1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

List of best medieval units graphics for BtS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Asjo, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

I've spent at good deal of time looking for units to add in my Civilzation BtS game to make it more enjoyable. I only play conquest games, and modern combat is quite boring and monotonous, so I mainly enjoy earlier combat, when various civilzations start getting their unique units. I haven't added new units, but just put them in the civilization where they, in my head, belong the most. It really spiced up my game and makes for some great variation.

What I'm wondering is if there are any great units that my game simply shouldn't be without.

I have added the following units:

• Kogge (new unit class. First I did it for all civilzations, but decided I I missed galley being used my, so I limited it to Egypt, and made it a cargo-ship replacement for Arabia and Korea due to new unique units)
    • Xebec (Arabia)
    • Guan Yu (China)
    • Medjay, longbowman style (Egypt)
    • Hungarian Knight (Greece)
    • Firewagon (Greece)
    • Kobukson (Korea)
    • Mandekalu (Mali)
    • Roman Light Cavalry (Roma)
    • Quinqereme (Spain)
    • Norse Swordsman (Viking)
    • Longboat (Viking)
    • Zulu Knight (Zulu)
    • Javelineer (Zulu)

----
    • Prodromoi (Babylon)
    • Bireme (Byzantium)
    • Crusader (England)
    • Hypaspist (Byzamtium)
    • Huluganni (Celt)
    • Medjay, archer style (Egypt)
    • Mamluk (Egypt)
    • Templar (England)
    • Blackwood Archer (Ethiopia)
    • Skuda (Greece)
    • Horseman/Light Cavalry (Inca)
    • Peltist (India)
    • Arawak Canoe (Native America)
    • Tomahawk (Native America)
    • Apache Scout (Native America)
    • Bagatur (Netherlands)
    • Maccabee (Persia)

A lot of the units I added the other day from the "Extra" BtS mod (those listed beneath the line). Funnily, adding the units took just a few hours, but a change I made to the Kogge unit class took me two full days of trial and error to find. The bunch of units I added before that took more work, especially as many of them didn't work with BtS as I had originally added them for Warlords.

I have attached the XML-files, should anyone be curious as to how exactly I have implemtented the units into the game (UnitInfos for content, and ArtDefines to clarify which graphis I use, LeaderheadInfos modded for agression and big wars). I have uploaded the unit graphics I've used on my website - click here. There might be a few of the iCost values for the first units I added that could be tweaked - keep ind mind that I originally added them in Warlords for a no tech mod (Falten Lallery XVII) where I gave the players different advantages. I was making it as a more "general use" mod for BtS, but stopped due to technical difficulties, which I have now all sorted out, but I only started adjusting the units to a normal game recently.

Should anyone find the files useful, then please keep in mind that several buttons for the units from the BtS "extra" mod is contained in the Atlas-files from the Art\Interface\Buttons folder in the mod. Also, the Mamluk unit uses graphics from the VarietasDelectat_v5.0.FPK file (which is quite big).

Attached Files:

2. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

So these files contain all of these units?

Also, some of the pairings of units and civs seem a bit off. Notables...

- Why is the Quinquireme listed as "Spanish"? Is it particularly Spanish or was it ever used by Spain at all?

- Prodromoi for Babylon?

- I'm not sure a Templar should be for England, or any country really. If anything it makes more sense for the HRE or France or something.

- Bagatur for... Netherlands? I get that you gave the "Hungarian Knight" to Greece, since its the closest geographically I suppose. But why the Bagatur for the Netherlands?

- And the Maccabee for Persia? That's a little strange isn't it.

But the main thing is the units. So all of these units are part of this pack? I ask because I am putting together some flavored-sets for my new mod and I'd like to take a look at these so long as they are, as you say, the best medieval units there are.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read your whole post. Where are these units from?

3. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

No, no, I'm not making a mod or anything, so the units were just added where I felt they fit in, as I said. It has really only been about what was enjoyable and made sense to me, not about realism. For instance, in my mind, the Dutch were close to the Eastern European countries that seemed to fit the best with the look of the bagatur. The templar had a look similar to that of the crusader, and feel well with the English theme in that sense. The maccabee would be something I would imagine for Rome or Greece, but since I couldn't give it to them, Persia seemed close, for some reason, even thought it doesn't really seem that way when I think of the Persia presented in "300".

About the "pack": No, I have not really made a pack. However, I have uploaded files that include the necessary XML and graphics for the units, if you get a couple of files from the "Extra" mod as well ... Oh, wait, I just read your edit :D Well, the units that aren't from the "Extra" mod almost all originate from this exact forum. I have been unable to find more suitable units, which is why I'm asking. I'd be happy to provide links, but otherwise I have provided the XML as well as graphics for all the units in my first post (two attached files and one external link).

4. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

No one? :(

I'm surprised how dead this game is already. These forums should be filled with life with all the gamers that must be playing this wonderful game, but there seems to be very little activity.

5. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

I think that people are just a little confused as to what youre doing. There are literally hundreds of other units you could add. There are many mods that have done what you you are wanting and done it for every civ. You should check out Veritas Delictat graphics modpack. Most mods use its unit compiltation as a base. Theres bound to be units in there that youll want.

6. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

But the thing is that I have been checking around on the forums quite a lot. I haven't checked for unit graphics a lot in the mods, but I reckon that if anyone makes a good unit it's bound to end up in this forum. Since there haven't been other worthwhile medival units mentioned in the forum, I'm wondering if there are actually any more made that would be worthwhile to add. Keep in mind that these units should be special - preferable not just a "flavour" unit. On top of that, I would like them to relate a bit to history as well (with the "cool" exceptions, of course :p). It seems that you could mention a lot of units, so please give me a few examples.

I'm not sure what I'm missing from Veritas Delictat - it was included in the "Extra" mod, to my knowledge.

7. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I am also a bit confused by the "intent" of this thread. I agree with Achilles; there are all kinds of great Medieval units out there (different Cataphracts, a really good Huscarl, a lot of flavored sets including foot-knights, macemen, longbowmen etc.). What exactly was the purpose of this list other than posting the graphics? Also have you checked the downloads database? Adjica (did I spell that right) has made a bunch of dark-age units which are good (although the faces could use some texturing in many cases), Bakuel has made some excellent units for all types of cultures. I am also not too sure all of your units qualify as "medieval" anyway.

This isn't intended to bash your thread, I just don't quite get what the point of it is.

8. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

The point is, as stated, to find out what other great medieval units I could have missed. And yes, I have looked through the downloads section as well. And as said, I'm not really looking to use time adding more flavoured units - I need "special units".

9. Cybah

Cybah Emperor

Well, would be great if you could add all downloadlinks for the units of your list.

10. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

Well, I contemplated doing that, however, it didn't really seem to make sense to use the time for it, especially if not all links were available. Instead, I added the files that I have on my local computer. So, instead of just having the graphics, you also have how they are set up, if you download the files I linked to and attached. Mind you, the first units I added don't all work perfectly in BtS - I've found that the medjay and the Kobukson graphics are displayed incorrectly if you play BtS with low graphics settings (I play with high graphic settings myself, so it hasn't really bothered me).

However, if you insist, I'd be happy to find the links. It wasn't really the purpose of this topic, though.