Linking calendar date with technology?

KaTiON_PT

Emperor
Currently the in-game calendar works according to what's defined inside "CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml". How feasible is it then for each technology to have a specific call (like when you're the first to research it e.g. liberalism) that changes the game calendar when it gets researched by the tech leader in a game?

What do you mean change the calendar date? Do you not want the date to progress until a technology is discovered?

I mean the actual calendar date changing according to researched technologies, as in, for example, when you research a tech in a new column the game calendar would update and advance in terms of centuries/decades/years.

Oh, that's a bit more complicated. I cannot answer this without looking it up, but it definitely requires a DLL change. If you're willing to go that far (and set up a DLL compiler if you haven't already), let me know.

The date is calculated off of an XML file that indicates how long a turn is. If you want that to be made dynamic based on the discovery of techs then it could require some dll work. However (as far as I know) the date is only used in the Python display everything else is based on game turn. If this is the case then you could just replicate the dll function that converts game turn into date with your extra requirement in Python. Just change the bit of Python that does the display.

A number of Python mods have done this. Platyping has one that replaces the date with the era.

It all depends on how granular you want the turn/date to be. Do you want less granularity in the dates and just have them based on the tech discovered and not changed by turn or do you still want the date to change every turn just reset at tech discovered? The latter will be most difficult because you wont want the date to go backwards if it takes too long for someone to get a tech.

The first one is what I had in mind, where dates are based on discovered technology. Thank you both for guiding me to where I should look!
A number of Python mods have done this Platyping has one that replaces the date with the era.

Interesting resource, thank you for finding it.

Top Bottom