1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Like watching paint dry...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bossconian, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Here --- We --- all --- must --- go --- through --- again.

Ratings & Critics are for anti-gamers.
    Fun is for people who actually PLAY (even if they do NOT enjoy it!) the damn thing.

However, one more post caught me reacting.

2. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

The user recommendations are an extremely good filter, and the ones rated as "useful" by hundreds of people are uniformly quite good and detailed. The most deadly thing for Civ 5 is that the best written and most recommended reviews are uniformly quite negative, and quite specific in the problems.

3. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Who rates how useful the reviews are?

4. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Other customers.

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

At least one is probably from here, i'm sure i've already read it somewhere.

6. PieceOfMind

So would it not essentially be the same population as those who actually provide the reviews?

And going by the statement that the user reviews are an "extremely good filter"... The most recommended review is pretty much just a rant against the game. (I guess this comment is directed at ohioastronomy again)

7. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

Professional reviewers typically don't take the time to do a game like Civ 5 justice. They get their assignment, spend some hours playing it then write their review. There are exceptions of course but for a complex game like Civilization you can't trust professional reviews.

User reviews are almost worthless. They typically don't rate whether it is a good game or not they rate whether they liked it or not. Or if they have a beef with the publisher or developers due to a different game they will rate it bad just out of spite.

8. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

I don't know about video games specifically but, in my experience, Amazon's customer reviews are generally spot on the money. I have rarely been disappointed by products that customers recommend. Any time I make a purchase of something I'm not familiar with, I always check the reviews on Amazon even if I eventually buy elsewhere.

I actually thought that most helpful positive review and the most helpful negative were both very good (wasn't the most recommended one positive BTW). It's not surprising at all that people recommended them. My one complaint is that the most helpful positive review is based on only a few hours experience. Several people here noted that they only started disliking the game after playing for a while.

Edit: I should add that, while I can't know, I don't think they are the same population. I suspect that most of them are people who are considering a purchase, not those who actually have bought the product.

9. cman2010

cman2010 King

This is what I think happened the first week with civ 5 I play it for 20 hrs alot for me on a game in one week, but now I have just hit 100 so at first you think this is awsome and now you think this is a good game but has some problems.

10. gaiko

gaiko Warlord

@theOP

"Watching paint dry" and "broken" are rather two different things. A game could be perfectly unbroken and still be utterly boring. Conversely, finding ways to "break" a game can in itself be entertaining.

CivV is certainly broken in various places. It is certainly not boring. I think this latter "complaint" tends to come from those who early on who made a conscious decision to refuse to play the game to any length and depth.

I can easily cite having experienced 1) radically different strategic styles; 2) interesting strategic pivot points; 3) actually losing some games. If I have a compliant, it is just that the strategic pivot or "tipping point" arrives too early.

11. Geek113377

Geek113377 Human (Usually)

And you're saying that the ancient/modern/future era in civ4 isn't?

12. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I had great fun reading that thread. He got busted and instead of admitting his fault he started out a series of personal attacks. tsk tsk tsk.

1) Reviews, no matter who writes them, will always be subjectile. To use reviews you need to find likeminded fora.
    F.ex a danish restaurant, NOMA, was ranked as the best restaurant in the world.... Well, since I'm not fond of Nordic food, I would rather enjoy a 1 euro thai street kitchen meal than a 2 star michelin awarded, 200 euro dinner. Meaning that the "best" food critics in the world would be more or less useless for me.

2) Wasnt Civ4 and BtS also sequels? ;)

13. PieceOfMind

Well not BtS, but civ4 yes absolutely (but really it's only a semantic difference and could be argued). Wander by the civ3 forum and you will find many civ3 fans were disappointed with civ4.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=400516

That was pretty much my point.

14. hussar

hussar Chieftain

I have had my suspissions that this forum has increasingly become a tool of Firaxis, it seems when ever a post even to one labelled 'I hate this game' or one goes on for too long the moderators close it down, claiming this is trolling, this is going nowhere, there are other posts on this topic. Go back and look for yourself. All the threads that talk down Civ 5 have been closed.

I have been posting here for half a decade and only since CIV 5 came out have I started to get infringement notifications or threads being closed, SIMPLY FOR STATING MY OPINION.

SO I guess there is certainly something going on with this website behind the scenes that involves Firaxis that they don't want us to know about.

Who knows, let the moderators prove me wrong and leave this thread alive.

15. Osama Bin Davis

Osama Bin Davis Warlord

People are surprised that most the major reveiwing sites on the net have been bought off?

IGN and gamespot have been useless for many years. How can you expect a site to give an impartial veiw on a game when they have been paid to feature it on the site?

The last guy that spoke his mind at gamespot got the flick, he was comepletely right though, kane and lynch was nothing special he gave it a 6.

But its not just the reveiwers that have a problem, its the people that read the reveiws and rely on them. It seems if a game doesn't get a 8 -10 score the game isnt worth playing. Everyone seems to worry more about the scores than the comments about the game, which is weird!

16. hussar

hussar Chieftain

Exactly right, we have a gaming mag here in Australia called PC Powerplay and I wrote them calling them corporate whores some years ago because any game from a big company allways got 8-10 no matter how bad it was, quite obviously they were getting kick backs.
    <PDMA snipped>
    Moderator Action: If you have a complaint about a particular moderator action, take it up by PM with the moderator.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

17. Shafi-is-back

Shafi-is-back Prince

I have played a total of 112 hours of ciV (out of which 48 were in the first week after the release) as of two days ago i have shut up shop and just out of needing a civ fix gone back to civ IV.

Now i have not played civ BTS in about a year, as i had reached saturation point, but after having tried in vain to enjoy ciV for about two months, i suddenly find BTS awsome again i dont know how long my new found joy in BTS will last but that so far is the best thing about ciV.

So you know which side of the fence i am on :D. But, yeah i too am hoping ciV gets better one day so i can enjoy it.

18. PieceOfMind

Moderator Action: If you want to keep a thread like this open, then don't derail it - this is not the place to talk about this forum's policy. If you have a beef with the forum policy, post about it in the Site Feedback subforum. If you disagree with a specific moderator action discuss it with the moderator in question in private.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Let's get back to the topic please.