1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

List Enhancements for VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by adan_eslavo, Nov 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Infixo

Infixo Deity

2. adan_eslavo

adan_eslavo Archmage of all Pixels Supporter

upload_2018-12-13_23-52-4.png upload_2018-12-13_23-52-19.png upload_2018-12-13_23-52-29.png upload_2018-12-13_23-52-41.png upload_2018-12-13_23-52-58.png upload_2018-12-13_23-53-10.png upload_2018-12-13_23-53-40.png

vyyt, TadhgEomonn and Infixo like this.
  3. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Emperor Supporter

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=226866703

I think from from research that the Tectonic script seems to be overall a good script for fun and playability. The others seem to be more focused on realistic looking continent generation or climate patterns. But, in VP, it more about game balance and it seems Tectonic fits the bill more so vice communitas/planet generator/perfectworld/fantasy.

Attached Files:

4. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Sorry for the late reply, I saw your message in a hurry on my cell and then forgot where it was. I am usually alternating between Tectonic, PlanetSim and PerfectWorld3++. I like Tectonic because you can create a map huger than huge and the terrain seems quite realistic. I ran some tests in the past to compare different settings and - because I am a bad person :) - I forgot what I concluded back then. So sorry, I will not be able to provide much info about the settings. I am getting satisfactory results when I leave everything on default.

One thing I remember from my tests though is that the results were quite variable/random - which is both good (the maps are not repetitive) and bad (sometimes you don't get what you expect).

A few things to be careful about:
    - I think it is the plate movement speed (or whatever it's called) settings set on rapid, which creates mountain ranges. Sometimes it can create nice natural barriers, but if overdone, it will create something like a maze (only in some parts of the map) with long 1-tile-wide valleys surrounded by mountains (a stony variant of the Communitas 1-tile-wide sea-river mazes when you add too many civs). This can be fun once or twice, but as you have probably already guessed, the AI has difficulties dealing with it and if it has to invade through the "maze", it will fail horribly.
    - not sure if this is random or possible to avoid by some settings, but sometimes you get continents connected to both poles (not you and @Infixo, the "p" is not capital) and then the ships cannot circumnavigate
    - I personally never found this too bad, but sometimes people complain that the map script creates a huge inhabitable polar region and they are swarmed by barbs which keep spawning there. I never had a (big) problem with this, maybe I was just lucky.

EDIT: I forgot to mention - another great thing about this map is that it often creates blocky continents, very suitable for warring. The AI despite being 1000x better than in vanilla Civ5 is not very good at warring in sneaky/narrow/complicated terrain, it needs some space.

Infixo, ryanmusante and adan_eslavo like this.
  5. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Love the screenshots of your upgraded lists! Is the military unit list already using the given unit names or is the "Rotting racoon" a unit from a custom civ or 3/4UC?

<derailing sidenote>
    I am eager to try these out once I finish my current game (for some reason, my savegame did not load and crashed when I added your mod - it shouldn't though, right?). I would have ditched my game normally, but I am testing something: I decided to give a mod-modding a second chance and in order to learn, I added a WWII cruiser to @Infixo's excellent ENW, and as it went well, I needed to differentiate it from the battleship enough, so I created a new role for the dreadnought-battleship line and while doing so, I "accidentally" overhauled the whole industrial - modern tech tree. So I want to play this game through first, to test if everything works. Already in industrial, so I hope to finish the game soon.

How do you guys stay sane with modding civ? How do you debug? Writing a new bit of code, then going through the mods screen, setting the right conditions with IGE and then again if you add/adjust the code, going back to the main menu and then repeating the whole process again is so time-consuming and tedious. Do you have some special trick in your sleeve for speeding this up?
    </end of derailing sidenote>

6. adan_eslavo

You must create scenario with IGE and save game. With UI things it is easier beacuse game updates the screen continuously and you don't have to reload the game. Then you only load, load, load and check every time.

I attach latest version in this post.

New github update (v4.7):
    upload_2018-12-15_20-30-41.png upload_2018-12-15_20-30-54.png upload_2018-12-15_20-31-7.png upload_2018-12-15_20-33-30.png

Attached Files:

ryanmusante and vyyt like this.
  7. vyyt

vyyt Deity

@adan_eslavo, thanks for the reply. Is there any rule to tell if it is necessary to quit to the main menu before reloading? I suppose when the db or VFS is updated?

Is the unit list already displaying the player-edited unit names? For some reason, @Infixo's unit list stopped working completely for me (probably a mod conflict).

8. Infixo

Infixo Deity

9. adan_eslavo

Yeah, they work separately. There should be no mod conflict. I use them together during tests.

10. vyyt

vyyt Deity

@Infixo + @adan_eslavo , yes, I know, I expressed myself poorly. I meant I probably have a conflict between Show XP and some OTHER mod I am using. I will find out after I finish my current game.

ryanmusante, adan_eslavo and Infixo like this.
  11. ryanmusante

@adan_eslavo Do all your mods use the same font size and settings? Were you planning on putting the grid formatting into list enhancements?

12. adan_eslavo

I didnt plan to put grid formatting into LE. I will thinkbof this but I dont have my comp until saturday so my progress has stopped.

I try to use same font size in every LE window to get best results. I didnt compare this stuff between mods but I will check that.

ryanmusante likes this.
  13. ryanmusante

Cathago Nova and Sulci both are WLTKD because they have gained the resource needed to trigger. Yet, the List still shows the resource underneath. Is that supposed to remain, would it only change once there is a new request?

Attached Files:

14. adan_eslavo

It should change to blank.

15. adan_eslavo

Fixed the WLTKD issue. Added grid colours:
    upload_2018-12-22_21-52-25.png upload_2018-12-22_21-52-42.png

vyyt, ryanmusante and civplayer33 like this.
  16. ryanmusante

Is it possible to have some kind of indicator to show when a city is garrisoned? So I can tell immediately from the list rather than hovering near the map area?

vyyt likes this.
  17. adan_eslavo

Mhm, that should be no problem. I need to think of something elegant.

18. adan_eslavo

upload_2018-12-23_13-21-58.png

Beta v4.9 for anyone eager to test it out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    JNZS13, vyyt and ryanmusante like this.
  19. ryanmusante

Is this intentional setting for this mod? I notice for some of your mods but not all.
    Code:
    <AffectsSavedGames>1</AffectsSavedGames>

20. adan_eslavo

It's default one. I am never sure if something affects or not saved games. UI mod probably do not interfere with that.

I saw you used that mod with Carthage. HOw do you feel with it? How it performs in long term?