1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Live stream "Masterclass: Faction Strategies" Friday, Sept 26 at 2pm EST

Discussion in 'CivBE - Stories & Let's Plays' started by MadDjinn, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

No problem. We all seem to have under-developed patience genes.

2. Bkeela

Bkeela Warlord

It is Friday...in Australia.

3. Napoleon_IV

Napoleon_IV Chieftain

We are the last ones to see the clips, but we'll be among the first to get the game :)

4. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

Maybe comment on the fact that prosperity seems to be extremely good in contrast to the other trees. Take for example Industry. It only has % bonuses early, which makes it extremely bad in the early game, and very much not viable early, the same things goes for kwowledge, early science is never a big deal compared to getting more expands, more health, more production and growth. and might will probably be bad to pick early since its not an economical tree, leaving only prosperity for opening game as the obvious choice, for every game..... Seems horribly balanced

5. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

6. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

And if your initial strategy is something other than rapid expansion, then what? Your argument does not hold up, for example, in a case where you land in an area with one or two alien nests nearby threatening your very existence. Then Might and Production will be your friends because you will have to fight to take out the nests. Alternately, if you want to grow tall, go Science to gain early Culture and expand your capital's boundaries out, along with Production to speed building construction. Or maybe you want to push exploration and be the first first to find all the goodies and excavation sites - then you will want a broad approach that gives you a mix of Might, Science and Production. I think the Virtue system is quite well balanced in that it offers a viable strategy for almost any approach.

7. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

I havent played the game yet, but i can almost guarantee that Taking points in prosperity early will be used in every competive long term economical game unless firaxis balances things of course.

8. Knut_Are_M

Knut_Are_M Prince

industry does have enough happiness as well. it is just that you might need to build more biowells and Health buildings With industry instead of prosperity.
    You could even get might and knowlege. but that would mean biowell spamming like mad.
    This is of course assuming they got rid of local Health. otherwise it is prosperity whenever you want to go wide.

9. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

In another thread someone asked how and if the AI has improved from previous Civ titels. Could you drop one or two remarks to it, if you have the opportunity gameplay wise?

10. Leo Tang

Leo Tang Warlord

There is a thread that opens with discussion how worse Prosperity is compared to other trees.

IMO if someone think it is good and some think it is bad, it is balanced.

11. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

I can't find any glaring balance issues either. When playing with Aeson's virtue calculator I've seen several paths worth following. And I'm normally the peaceful REXing type of player, so prosperity should be my kind of tree.

What is true, however, is that the free settler&worker from prosperity can give you an immense starting advantage. But then the effect is gone. I wouldn't call that inherently better than +10% science forever.

12. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

Oh one more question. Do the AI ask you to move your unit away from the border or declare war? That is a very annoying global diplomacy hit. I know you can park you unit 1 tile away but when a city is surround by hills, jungle, mountain that it hard to get all unit in place on time.

13. Alkyon

Alkyon Warlord

Quick question on the off chance this thread will be checked before the stream:

Will Firaxis let you (Mad Djinn) make LPs of the game before it's released to give us a hype outlet/release valve?

14. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

Yes. It was shown in Solargamer's first video.

15. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

Please don't call it Happiness. Let's all start getting used to the Civ BE terminology (which to be fair, you do in the rest of your post).

16. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

It's rather outlandish to make any claims about balance without having even played the game and experienced its cogs in motion.

17. Liex

Liex King

It's going to start in ~20 min, am I right?

18. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

How does the original post not have a link to the stream page this is an "outrage." A "calamity." My "life" is "over."

:yumyum:

19. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

20. BlueFlamingWings

BlueFlamingWings Chieftain

As always, awesome music.