1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Live vicariously

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by IceLion, Dec 16, 2005.

1. IceLion

IceLion Living in denial

I have done everything listed in the forums, Harkonnen's memory fix, the art0 unpack, the DirectX forced compatibility; I have tried to install, uninstall, reinstall, remove and install, remove delete, key deletion in regedit, on all drivers and related softwares, format and fresh install on a brand new 80 gig WD SATA hdd, switched from single to dual channel PC 3200 RAM (a full gig). I have disabled every single piece of software that runs in the background, all to no avail.

This game will not stop crashing; more accurately, COMPLETELY LOCKING UP MY MACHINE!!!!! My machine specs are FAR above recommended and nothing will keep this game riunning.

I have tried several times to contact tech support, always busy. I've read hundreds of posts regarding this issue and its fixes, or any hundred of others. It takes a member of the gaming community to fix what the deveopers have failed to address (memory leak issue).

I'm no programmer, but I am an IT professional; I am no illiterate when it comes to computers. To the point, this game is poorly coded and is very reminicent of a certain other software company who seems to have the motto, "release it now, patch it later"... those in my industry will no doubt know who that is.

I realize this is a $50.00 game and not the end of the world; the most frustrating part of this is that the developers are doing nothing, even though there are literally thousands of posts on this site alone (bearing in mind that this is likely the largest on the internet).

I must submit to living vicariously and satisfy my desire for this game by merely reading the posts by the other gamers on this site, C'est la vie, non?

Such a shame.

-IceLion

2. dtolman

dtolman Chieftain

Is your machine actually blue screening or crashing? If so it should be producing a dump file which can shed light on whats happening.

Also - the event viewer (application or system) might have more info on whats locking the machine - a locked machine on XP or 2003 usually means that a hardware component, OS component, or driver is causing a problem - applications usually can't lock it by themselves.

Also - have you tried disabling hardware acceleration, or even try booting into safe mode and try running it that way? I've seen both of these options solve machine lockup problems in the past with other applications...

3. IceLion

IceLion Living in denial

Faulting application civilization4.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module , version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

This is what Event Viewer gives me, no blue screen= no dump file, just a sudden stop and that's it, similar to a driver crash or failing power supply, but I'm telling you I have seriously tried SEVERAL versions of nVidia drivers. Though I understand the reasoning behind trying safe mode, that would be redundant as it would have nothing to do with the active account that I use to actually play, putting aside the 800x600 resolution.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! If you can make more sense of the error message (fresh from a system Failure 12-16-05- 10:02pm EST), please tell me.

I REALLY want to play, have been civving since civ II... This is like being a junkie... in a world of users.... and your dealer just got busted... not that I've ever been a junkie :blush:

-IceLion

4. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

If you add GenerateCrashLogs=1 to the .ini file, I think that allows crash logs to be generated on crashing, which you can post here.