Liberty Free Great Person Choice

Civologist

Chieftain
What are people finding works best here or is there really a flavor choice here now?

The choices seem to be:

1. Use a Great Prophet to found a religion

2. Use a Great Prophet to enhance your religion

3. Settle a Great Scientist

4. Use a Great Engineer to rush a wonder

What are everybody's thoughts? With my play style I'm torn between settling a scientist and founding a religion. One of the upsides to getting a great prophet is that it doesn't bump up your great person counter like the scientist or engineer would.

I tend to use it for enhancing my religion, after naturally spawning my first G. Prophet. Afterwards I spend my faith on Cathedrals/Mosques and Missionaries. For culture games I go for maximum happiness and for everything else, maximum Profits. "The merchants and the traders have come; their profits are pre-ordained"

Faith is to easy to get, I used mine for Macho Picco? And after seeing the results, It will go into my rotaition!!! You can live with 2 GP the whole game, The AI's love Macho Picco? Granted you need a city within 2 space of a mountian, but they are pretty common as far as I can tell.

I dont think ive ever gone for anything but a GE just because the long term benefits of popping something like Notre Dame outweight anything another GP could do. But im playing vanilla still, so idk about G+K.

I get a GE, and plant it. Get 3-4 manufactories, and you're a wonder maker... 5-10 turns or so (around 20 on marathon). One wonder is not worth it, to me. Planted GE... the gift that keeps on giving.

I get a GE, and plant it. Get 3-4 manufactories, and you're a wonder maker... 5-10 turns or so (around 20 on marathon). One wonder is not worth it, to me. Planted GE... the gift that keeps on giving.

What tile is the ideal one to plant it on...hills?

Cows, sheep, or deer. Basically you just want to put it on your best tile that doesn't gain some other benefit. I don't like hills because those will gain extra production from mines after Chemistry, but it would be acceptable.

liberty is for littel girls, tradition is king ;D

Ive always wondered honestly, It seems that even when im building a tall empire(which is litterally every game) that I always go for liberty, just for the settler acceleration and Great Engi pop.

I put them on plain hills. Then finish up the Freedom tree, and BAM! Double hammers from the manufactory! In my current game, the only mine I have is on iron. And I suppose I could plant a GE on that too... but I just stick to hills. And academies on plains or grass.

I feel that rushing Hagia Sophia is still the way to go in GAK. Yes it doesn't grant a GP of choice anymore, but you really really want to be in control of your own beliefs so not getting that prophet is really out of the issue. If you already spawned a prophet then great, use it for the enhancer and you won't be so spoilt for choice on the liberty finisher - either get a GE or GS. It's really really a waste to choose a prophet for the finisher, believe me.

You'd never guess that, but today I took... Great Admiral as a Liberty finisher!

I was left alone on an island with Washington (who got promptly eradicated), and thanks to Great Admiral I got in touch with all other civs in the world before anyone else. And guess what - I could even trade with them, centuries before Astronomy.

For me it's a bug that needs addressing, but it's still funny to decide to pick a Great Admiral some time in Classical Era xPPP

You'd never guess that, but today I took... Great Admiral as a Liberty finisher!

I was left alone on an island with Washington (who got promptly eradicated), and thanks to Great Admiral I got in touch with all other civs in the world before anyone else. And guess what - I could even trade with them, centuries before Astronomy.

For me it's a bug that needs addressing, but it's still funny to decide to pick a Great Admiral some time in Classical Era xPPP

Don't barbarian ships kill them? Too much of a risk, IMO.

A bit of a risk, but one that can be avoided by simply staying off coastal tiles as much as possible. That early in the game, the barbs won't have any ocean-worthy ships either. The advantages that can be gained by meeting civs on the other continents/islands and being able to trade with them long before Astronomy outweigh any risks, in my opinion.

Top Bottom