Little things that... just bug me... (Yeah, whiny pet peeves)

Dearmad

Dead weight
The cow's head falls outside the circle in the info dialogue. Looks like the cow resource is headless. Ick.

The arrows are on the wrong side of the bows- they would fall away and not be fired with the bow tilted as they are for archers/longbowmen.

Copper (?) is represented as a wire?? On a spool? Sure, yeah... maybe by the industrial age....

In the stats screen, it's clear that the given area for a tile is STILL much too SMALL. I'm sick on owning the whole world and it says:
Area- 150,000 sq. kilometers or something stupid like that which is roughly the size of New Jersey!

I've never seen wheat stacked in an angular hour glass shape like that in my life... WTF is that about? Make a haystack, or some some grain sacks, or bails, or rolls, or SOMETHING LIKE IN REAL LIFE. Dang, it's like their graphical artists are kids without any real notion of the real world at all. GO OUTSIDE and DO SOME RESEARCH! (The spool of wire is another telling example of the artists' ignorance and ignoring of history).

"Great scientist is born in..." Yeah, we know as soon as their born they're great scientist... c'mon don't make me do the homework and rewrite the text files, you're supposed to be the pros, the text should read: "A great scientist has arisen in..." This game IS about atmosphere to some degree, you know, Sid.

Lower right hand score window thing- FIELD your COLUMNS, people... it looks sloppy. Organize the data neatly, it's a simple thing to field format data. DO it.

Borders around the info dialogues on the map and the little square shapes near the bottom of the screen are too thick and obscuring.

tech tree: Judaism follows Hinduism and depends on polytheism. Nope. There's no historicity to the jews descending from a polytheistic people... Needs to be unhitched so you can get to Judaism without going through any other religion. Again, a little research into history would be good here. That Monotheism ROSE with judaism and xtiantiy doesn't mean that it needed to be developed through the lense of polytheism.

GOOD LORD I hope that Victoria image isn't final... that's crap art. The edges are totally unfinished.

Wow, there's a lot to just the latest screenshots from gamespot that's indicating Firaxis is releasing yet another shoddy piece of shovelware, with promises to patch and/or CHARGE $$ for features promised (SDK and the pitboss). The fact that the pitboss won't be done until December alone means Sid is lying through his little fat face that the game was developed with MP from the ground up. I don't care about MP- only SP- but I DO care about being lied to. Without Brian Reynolds to slap his ass, Sid a B-lister.

Moderator Action: Make your criticisms constructive. Flaming of Firaxis employees is not tolerated.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Have you seen the crown "floating" over Vicci's head?
One may like the style of the leaderheads or not, but this is just ridiculous.

Commander Bello said:
Have you seen the crown "floating" over Vicci's head?
One may like the style of the leaderheads or not, but this is just ridiculous.
I wonder what demographic their marketing target is....

(as an aside...did you know MS designed the Win9x desktop graphical side of the interface with 12-15 year old girls in mind? They found that was the demographic with the most spending power...no dad likes to say no to his little girl....;) )

"TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" should be "TELL ME WHAT TO DO, SIR!"

Cancel your pre-order might be a good move. It really is disgusting to learn that SDK and Pit Boss, Multiplayer to be released later. Fool me once,... etc.

From what i read the SDK was allways going to be released after the game was out, but the Pitboss should be in there when it ships!

Phoenix_56721 said:
From what i read the SDK was allways going to be released after the game was out, but the Pitboss should be in there when it ships!
I can live with no SDK...they have always said it wold ship later.

But the Pitboss...this is one feature they have been touting since, well, since they started touting Civ4 last spring. And to see it delayed is a red flag in my eyes.

This leads to the question: What else will be missing or not working properly? Will the game be balanced out of the box...or will we have to wait for several 'expansion' packs to see this happen....only to discover they will never really balance it because they will stop providing patches to work on civ5....

In my eyes, Firaxis' veracity has been put into doubt ...they may be hoisted on their own (well, to be fair, maybe the distributor's )petard, again. The only real soulution is to delay the release until everything is finished...but that will not happen due to economic reasons. But I will stand firm and not buy the game until I see it is fully functional...if more consumers would do this and not be unthinking cheerleading fanbots it may force distributing companies to rethink their shoddy practices and lead to better software for everyone.

The only thing that somewhat bugs me is Ashokas face, nothing else.

Edit: It looks much better in the video, in that gamespot screenshot Ashoka looks BAD

All I can say is don't buy it if these annoy you that much. If it doesn't sell well, then Firaxis can take that as a message that some of their design decisions were wrong.

