1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

List the taxes you despise paying , in the the order of your contempt for them.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mojotronica, Feb 10, 2004.

1. joycem10

joycem10 Deity

Gas and alcohol are my two most hated taxes. In PA gas stations have a chart that breaks down what amount you pay is taxes. It drives me nuts every time.

Same thing with a case of beer. If taxes were the same for any other product, i could get my Yuengling for 10.99 a case. Makes me drink even more.

2. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

It's higher than I'd like. If we were paying down the Federal Debt, it would be easier to swallow -- but we are not. The Fed spends money on a lot of programs that I don't agree with, like funding the war on marijuana -- but I guess a lot more people think that's a worthwhile way to spend it.

It's sort of like America is in a bad marriage, and both husband and wife are determined to pile on the expenses for things they think are important.

3. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

Personally, all most all fed taxes really upset me. What is it that the Fed Gov't is supposed to do? Defend us and make foreign deals, or atleast that is what it did prior to 1898. Back then we didn't pay income taxes. I can live with partial support of the highway system too.

The States and local gov'ts are supposed to take care of education. I also prefer that the economic safety nets exist at the state level. That way lala land (California) and Massechuettes can try out their Marxist societies.

4. nihilistic

nihilistic Intergalatic Delivery Boy

Syterion, you simply do not have a point.

I'm not sure if any government specifically listed "education tax" as an item on the tax bill they give you, although clearly a lot of money that they end up collecting from you does end up subsidizing education. However, education, like immunization, has a societal benefit. While every additional person immunized against a disease prevents such that disease from spreadinng through that person to others in the society, every additional person trained in a discipline makes the product that requires that discipline more readily availble t society, thus producing a societal benefit to everybody. This is one of the most basic concepts in economics.

And now we have descended into complete indecency. So, should the firemen decide whether you have the money to pay them before they come to your rescue should your house be engulfed in a fire? Should the firemen realy had to worry about whether they are going to be paid while they risk their behinds saving your selfish ass? If someone who cannot pay the firemen had his/her house on fire, should the firemen wait for the fire to spread to someone who can pay? And how is the fact that the firemen are standing by 24 hours a day preparing for the possibility that your house be on fire not something worth paying for? Especially considering the events of 9/11 [of which conservatives seem to remember very well, well, the "we were violated part" anyway], how dare you insist that firemen do not deserve to be paid? Your objection is simply disgusting.

Great, I suppose you would not object if the government begin to designate the plot of land right next to your house as a public dump?

5. Qitai

Qitai .

15-25% sounds okay. It is not as high as the impression I have. Anyone knows if there is any webpage out there with a listing of all the tax rate of varios countries. I am always curious about the exact comparison of the tax rates around the world.

6. Achinz

Achinz Hermit of Huangshan

7. HighlandWarrior

HighlandWarrior Mr Political Analyser

sales tax is 4.5%
    state income tax is 4.5%
    federal income tax is 15%(i think) edit:i looked it up http://taxes.yahoo.com/rates.html
    medicare is 1.45%
    social security is 6.2%
    property tax is 4%

for a total of 35.65%

plus 36.5 cents gas tax, Not to mention all the FEEs for a drivers lisence, plates, tags, inspections, ETC!

I will get back most of my federal, I'm still getting screwed though.

8. HighlandWarrior

HighlandWarrior Mr Political Analyser

double post.

9. Qitai

Qitai .

Cool. Thanks for the information and links. :)

10. slothman

slothman Emperor

I think some taxes are too low. There should be more luxory taxes and estate taxes. If some rich dude makes money and dies why should his heirs get zillions for being related to him.

11. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

12. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

The only taxes that really burn my wife and I are, first and foremost, PROPERTY TAX! We get raped of our earnings on a very modest income for a family of 4 (~$28,000 gross) for a mere 2.5 acres of property. It, by far, has the biggest impact on our standard of living --not to mention all the institutions listed on our statement who have their piggy hands stuck out to suck our money out of us.

The second tax that pisses us off is payroll taxes for FICA and that other one. I don't plan on getting any of that money back, so let me use it for my OWN investments! :mad:

Although not a tax, it pisses me off I have to pay a huge percentage of my paycheck just to cover "just-in-case" scenarios for going to the hospital. Frickin' hospitals and health insurances companies making a cash cow out of my hard earned money! :mad:

Every year my earnings stay the same (or actually go down in the past year!), while taxes and insurance keep going up! :mad: Cruel, cruel society. :(

13. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

I hereby demand that all Americans stop wheening about paying taxes. Please, feel sorry for me and my fellow European victims of leftwing spendocrats.

