though.

If you follow that path, you might end up loosing precious expansion spots and you won't have good CB pack, likely. It might work with no neighbors around though.

I guess the difference between Immortal and Deity is too big. Maybe I should move up.

Ok, just tried this. Keep in mind I'm usually a win-every-time Emperor player who's dabbled in Immortal a few times in G&K. Deity is like nothing I've ever seen. I followed the build order as Genghis, even got the pyramids 'cause I had some marble, got NC on time. built a bunch of chariots and made them keshiks. Austria was right next to me so I decided to take ONE city. Omg they had pikeman the first few turns, then started coming at me with musketmen, even a couple cannons. I had seven keshiks and it was all I could do to take the city. I just don't know how I'm going to keep doing this with the way deity AI spams units and is ahead in tech. I'm thinking of trying to take Delhi, which is next to me. but ghandi already has longswordman and it just has a faith wonder, nothing else. thinking I should wait for artillery. we have a dof, so I think I will wait till that expires. On the other hand, I'm a warmonger, so maybe I will take it, Idk.
I think it interesting that in the first 20 turns, I declard war on Ghandi and took a worker. I sued for peace a few turns later and the next turn he offers a DOF. He really IS forgiving!
The tech lead and unit spam is kind of discouraging..so I don't know if I'll play it out. Maybe I'm only cut out for Emperor/Immortal. I think this strategy would ROCK on the lower levels though. My biggest problem is happiness. I'm just so not used to not having a religion...

In love with this build on Deity. It's pure thuggery, from the early worker steals (one from the AI and one from a CS is optimal), to having enough archers to get a city and a pile of gold per turn (or a capitol) while still finishing NC and getting to Education in excellent time.

Highly recommended for players if you liked the old G&K 4 city tradition starts and their easy transition into aggressive late classical era warfare ,but find Tradition just doesn't have the spare hammers for fighting in BNW.

How do you steal from an AI early in the game? I find at Deity they usually have enough troops to kill my guy before I can get my worker back to safety.

Spearman upgrade from a ruin is a reliable steal, but even a warrior can perform a good worker steal. Wait for the worker to show up in a exposed position-it will happen. Sometimes they will also move between cities which is usually easy grabs.

I wouldn't try to steal w/ scouts in Deity unless the worker was moving uncontested between cities.

Do you have time to go and bully CS for workers and cash? Do you find it worth doing?

When do you add barracks to your unit production cities?

Really like the thread and trying to inspire a new strategy from it.

I like the benefit of early archer compared to a tradition start however, I can see no way of surviving a close deity spamming rams attila with this.

Yesterday got my ass handed back to me trying this strategy and:
+ turn 50 - bribed him to DOW Dido - 10 turns respite
+ turn 60 - bribed him to DOW Washington - another 10 turns respite
+ turn 70 - nothing left to bribe with "ouch"
+ turn 71 - DOW from Attila
+ turn 75 - Game over

So yesterday I streamed a very extreme (and very poorly played, I went on tilt early on when something specific happened and just basically assumed the game was going to be trash even if I won out) example of liberty into warfare. Here's the replay. Please don't judge me I am pretty bad at the game, but it is deity and it is liberty roughly using this strat.

http://www.twitch.tv/rloutlaw/b/438015731

Pretty sure I can still win this game and I don't think any kind of tradition opener leaves me in as good of a position as liberty did this game (I am going to actually hard build the NC and use the first great person for an academy to get science rolling faster since my cap has so much excess production and only have three non-puppeted cities). If your neighbors decide to set up right in your grill, liberty starts are really the only way to come out of the situation ahead of the game. If I had played passive this game would have been a disaster.

So yesterday I streamed a very extreme (and very poorly played, I went on tilt early on when something specific happened and just basically assumed the game was going to be trash even if I won out) example of liberty into warfare. Here's the replay. Please don't judge me I am pretty bad at the game, but it is deity and it is liberty roughly using this strat.

http://www.twitch.tv/rloutlaw/b/438015731

Pretty sure I can still win this game and I don't think any kind of tradition opener leaves me in as good of a position as liberty did this game (I am going to actually hard build the NC and use the first great person for an academy to get science rolling faster since my cap has so much excess production and only have three non-puppeted cities). If your neighbors decide to set up right in your grill, liberty starts are really the only way to come out of the situation ahead of the game. If I had played passive this game would have been a disaster.

Can't be that bad if you play deity ;). I watched some parts of your vid. The only thing I may have done differently: settle 2 more cities instead of 3 and grow them all a little bit taller. Then annexe Copenhagen, and the rest of the good cities, gradually.

Then again you reserved the corner of the map completely and no one is going to bother you after you kill Harry. (until you start bothering them)

Good luck winning this map. I think you're far from losing it.

I like the benefit of early archer compared to a tradition start however, I can see no way of surviving a close deity spamming rams attila with this.

+ turn 75 - Game over

Sometimes on Deity you're just dead. Usually involves some combination of too much jungle / sea resources for you and too much salt for them. :/

Good luck winning this map. I think you're far from losing it.

I think I'm in good shape too. I can hard build NC late (only three non-puppet cities currently, should build fast) and use the free GP for a scientist since I don't really have an essential build needed in the capital,. The second great general can expand my third city into the two best tiles of the nearby CS (the silver and iron). Then just grow vertical w/ civil service and good hammer output , steal education from Babylon / Poland and tech straight for Fertilizer (best tech path w/ Inca IMO).

If I can keep my two friendships I should be able to get enough RAs to keep pace in tech. I know I can bribe in Poland into some wars to keep them busy and as soon as Harold expands to some terrible spot I can take his current last city for another plot of land.

Should be able to time machine guns+artilery vs. polish winged hussars and "end" the game with conquering Casimir.

+ turn 75 - Game over

Try this

+ turn 15 - DoW Attila and enslave his workforce.
+ turn 59 - Attila's court is surrounded by 7 CB's a spear, scout and a warrior.

If his Cap. is completely inaccessible, just train your CBs until they turn into something decent, while growing your empire. 6 - 7 CBs won't cripple your economy much., if you have 3-4 cities, caravans, markets and some luxes sold.

Can't just rely on bribes with Attila sort of AIs.

If you really want to prepare yourself for that kind of thing, fire up deity duel Pangaea map versus Zulu and try killing him before he gets too many impis, all the while growing decent cities. If you can do that, you won't fear any early neighbor ever. ;)

There is a huge difference between t.55 CB upgrade and turn 65 CB upgrade. Late upgrade can get you killed easily.

I agree, because I m trying to build a model, I impose myself too many restrictions (no hut, rubbish early civ like France) and do not adapt to the game which can be dangerous.

I did stole a worker early from him, but turn 59 only had 3 Cbs and he would have steamrolled me. Guess thats where i failed. Should have gone 6 CB and Dow him to enjoy free promotions.

Really well done guide.

I've really not had much time to play outside of LPing lately but I've been doing a similar build to this in BNW like I did in G&K and you can get rolling pretty fast as long as you don't get blocked off by something annoying(like I dunno, Austria with the Great Wall :rolleyes:)

My only concern is that on Deity the AI seems to have a borderline fetish for Flight and loves to push there so hard, and even though Great War Bombers aren't super strong a big mass of them can do a real number on your Artillery so I often find myself having to go Flight first. Like really 99% of the time the AIs go Flight before Dynamite and often hit Modern with it(or Radio if culture inclined) .I've seen this since G&K. Do you have this problem particularly often and how do you go about dealing with it?

Top Bottom