1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Likely to be 4K compatible?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by CaptainKoloth, May 15, 2016.

1. CaptainKoloth

CaptainKoloth Chieftain

I know we don't know the answer to this yet, but just to throw the question out there as food for thought whenever we do know; I was planning to upgrade my hardware around release date anyway but having heard negative things about how Civ V scales in 4K and about the performance of XCOM 2 at that resolution I'm wondering whether Civ VI's UI will be scalable and how well it might perform at those resolutions.

2. jmknpk

jmknpk Chieftain

Would you mind providing more detail about exactly what you mean by "4K", CaptainKoloth? Are you referring only to a graphical resolution metric? I am simply curious.

The graphics card in my non-mobile hardware does not support DirectX 11. I will purchase a new machine as soon as I can scrape together the money. I would be aiming for a general best fit targeting evolving technology for the future. But in the past, I have bought hardware mostly to satisfy requirements of specific apps, specifically a game.

3. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Civ 5 will run at 4k fine but the UI will not scale well to the new screen size. If your monitor is big enough that isn't an issue but for high-DPI monitors Civ 5 was bad at high resolutions. I can't imagine that Civ 6 won't run at 4k resolutions.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Why would you want to play at 4K with those cartoonish graphics? ;)

5. rschissler

rschissler King

I'm sure it won't be optimized for 4K, so it won't make any difference. Even if your graphics card and 4k monitor is able to upscale, the real effect will be minimal at best.

6. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

What? Have you played V in 4k? The maps are just lovely seeing all that stuff all at once. The problem is the UI. It takes a lot of tweaking to get the alpha/numerics big enough (and I had a 58" monitor) to read and then you get clipping problems. But all they need to do is provide for the UI to be scaled to 4K (or whatever resolution the user prefers), that is not that hard to do, other games are starting to do it.

7. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf King

4k on civ 5 is about unplayable on a 27 inch monitor due to scaling issues with the UI. I suppose you need at least an 40 inch monitor (perhaps bigger).

No info about 4k on civ 6 yet. I dont take any chances and go for a 27 inch 1440p monitor. Hoping it will scale a little bit better then civ 5.
    Ui on 27 inch 1440p barely seems to be readable for civ 5.

8. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

You can make the fonts a bit larger. PM if interested I can give you details on how.

9. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

I think it's a given that Civ VI will run on 4K monitors.
    But it might very well be that UI would be too small under default standards since the primary concern for UI programmers will be more mainstream graphics cards & monitors.
    Note that manually tweaking the config file has always allowed doing some things that the UI setting screen doesn't support.

10. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I would be happy if UI was big enough in 1080p, for 15.6" laptop screens.

11. nzweers

nzweers Chieftain

I asked a live youtuber to show the graphics options and at least it says there is an 'UI Upscaling' option. Here is the screenshot:
    Spoiler :

Moderator Action: Large image wrapped in spoiler tags

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  12. Alsark

Alsark Noble

Sorry man, but it's only 2K. It says so on the box art.

13. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

That looks promising! I'm planning on doing a 4K build in the next half year or so and it will be nice to have Civ VI work well at that resolution.

14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I would also be curious how it would look on a 5K iMac with retina display (even when playing the Windows version via Bootcamp/VMWare/Parallels).

15. swissMAG

swissMAG Chieftain

And I hope we get 21:9 support out of the box without any config edits. CIV5 worked just fine, but you never know...

16. narmox

narmox Emperor

It's only 2k compatible..

(you know, because of the game publisher... ;) ;) )

17. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

It's 4X done by 2K. It should be 4K compatible. I'd say it should be 2X compatible to 4K.

narmox likes this.
  18. ZenSpider

ZenSpider Chieftain

So that's 8K then?

narmox likes this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm going to run the game in 4K on a 27" monitor. I expect it to look great. All my other games do.

20. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

:D:D

I'm glad to see some jokes here and there in this superserious forum