List of bugs (WIP)

59saintdane

Warlord
Sorry to say it, but this mod seems to be just riddled with bugs, to the point where the game is sometimes more frustrating than fun--and sometimes I start to miss the base game, where at least everything worked normally. So here's a list of all the bugs that I could find so far:
-Problem with the food tooltip regarding beliefs that give food to buildings and maritime CS's. Also, golden ages don't seem to boost food output. See this post for more info.
-Promotion flags don't appear above units in Strategic View, unless they're garrisoned.
-Social Policy "Scholasticism" doesn't do anything. This seems to be the easiest fix as the XML file is easily located--turns out that there's no effect in the code, so we just have to write that in.
-When the "Religious Fervor" pantheon is combined with the growth policy from tradition (forget what it's called) they correctly stack to give 30% growth, but the tooltip only shows the 15% from the belief. Not sure which other beliefs/policies/buildings this bug appears on.
-Internal trade routes (for food at least) appear to be completely USELESS as they gave no food yield at all to the target city. Extremely frustrating.
-Not necessarily a bug, but I have several problems with the interface. It's frustrating not to be able to see my culture or faith yields without mousing over the icons, and it's even more frustrating not to be able to see the science yield AT ALL--I have no idea why you guys thought this wasn't important.
-Speaking of faith yield, the faith tooltip was also bugged. When I was getting 4 faith per turn from city-states (no other sources) the game said I was getting a total of 6. When I was getting 2 faith from CS's, the game said I was getting 3, and later 4. Note that it gave me the correct amounts, but the tooltip was bugged yet again.
-Either I'm doing this wrong or it's bugged, not sure which. I keep clicking the "save to lua.log" button, but when I look at the file, it says nothing. Something else I need to be doing, or is this (yet another) bug?
-In one game I built the Colossus, which allegedly gives +2 gold per outgoing trade route from its city, and yet it had no effect on my sea trade routes (can't remember about land).
-The gold tooltip says I'm getting gold from city connections when I have none--this amount isn't added to the total but it's still quite weird.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add to the list when I find more.
How do I get the lua log? That might help with finding the bugs.

Also--if you guys can point me to the code files that are causing the problem, I'd be happy to try and fix the bugs myself, and maybe those bugfixes could be incorporated into a new version. If you have any inkling at all of the cause behind any of the bugs I mentioned, please do tell me, I'd love to know what's going on.

I attached a save file that illustrates a lot of the bugs I mentioned. It requires a few other mods (note that none of the mods would have had any effect on the bugs I mentioned) but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Attachments

• Ramesses II_0075 BC-1000.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
Lua.log would be very helpful. There are instructions in this forum. If you don't have logging enabled, that would be why the save to lua.log isn't helping.

Which version are you using?

The trade route bug as I recall was a problem with the base game. Colossus' trade route effects aren't modified by the mod, or at least they shouldn't be, so that could be default behavior.

The food bug with beliefs has been a problem for a while, the tooltip reader seems to be duplicating them. The CS yield is another issue. They've been found before but most of the people still working on the mod didn't write the tooltip writer (and/or don't know how to fix/improve it or are working on other projects if they do), so it hasn't been fixed. I would bet the trade route problem with internal routes is related. That wasn't modified either but the tooltip writer was originally written back in GK, before trade routes. It might not have been properly updated for it.

The city connections include the capital. There's no capital modifier in the city connection formula and instead there's city connection to the capital itself. There are two benefits to this: it fixes the railroad capital bug and it reduces the amount of gold needed on the palace.

Scholasticism should give science per CS friend/ally as in default in the most recent copy. The only change to it was where it is located in the tree, which does not override what it should do. The previous versions had it give a raw amount of science per friend/ally, which can be quickly restored if it for some reason isn't doing anything at all.