-52% income tax
    -19% VAT
    -25% profit tax for companies
    -200% tax on fuel
    -6% tax when buying real estate
    -100% tax when purchasing a new car

14. Mojotronica

Property and FICA/the other one (Payroll) are my top two as well...

In the case of Property tax, most of it pays for worthwhile stuff -- but the unintended consequence of this outdated form of financing is that it often forces people to move when the value of their property grows beyond their ability to pay the tax on it. You're paying taxes on POTENTIAL profits, rather than ACTUAL profits, and the only way to make the property pay for itself is to rent it out or use it for some kind of business related to it's location.

Income tax is better than property tax because it taxes ACTUAL earned income, so the tax is always (at least in theory) manageable.

Payroll taxes bad for employees and employers -- anyone who actually produces value (rather than financing it.) Unlike income tax, there is no standard deduction for the payroll taxes, so employees pay a flat percentage from the first dollar earned. It discourages employers from hiring new workers because of the chunk that they are expected to pay for each new employee they take on.

Income tax at least has a deductable, to keep it from impacting low wage-earners, and it does not discourage companies from hiring more workers beyond the

Neither Property nor Payroll taxes require LESS disclosure of income/value of assets than income tax -- so they do not have the advantage of anonymity that a sales tax could have.

15. Mojotronica

So I totally agree with you on those...

As to your other complaint, linking medical benefits to employment was a fairly arbitrary decision on the part of the gov't back in the days of yore. It's a headache for employers (and discourages hiring) and it puts the unemployed out of the loop in terms of acquiring medical benefits. People without insurance pay a lot more for the same medical procedures than people with insurance, and employer plans are a lot cheaper than private insurance plans.

Medical care is something that society is going to pay for no matter what -- because we're not callous enough to throw people who can't pay out on the street. So it would be better if gov't or the private sector coul come up with a solution that provides it equitably across the board. So far, no one has come up with a solution that really works to make this happen. HMOs were a great hope in the 70s and 80s, but they have basically failed.

The smartest ideas I've heard -- group discounts for medical purchases and a triage system for providing coverage -- have been shot down by drug lobbyists and patients-rights advocates, respectively.

16. Neomega

Neomega Deity

1. Payroll tax. I don't get anything, (except offensive wars and computerized costumer service) why should I pay taxes?

2. Property tax. I'll never be able to save up my money and buy a house at my income level, because the government will take it away. Must I be forced into the credit system... aka the liquidation of the middle class?

Taxes I don't mind.

1. sales tax: I am not much of a consumer, so this one doesn't affect me much.

2. gasoline tax: well Clintons tax add-on simply to pay the deficit, but I see the gasoline tax, when applied to raod creation and upkeep, as pretty close to a user fee.

17. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

Alcohol and Tobacco - over 70% of the sales price here.
    Gasoline Tax - totally outrageous!
    Sales Tax - made up of the GST (Goods and Services Tax @ 7%) and the PST (Provincial Sales Tax @ 7.5% in BC) - you pay both of these on everything except food (purchased at the grocery store)

18. John Smith

John Smith Chieftain

fghjdhj

19. John Smith

John Smith Chieftain

Oops, sorry about that...

Let me tell you about a stupid tax we have in Denmark: Every time we get a paycheck, we have to give 12,5 % of it to a so-called "Vacation Fund". (Of course we also have to pay all the other taxes). Then each year in May, we get our money back all at once, I think they say the idea is to make sure that people, who for some reason don't want to save up for a vacation in the summer are forced to.

But the real point is that on average they keep our 12,5 % in a half a year, and can earn interest on our money, and -in some cases- they are even allowed to keep the money, if people forget that they paid to the fund.

This money, are then used to pay for the people and equipment administrating these money. If there's money left, it is then used to fund specific vacation resorts, which "coincidentially" happens to be owned by the labor unions.

What pisses me the most off, is that the government is trying to force me to have a vacation in the summer, like the only way to happiness is to have a vacation in the summer. Personally, I would rather stay home in the summer when the weather is nice, and then go on vacation in the winter, but my government apparently believe it is somehow bad for me.

I really believe that the people are fully capable of deciding whether they want to go on vacation in the summer, and of saving up in that case.

20. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

Well considering I don't think anybody has the right to "own" land, then they sure as hell better pay "rent" to the government that is supplying a military force to defend said land from others who might wish to use the un-ownable land.