Life in 2109: Envision the Future

I imagine a world without your compulsive posting. I also imagine a terraformed Sahara.

I agree on the Terraformed Sahara. I can imagine it being capable of hosting vast grassland.

Well... here is one possibility. Partly based off of something I recently heard on CBC radio.

Coastal regions worldwide will have suffered massive floods and loss of land. Agricultural production will be down in much of the world especially equatorial regions. Russia will be fortifying it's border with China if not in a war (assuming the chinese havn't won already) and settling and developing Siberia.

India and Pakistan will have gone to war over water, hopefully no nukes were used but it is entirely possible some went off.

Africa will be in even worse shape than it already is.

Israel and it's neighbours will probably still be in a state of war.

Oil will be increasingly expensive which leads to a multitude of problems.

The USA will have locked down the US-Mexican border with the army, and using deadly force if nesecary to keep displaced mexicans and central americans from trying to move into the US.

Canada will be selling water to the USA.

Again, coastal regions will be heavily affected, many people would have been resettled into the interior, although this is unlikely to be entirely finished.

China will also have a hard time fighting against refugees from south-east asia.

Many more droughts in warm regions, along with floods, and more and more large hurricanes and tropical storms.

Hopefully this is heavily exagerated, but it might not be.

PrinceScamp - I really don't understand why the world in 2109 will mostly be dealing with the same problems we're dealing with now, but then to the second degree. I'm pretty certain that the problems that will have to be tackled then will be, for a good part, different. Most of our worries now aren't the same we had in 1909.

I also have my doubts on a lot of those statements, because they're mostly based on a world caused by inaction. You can deride humanity for many things, but when it's our own lives and property that's at stake, we can be surprisingly cooperative and innovative.

And as for my personal view, well, I have no idea really. It'll probably be substantially different, in many ways. I can't say if we'll go more into the positive or the negative direction, that's for a good part for our generation and the ones coming to decide.

After the advent of the Singularity at the end of the 21st century, humans and computers will merge and the resulting joint bio-artificial intelligence will successfully upload itself in a self-sustaining perfect virtual simulation where it will be able to exist forever in a state of perpetual bliss.

Incidentally, this is the most common outcome for sentient life across the Universe and the reason why we do not see other advanced alien civs. Why bother living in an Universe ruled by physics and time where you can live forever in a little box and be the ruler of your own universes?

I agree on the Terraformed Sahara. I can imagine it being capable of hosting vast grassland.

It hosted vast grasslands once, and soon it will host them again.

After the advent of the Singularity at the end of the 21st century, humans and computers will merge and the resulting joint bio-artificial intelligence will successfully upload itself in a self-sustaining perfect virtual simulation where it will be able to exist forever in a state of perpetual bliss.

Incidentally, this is the most common outcome for sentient life across the Universe and the reason why we do not see other advanced alien civs. Why bother living in an Universe ruled by physics and time where you can live forever in a little box and be the ruler of your own universes?

For some reason or another that idea scares and slightly nauseates me.

That kind of stuff, and the fact that I have a deep mistrust of robots (my little cousin was playing with one once, and even though I knew it was just a harmless toy, I didn't like it at all when it came in my direction. I tried to read its emotions, motives, and saw nothing) could possibly majorly screw me over in the future. =P

That kind of stuff, and the fact that I have a deep mistrust of robots (my little cousin was playing with one once, and even though I knew it was just a harmless toy, I didn't like it at all when it came in my direction. I tried to read its emotions, motives, and saw nothing) could possibly majorly screw me over in the future. =P

The good news is, you won't really have a choice ;)

Well, I almost cried when seeing this video a couple months ago. The robot teacher (in the year 2030ish) with that girlish T-shirt on it was absolutely disturbing, alongside with this trippy music.

Who knows just think about how much the world has changed since 1909.

Just because the technological singularity will happen doesn't mean that we will merge with the AI ala SMAC and Diaspora. The technological singularity is, after all, the time in which technology is so advanced that it is impossible to predict what will happen.

I envision a thread about 2209.

If the world even lasts to 2109, humanity will have done one of two things.

1. Cured most if not all human disease, solved the world's energy and food problems, and I also predict a Chinese guy will be elected president of the United States under the new conservative party after the republicans go under.

2. Modern civilization is destroyed by neutron bombs and stuff. By 2109 the remnants of humanity have successfully made gods out of an '07 Hyundai and the cryogenically-frozen body of Walt Disney.

If the world even lasts to 2109, humanity will have done one of two things.

1. Cured most if not all human disease, solved the world's energy and food problems, and I also predict a Chinese guy will be elected president of the United States under the new conservative party after the republicans go under.

What United States? You mean China? :mischief:

Top Bottom