And if you guys still feel that little urge, oh gosh I gotta have it, even though you have no interest in it because the leaderheads might look odd to you. Hey you can always give away your copy to me! :mischief:

Oh and once again I'm being called a kid. Not that fond of it.

Pitboss is obviously one part of mp (persistant mp).

Gamespy article 15/9/05:
"Yes, you read that right. This was the first time the media was allowed to get its hands on the title, and instead of playing single-player, or being led through a walkthrough by the developers, we were turned loose on the multiplayer part of the game. That's big news: for years fans have begged for a great multiplayer implementation of the strategy classic, and in the past the multiplayer part of the game (if it was in there at all) was always an afterthought at best. But with Civilization IV, multiplayer has been a focus of the game since development started, and it shows! This marks a turning point for the franchise that should blow away both new players and long-time fans."

They were playing mp, and quite successfully from those accounts. Sure it might only be LAN, or hosted, but it's mp.

Dale

oldStatesman said:
I can live with no SDK...they have always said it wold ship later.

But the Pitboss...this is one feature they have been touting since, well, since they started touting Civ4 last spring. And to see it delayed is a red flag in my eyes.

This leads to the question: What else will be missing or not working properly? Will the game be balanced out of the box...or will we have to wait for several 'expansion' packs to see this happen....only to discover they will never really balance it because they will stop providing patches to work on civ5....

In my eyes, Firaxis' veracity has been put into doubt ...they may be hoisted on their own (well, to be fair, maybe the distributor's )petard, again. The only real soulution is to delay the release until everything is finished...but that will not happen due to economic reasons. But I will stand firm and not buy the game until I see it is fully functional...if more consumers would do this and not be unthinking cheerleading fanbots it may force distributing companies to rethink their shoddy practices and lead to better software for everyone.

Isn't Pitboss just for persistent MP play? MP would still work without it, but not a never-ending sort of game MP session, no.

I hope all you people expecting perfection and whining that any Civ but the second incarnation (which was -only- Civ1 with better graphics, IMHO) sucks don't buy the game because that means soemone without a stick up their nether regions will find a copy of the game to play and enjoy. :lol:

The_Reckoning said:
From the way the game looks atm, I'll be playing it after the release, but I won't be buying the game... If you get my drift...

Then I hope you get a nice virus that eat's all your software and/or someone hijack's your PC and steals your parents credit card numbers so they yell at you and ground you so you can't leave your room. ;)

And what ever happened to the "ignroe" button anwyay? I need to figure out how to get that feature working again apparently. :D :lol:

The_Reckoning said:
From the way the game looks atm, I'll be playing it after the release, but I won't be buying the game... If you get my drift...

Moderator Action: The_Reckoning - warned. Piracy is not toleratred here. For whatever reason.

Ozymandous said:
I hope all you people expecting perfection and whining that any Civ but the second incarnation (which was -only- Civ1 with better graphics, IMHO) sucks don't buy the game because that means soemone without a stick up their nether regions will find a copy of the game to play and enjoy. :lol:

Moderator Action: Pointless trolling post removed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Dearmad, you are under no obligation to buy the game. Forget it exists and look around when Civ5 comes down the road in a few years. If you are correct, they will have to change all of the things you hate about Civ4.

Ozymandous said:
Isn't Pitboss just for persistent MP play? MP would still work without it, but not a never-ending sort of game MP session, no.

Used to be one could discuss things here without getting personally attacked. Sorry you feel that way, your point would be better made without one. I have no issue with differing opionions - that is what debate is about. But to attack the debate partner is really bad form.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Dearmad said:
The cow's head falls outside the circle in the info dialogue. Looks like the cow resource is headless. Ick.

I think any dairy farmer would tell you the head is not the part they are interested in. After all milk doesn't come out of it's nose unless you make it laugh.

warpstorm said:
All I can say is don't buy it if these annoy you that much. If it doesn't sell well, then Firaxis can take that as a message that some of their design decisions were wrong.

Yeah right, they will take it as a message that "Turn based strategy is dead" and you know it :lol:

Everyone in the industry must have a little meeting they go to where they practice saying "On life support" and "Dead" about things that millions of people enjoy (things like PC games, Turn Based Strategy, etc.)

I've never seen wheat stacked in an angular hour glass shape like that in my life... WTF is that about?

Guess you have never been around the Amish? They harvest thier wheat this way. Grab a bunch in one hand and use a scithe(sp?) to cut it at the base, then grab more and repeat. Once they have a large amount the tie it about mid way up the stem real tight and stand it up and it looks like an hourglass. I noticed when I was in Austria some farms there were harvesting the same way and in Switerzland.

Top Bottom