Line Infantry and Antitank new promotion class

If .. According to my discussion with Boris.... Melee class and Anticav class should be united in Industrial Era to form a combined class... 'Infantry' that earned benefit of both. and supposing that coding this new upgrade scheme is possible. This reorganizations will inevitably compelled another class to be made a new and not a lineage of pre-modern unit classes. which means AT Crew has to be trained from ground up instead of upgrading pikemen or pike and shots...
1. What are promotions of 'Infantry' (or pick the name of new classes) you considered appropriate and reflects this union?
2. And what should 'Antitank' class promotions be?

with more armies using rifles in the 1800s, there really wasn't a dedicated anti-calvary unit I can think of that rifle infantry couldn't fulfill already.

in Civ 5 you had the pike which upgraded to the lancer which upgraded to antitank gun. in terms of history it was a strange upgrade path, since cavalry units like the British Light Brigade had both lances and sabres, but it worked in the game.

maybe:
pike > mounted infantry/dragoon??? > antitank gun > etc.
to counter against:
knight > cavalry > tank > etc.

1. What are promotions of 'Infantry' (or pick the name of new classes) you considered appropriate and reflects this union?
Promotions as in their promotion tree, IE, battlecry, tortoise, commando, etc?
Or promotions as in unit upgrade path?

Is there a reason infantry needs to split off into a new promo class, beyond the existing "melee" promo class? Would effort be better spent just tweaking the melee promo tree?
Taking the opposite approach, should heavy cav be split to an armored tree if Line Infantry get to be distinct from melee?

As for an antitank class, what the promotions should be depend heavily on the unit line itself. The this intended to be similar to now, where AT crews have a combat strength similar to infantry? Are they a specialized unit that only excels in taking out tanks?
Do you want them to have offensive potential or primarily defensive? Melee attacking or a 1 range unit?
These are all things to lay out with the units you create before moving to promotions.

And you could always make AT crew a support unit that gives the unit its attached to more combat vs tanks.

If .. According to my discussion with Boris.... Melee class and Anticav class should be united in Industrial Era to form a combined class...

I kind of agree, let me get my notes...

Okay, my idea was that 'melee' and 'anticav' should be split up FURTHER, because of the problems you're probably trying to solve.

My idea was that instead of 'melee', the class should be 'elites', I'd call it 'Vanguard', partially to explain its roll, and partially to step away from using a description that describes half the units in the game... To compensate for this, some of the upgrades will become 'Anticav' Here's the progression:

1. Warriors=>Swordsmen=>Great Swordsman=>Landsknecht=>Grenadier=>Storm Trooper=>Mechanised infantry
2. Spearman=>Pikeman=>Halberdier=>Pike& Shot=>Musketman=>Modern Infantry...

In other words: the spearman line is the 'stand in blobs and shoot anything that comes close' infantry, and the Vanguard is the 'smash through and beat up the nerds' infantry. I think it might be worth extending the 3 movement of mechanised infantry into the entire line to represent their mobilisation.

Top Bottom