Live stream "Covert Ops: a Closer Look" Thursday, Sept 11 at 2pm EST

Menu driven gameplay with huge binary swings based on RNG? Initially that doesn't look much fun to me.

I would much prefer a "covert ops shadow layer" as opposed to their silly orbital layer. (They do realize geosynchronous orbits are only possible over the equator, right?)

I don't really mean to be overly down on the game since many things look quite nice :)

Or even building a unit! Flipping a city = OMG! I don't know if this means I should go taller (for defense) or wider (to make them less attractive, and in case I lose one!)

Must be a way to defend yourself. I haven't watched the stream yet.

Or even building a unit! Flipping a city = OMG! I don't know if this means I should go taller (for defense) or wider (to make them less attractive, and in case I lose one!)

Well, the other guy does have to:
  1. Research Computing
  2. Build a spy agency
  3. Send an agent to your city
  4. Max out intrigue
  5. Succeed at the city flip mission

So... in that amount of time, you may well have already smashed him to bits.

Well, there's assigning a spy to your city for counter-intelligence. I believe there's also some satellite that's supposed to be able to stop spies, possibly.

you get a warning when the enemy reaches level 3 (or was it 4) in one of your cities, than you can counteract by setting your agents to counterespionage or building the allseer satellite to expulse the enemy agents (resetting their intrigue). There are also buildings and wonders that help you protect yourself.

Apart from counterintelligence spies and satellites there's also the Human Hive wonder (nice SMAC reference) which caps intrigue in the city in which it is built at level one. Presumably there will also be equivalents of Constabularies and Police Stations.

This is the first Civ game where covert ops look more than a nuisance to me. I normally don't care much for that side of games, but this looks very cool

And... what's the deal the fake non-specific accent of the actress reading the affinity and technology quotes?

It's Lady Diedre's voice actress from SMAC, Carolyn Dahl, if I am not mistaken.

Well, you can't flip the capital for those going tall.

no, the capital can be flipped, too, but there are many ways of defending against them. And if I understand it right, low health will make it easier to generate intrigue against you, so going wide is not a good option, because it's harder to keep health in check. And even if you have a lot of cities, they just have to taget your capital, that is usually the most attractive one, so it will be a major blow to your Empire. So it's necessary to protect your most valuable with counterspies, anti-spy satellites and buildings, especially if playing against ARC.

So it's necessary to protect your most valuable with counterspies, anti-spy satellites and buildings, especially if playing against ARC.

Or just simply eliminate the ARC from the game. If Fielding tries to flip some of my cities I am going to flip some of hers to my control the old fashioned way.

no, the capital can be flipped, too, but there are many ways of defending against them. And if I understand it right, low health will make it easier to generate intrigue against you, so going wide is not a good option, because it's harder to keep health in check. And even if you have a lot of cities, they just have to taget your capital, that is usually the most attractive one, so it will be a major blow to your Empire. So it's necessary to protect your most valuable with counterspies, anti-spy satellites and buildings, especially if playing against ARC.

It didn't seem clear to me whether that was local or global health that affected Intrigue. In the flyout local health was listed alongside food, sci, etc. which implied to me that it was local health that affected it. So if this is correct, keep your capital and core cities healthy and you'll be fine going wide.

Thanks. I think "Propaganda" was not +1 Health for each Agent at Headquarters, but "+2% health".
Right, thanks.

Some random data from elsewhere in the stream:

Cognition unlocks the Neurolab building, Holosuite building, Academy tile improvement
Collaborative Thought unlocks the Precog Project wonder: +2 Culture. +2 Health,+ 15% Combat Strength against military units in friendly territory

Did anyone notice that in one screenshot he had positive health and positive energy but he got a notice next to the resources that said he was above the number of units he can maintain (his colony could only support 15 units) so he got a production penalty. So it seems that there is a cap on number of units that your colony can support that is independent of health or energy. If you go above that cap, you get a penalty to production.

Top Bottom