I'm using 3.17, the newest one.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say about the city connection thing. The problem I was having was that the gold tooltip told me that I was getting gold from city connections--however, this gold was not actually granted to me. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the tooltip being wrong, or the game being wrong.
Regarding internal trade routes--before I started using this mod, the internal trade routes worked just fine. Also, it's not a problem with the tooltip, I'm not getting any of the food that I'm supposed to. I even measured the difference in food stored between one turn and another, and it showed no evidence that the trade routes were having any effect.
Here's a screenshot of Scholasticism:

Its effects seem to have been deleted--looks like a pretty easy fix.
Any idea why the promotion flags aren't appearing in strategic view--and is there a quick fix to this?
Also, how about showing the faith, culture and science yields in addition to how many turns are left? The science especially bothers me since I can't seem to find my global science yield anywhere. The tooltip for hovering over it also doesn't seem to be working. Where are the files for the toolbar at the top, so I can modify them for my personal use.

Lastly, I'd like to contribute to the mod if I can by helping to fix these bugs. I'm wondering, however, about a) can I gain access to contribute (though this isn't as critical until I actually fix some bugs) and b) could you or someone else point me to the directories where the relevant files are? I'm not so familiar with the file structure of either the game's or the mod's assets.

Adding to mystikx21 has already said.

Any values being shown incorrectly will most likely be as a result of the ToolTipWriter code. -- no fix in the immediate future

There is no error as such with Scholasticism other than perhaps a TXT_KEY error. No code changes are made to that policy. -- an easy fix

As I answered in your other posting, there is no foreseeable 'fix' for the FlagPromotions not showing in the strategic view. It wasn't written for that view.

As you may, may not know, this mod is currently in 'caretaker mode'. That is the progress of changes will only bugfixes of a gamebreaking or annoying nature. The team that iniated this mod are either unavailable or moved on to other mods. (it is really only mystikx and myself)

As to the source on GitHub. You are more than welcome to fork a copy and make whatever changes you want to your own copy and then push a commit back for my perusal. ( I am currently the only one left with full access to that repo)

I would strongly suggest though that you become acquainted with modding in general as this mod's structure and content is on the more difficult side of modding. Not impossible but difficult. There have been more than 40 contributors over its lifetime and the lua code in particular is very hard to decypher. The last contributor to tackle it has a Masters in Computer Engineering and it was a tough slog for even him.

Basically the main problems with working on this mod can be summed up thus:

CEP's use of a custom lua library, YieldLibrary.lua, breaks all the UI code in the vanilla game. All yield values need to be directed to our custom values and that is a large task only partly finished. (partly due to the release of BNW)

CEP is also a rather large complex mod. Changes in one area may need to have changes in other areas to work properly. Caution is needed when editing just one location. Dependencies/references and other connections can break the function.

Having said all that if you want to try, go for it. I'll offer any help I can give or point you towards people that might be able to help.

Thanks for the help. The main things I'm concerned about are the Scholasticism and internal trade route bugs, because those are the main ones that actually affect gameplay. Do you know where the XML files in CEP/base game for trade routes would be located? I want to figure out what's causing that bug. And as for scholasticism, I'm not quite sure how to write a per-era yield bonus. Any pointers on that?

Scholasticism "works" in as far as it provides the default benefit. If "nothing" is listed under the policy, that does not mean it provides no benefit. It means no change was made other than the one listed. There are policies that have no listed effects at all in CEP, because there is no modification to them at all. In this case, all that was changed was where the policy was displayed.

That said. No change was made, but there may be a text error. The previous version provided the text displayed benefit and could be quickly restored (I've got backups). I'm not sure which is better, but neither is awesome in my view.

In the CAT directory, tooltip files would be best to explore to fix most of these errors, though as Expired points out, that is dependent on a lot of other changes elsewhere (yield library in particular). The custom yield library was spawned out of C5's tangled spaghetti of inconsistent yield code, so it has all kinds of effects that aren't perfectly interacting with things like trade routes.

Oh, I get it now. So Scholasticism provides the base game benefit, rather than the benefit that was listed. That also explains why it didn't seem to do anything, as I had several friends but no allies.

I'll try to have a look at the tooltip writers, but what really bothers me right now is the internal trade routes. As they don't seem to be yielding any food, do you know where might I find the files pertaining to that and which might be causing the bug?

EDIT: Tried to attach lua.log. However, when I go to attach it it says "Error: Invalid file."

You usually have to zip it as a .7z file (or some compressed file) to post it on the forum or if it is short copy/paste it and hide it under a spoiler.

Top Bottom