1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LizNES5: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying, And Love The Bomb

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by TheLizardKing, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TheLizardKing

TheLizardKing Let's talk Michelle.

Well, I'm sure I can take them later. It's up to you guys. If you feel like you can get orders in by Friday, send them in. If you'd all prefer a later update day, like next Monday, or Tuesday, I can shoot for that too.

2. Starlife

Starlife de la terre à la lune

Hey TLK. I will be gone throughout June. Can you NPC me, keeping in mind my goals and what not? In NES, is it acceptable for a player to hand control of their nation to another player - just in case of emergencies?

I am sorry - but I am getting ready for an overseas trip and I don't know if I can get orders to you before I leave.

Thanks for keeping this going! And yes - simplified stats are the way to go!

3. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

I've got a question: if you eliminate the technologies, shouldn't those who invested in technology get some sort of compensation or benefit?

4. TheLizardKing

You still have the tech. But you can't see it, I do. It leaves it more vague, and makes it easier for me to update the tech in the stats, as there is none. There will be literally no other difference. It'll be basically the same way I did techs in SMW, only I'll keep better track of it. ;P

And Staflife, I can hold Mexico as an NPC for you if you want. If you have the time, y ou could always send me a PM highlighting what your long term goals are with Mexico. Should things get troublesome for Mexico (i.e, a war) I can always have an unaffiliated player step in for you too.

5. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Scourge of God

What this means is that California is still going to be the most technologically advanced nation in the world.

6. Cannae

Cannae Philosophy of Poverty

Is the Norse Union open still? If so I'd want to claim that.

7. TheLizardKing

Yessir, it is. I've been wanting a player for it! :D

Welcome!

8. Cannae

Cannae Philosophy of Poverty

Is the map on the front page the most current one?

9. TheLizardKing

10. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

Bayerische Räterepublik

/in for Bavaria.

OOC: Ok, so, what are the actual territories of Bavaria here? Obviously all of RW Bavaria to include Franconia. And apparently (all of?) Bohemia. Why did the Räterepublik not hold on to the Bavarian Palatinate? Were those territories lost when Germany tried to quell the Bavarian Revolution?

11. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

To the The Soviet Republic of Russia and The People's Republic of the Caribbean
    From President Andrés Pérez of the United States of Gran Colombia,

The birth of communist ideology in the Caribbean was not an easy one. Many lives were lost and countless Pesos in commercial and property damage were incurred. Since that time there have been a number of attacks on shipping and military naval vessels in the region by unknown submarines. We, like the United States of the Atlantic originally thought the culprit to be yourselves but you too are now suffering attacks upon your ships and so we are left with an unknown assailant. None-the-less, what is painfully obvious to us is that the Caribbean islands and water have been and continue to be used by foreign interests to fight an ideological war which continually threatens to spill over its banks and swamp the security and stability of many neighboring nations, and of Gran Colombia in particular.

We had previously warned the Confederates against the use of force in the Caribbean due to a fear of an escalation of violence and war between foreign powers upon this land and these waters. Thankfully they have seen reason and withdrawn their forces, but not, unfortunately before the loss of one of their ships with many of their hands still aboard.

A) The presence of a large and potent Soviet fleet in Caribbean waters does much to destabilize the local arena and seems to have drawn the wrath of the forces that earlier struck at the Confederate ships. B) There have been no further attacks upon the communist leadership or people of the Caribbean. In view of these two facts, we see no need for a Soviet fleet to remain in what Colombia considers its ‘near strategic territories’. Indeed its continued presence seems likely to destabilize the region further.

For the sake of harmony and stability in the Caribbean, Gran Colombia kindly asks you to withdraw your naval and aerial forces from the Caribbean islands and waters and to return to Eurasia. We are not threatening war or violence or even a stern look. We are asking kindly. Foreign forces in the Caribbean seem to turn the area into a battleground and we fear such a battleground spreading to Colombia territory or interfering with Colombian affairs.

12. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

OOC: I would assume that I (Germany) would've taken the Bavarian Palatinate in your revolution.

13. TheLizardKing

Welcome Plexus!

How you lost those regions is up to you and Germany (ZD). I haven't delved too hard into national histories. That's something you get to do.

14. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Printed in la Puebla

Nuclear Energy Propels Colombian Navy, Secret Atomic Program Revealed

by Adriana López, November 3rd, 1962

Scientists at the Armada Nacional de la Gran Colombia Naval Base San Andrés have successfully launched the first in a series of nuclear-powered sea-going vessels. The ships, whose price-tags have not been released to the Pueblo replace the oil-based fleet previously used by the Colombian navy and promise to greatly extend the range and efficacy of the Colombian navy. The launch of the ships also launches a number of questions. For how long has Colombian been involved in developing atomic energy? What potential uses will the navy or military make of this technology? What are the dangers?

Admiral Gabriel Arango had this to say, “Under top-secret directives laid out by President Andrés Pérez, naval and civilian scientists and engineers have been quietly working on the production of energy from the collapse of uranium fuel at our shipyards and research facilities at San Andrés. In July of 1961, our reactor reached criticality and has been, since that date, producing all of the energy used at base. The safety and reliability of this energy source has made it an excellent means of propelling Colombian ships well beyond the limited ranges defined by conventional fuel. Our ships will now spend much more time at sea, patrolling our shores and ensuring the protection of our people and much less time in port where they have limited use.”

The ANGC Santa Rosa heads to sea under atomic propulsion

Arango refused to be drawn in by questions from reporters regarding the potential direct military applications of atomic energy sources or the dangers of radiation but when asked about the use of atomic energy for wider civilian use added, “I can envision a day, and so can too the President, where major industrial projects will make use of this technology to power a new generation of advanced electronic tools. While I cannot go into the specifics, I can share with you that the President has authorized the first civilian use of this technology for use in the transport sector and that the ‘Cardinal Points Fission Reactor’ will be on-line before this time next year.”

This announcement was met with a flurry of frenzied questioning regarding the nature of the ‘Cardinal Points Fission Reactor’ and the associated transport project but the Pueblo has been, to date, unable to determine the nature or location of the project.

While many Colombians are excited about the new technology and the rabid modernization taking place both amongst the military and civilian sectors, and obviously the opportunities, jobs and economic growth, not to mention the further development of Colombia’s rapidly growing knowledge-based economy, others are quietly skeptical. The Pueblo spoke to a professor of mathematics and physics at the Universidad de la Amazonía in Florencia who preferred to remain anonymous. He had this to say, “With the generation of electricity from the fission of uranium comes plutonium. That element, if purposefully concentrated, could be used to make a fissionable nuclear weapon capable of producing an explosion unlike any we have seen to date. I, and a small group of intellectuals in the community are very worried about this and are doing eveything we can to determine if the Colombian navy is invovled in this enrichment of this dangerous element.”

When we shared these concerns with the Armada Nacional, we were told we had nothing to worry about.

Regardless of what the nay-sayers may say or think, it appears that atomic energy is here to stay and that its first heavy footprint is being felt in the world of military naval engineering. We will see if civilian applications can soon catch-up.

15. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Printed in “La Televisión Caliente!“

Gaviota pregnant!

by Vianca Valez, July 16th, 1962

If you’re as excited about the steamiest, most passion-laden show on television as I am, you already know about this week’s latest plot twists in Colombia’s super-popular televonvela, “Café con aroma de mujer”. But if you were off with your young Brazilian boyfriend on some twisted sexual escapade, or maybe living in a cave, you’ll really want to know about this week’s episode. And i’ve got all the details.

A shot from this week’s episode of the telenovela “Coffee with the Scent of a Woman”

Over the past month we’ve seen the passion between Sebastián Vellejo, the grandson of the powerful coffee plantation owner and Gaviota, the coffee harvester develop from a passing curiosty to a fiery and untamable affair that nearly consumes them. Their first encounter ends with them having wild and boundless sex in the coffee fields and since that time she has fallen madly in love with him and him, presumably with her. We’ve seen enough suggestive images to make our husbands thankful for “Café con aroma de mujer” as we slide into bed after watching the show and even to dissolve the support of the Unión Católico Coalición for the coalition government of President Andrés Pérez. Said Pérez, who apparently loves the show, “Margarita Rosa de Francisco,” who plays Gaviota, “has superb legs!” Indeed she does El Señor Presidente! Regardless, in this week’s episode just as we learn Gaviota is pregnant, we also learn that Vallejo will be leaving the country to study business in Barcelona. While we know that he is leaving and that she is pregnant, neither of them know each other’s secret.

