Limit techs granted by Great Library?

sepamu92

Prince
Is there any way to prevent certain techs from being granted via "Gain Any Advances Owned by 2 Civs" wonders? In other words, let's say I want Horse Riding to never be given through the Great Library, even though two other known civs have researched it. AFAIK, making the techs untradable doesn't make a difference.

I could always just make those techs unavailable to the civs in question, but that's definitely not ideal.

Thanks in advance!

This could be a long-winded explanation. Ah well.

You can make techs specific to certain civs or groups of civs. This is achieved by creating a dummy tech - let's say it's "European culture" and granting this as an untradeable free tech to all the European nations. You could then have techs in any area that have "European culture" as a prerequisite, and only European nations will be able to research them.

The Great Library will only allow you to gain techs that you have the prerequisites to. In this example, if the USA got the Great Library, it would still be unable to get those techs unique to the European nations, as it would never have access to "European culture," which is one of their prequisites.

I hope I've explained myself well enough - and that it helps!

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice the line "I could always just make those techs unavailable to the civs in question, but that's definitely not ideal." I guess that means it's not useful info after all.

Is there any way to prevent certain techs from being granted via "Gain Any Advances Owned by 2 Civs" wonders? In other words, let's say I want Horse Riding to never be given through the Great Library, even though two other known civs have researched it. AFAIK, making the techs untradable doesn't make a difference.

I could always just make those techs unavailable to the civs in question, but that's definitely not ideal.

Thanks in advance!

Your only option is eliminating that feature from the Great Library. If you choose to do that, I would recommend having the Great Library give either 2 Free Advances or Double Research output instead so as not to make it a useless Wonder.

Your only option is eliminating that feature from the Great Library. If you choose to do that, I would recommend having the Great Library give either 2 Free Advances or Double Research output instead so as not to make it a useless Wonder.

No, sorry - I didn't explain myself perfectly. What I have is a wonder with "Gain Any Advances Owned by 2 Civs", so the player's civ gains a tech at the right time in the scenario. But I want only this one particular tech to be given, and for all others to need to be researched separately.

No, sorry - I didn't explain myself perfectly. What I have is a wonder with "Gain Any Advances Owned by 2 Civs", so the player's civ gains a tech at the right time in the scenario. But I want only this one particular tech to be given, and for all others to need to be researched separately.

Given the way the game is hard coded, that is not going to be possible. Even if there were a way of setting it to work for the Human player, I strongly suspect that the AI would not be able to handle it.

Top Bottom