Life Thread I: No God => Life is Good.

Borachio

Way past lunacy
Er... having thought of this idea for a new thread, I now find I don't have much to say about it. Yet.

So...

1, 2, 3....

GO!

(Never mind. I'll think of something in a bit.)

edit: Oh yeah. Live life! Be life affirming. Live in the present.

(That's about it, really.)

I hope this will not start a new trend like boiling downs. :hide:

never mind

I'm not sure I accept the premise that 'life is good'. Our current lives are due to our enslavement by evolutionary urges that were selected for over billions of years.

We're evolved to think that life is good. We're select to have the neuroanatomy to believe it.

Er... So you don't think life is good, but you do think life is good? Is that a fair representation of your position?

I wish religion were true. It would be a very comforting thing to know that one does not truly die when their body ceases to support its continued existence.
Well first of you cant be the body since you are not in full possesion of it.

And why wouldn't we be, Mr Machinae? If evolution produced an organism which didn't value its continued existence it would go extinct pretty quickly, wouldn't it?

I think that's what you're saying, anyway.

I'm not sure I accept the premise that 'life is good'. Our current lives are due to our enslavement by evolutionary urges that were selected for over billions of years.

We're evolved to think that life is good. We're select to have the neuroanatomy to believe it.
Evolved by whom or by what may I ask? And whats the point of this evolution anyway? Sophisticated enslavement?

And why wouldn't we be, Mr Machinae? If evolution produced an organism which didn't value its continued existence it would go extinct pretty quickly, wouldn't it?

I think that's what you're saying, anyway.

I think what I am saying is that you cant fully identify with something you dont have full control of.

I've thought before that the people who wrote the lyrics to that didn't have English as a first language. Isn't it Europop?

"Live is Life" doesn't parse well.

edit: yeah, Opus are Austrian. Thought so. Doesn't make it a bad song, of course.

I think what I am saying is that you cant fully identify with something you dont have full control of

Yeah. You may have a point. I'm not very sure about it, though.

Evolved by whom or by what may I ask? And whats the point of this evolution anyway? Sophisticated enslavement?

I don't think there was a 'whom' or that evolution has a point. Natural selection selects for life, whether it's the instincts of a fly to avoid being swatted or us thinking there's something inherently good about life.

Isnt it obvious that when your brain dies you cease to exist? Everything you think and believe in is only a figment of your thought process, once thats gone so are you.

Learn to YOLO. Enjoy the only life you will have. Living your entire life due to beliefs in what will happen to you after you die is a life completely wasted.

I can't see what you might lose by living this life as if it's the only one you'll have in any case. Whether it is or not.

A reverse Pascal's wager, if you like.

Oh, you might miss the opportunity to be a suicide bomber, of course. Then there's the occasional mother who sacrifices her life for her children. Kirsty MacColl.

Link to video.

Let's not be over categorical about this.

I don't think there was a 'whom' or that evolution has a point. Natural selection selects for life, whether it's the instincts of a fly to avoid being swatted or us thinking there's something inherently good about life.
If evolution didnt have a point it would be haphazard and it would be called chaosmuddle.

Isnt it obvious that when your brain dies you cease to exist? Everything you think and believe in is only a figment of your thought process, once thats gone so are you.

Learn to YOLO. Enjoy the only life you will have. Living your entire life due to beliefs in what will happen to you after you die is a life completely wasted.

So you are the brain? And the only way to really get to know yourself is to open your skull?

Top Bottom