What will happen to their sordid sexual romps amongst the coffee when they learn each other’s secrets is anyone’s guess but this reporter hopes that they never stop giving us reason to blush.

16. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

Televisión is a femenine noun. It should be "La Televisión Caliente". Also, Sebastián has an accent.

17. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

OOC: Or would those have been unnamed "territories surrendered" in the Bavarian/Austrian war?

18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Wartime Fishing

The sleek silver sedan pulled into the rugged lakeside driveway, rumbling over the stones and gravel as it cruised towards its destination. This house, modest in size and construction, was located on the border of Kentucky and Tennessee, along Lake Cumberland. The house was built near a large pond, connected to the lake by a narrow waterway a mile in length. It was the only building located on the pond; in fact, it was a solitary retreat isolated from any nearby constructs or civilization.

The car slowed as it neared the house. The passenger door opened, revealing Vice President Home, as he hobbled out of the vehicle. He carefully observed his surroundings as he waited for the driver to exit the car.

He noticed President O'Neill just as the President noticed him. Jack was lounged on the pond's dock, casting a fishing line into the calm waters. A cooler was stationed next to his chair, filled with cold beers.

"For goodness sake," O'Neill called out as Home approached, "this was supposed to be my weekend off."

"You never get time off with this job," Home replied.

O'Neill nodded. Motioning to a nearby chair, he said, withdrawn, "Take a seat. Want a beer?"

Home smiled. "Sure."

O'Neill grabbed another bottle from the cooler with his left hand and removed the cap with the arm of his chair. Handing it to Home, he muttered, "It's good stuff. Only the best, you know?" He paused before continuing. "So, why are you here?"

Home sipped the beer, and kept the bottle to his lips as he responded. "The USMA didn't accept the peace deal."

"For crying out loud." O'Neill whimpered, as if to himself. He reeled in his fishing line, while adding, "I'm practically paying them for peace, and they don't want any of it?" His voice displayed a sullen frustration, though he kept a cool, unemotional gaze on his fishing line as he continued to fish.

"I told you it wasn't a good idea," Home muttered.

"Well, it was an idea," he retorted. "What did they say?"

Home cocked his head to one side. "They said a lot. Unfortunately, most of it was too stupid for me to remember."

"Give me the transcript," O'Neill ordered, and held out his free hand.

Home held out the official message, opening it in front of his chair. Pretending to read it, he says, "Oh, at least they were nice enough to display a warning at the top. Let me see...it says, 'Warning: readers may lose brain cells after opening this paper.' Damn it, I should have known that before I read the message."

O'Neill grabbed the paper from his hands. "You have to work on your presentation skills," he remarked. "You know, play nice." He casts out his line before opening the message. After reading the report, he says, "Do we have any confirmation that this is their official response?"

Home instantly replied, "Confirmation is for wimps and altar boys." He paused before adding, "Yes."

O'Neill didn't say a word for several minutes, as he watched his fishing lure snake towards the dock as he reeled in his line. When the line was removed from the water, he turned to Home and said, "Give me a little time to think about this."

Home lowered his eyebrows. "Why so distant? And I'm talking emotionally, so don't respond with some indecent joke about a foreign planet called Abydos or something."

O'Neill shrugged. "You caught me at a bad time." He quickly corrected himself, adding, "It's war, Home. The USMA won't accept the peace deal. Thousands more men, women, and children are going to die, and all because they won't back down."

Home sighed. "I'm come to the realization that most of the world are idiots. That makes things less stressful when people do stupid stuff."

O'Neill cast out his line again. "I'm going back to Charleston on June 21st. Make sure we got everyone with a brain in our meeting to see what we're going to do."

Home struggled to his feet. He turned to leave, but quickly backtracked, reaching into O'Neill's cooler. "One for the road," he muttered, as he left.

Before he withdrew from the dock, however, O'Neill called out, "So, you came all the way here just to give me this paper?"

Home shook his head. "I wanted to see what you were doing; you know, during your 'vacation' and all." Raising his bottle, he added, "The beer helps too."

19. Julius Gandi

Julius Gandi The Foreign Disease

Reclaiming the Glorious Republics of the Ukraine for Mustaches and Borstch

20. TheLizardKing

Great! Welcome back!

Since no one really laid down any major thoughts in regards to when the orders are due, I'm just going to say this Monday coming up.