Ljosalsvartalfar?

vorshlumpf

Emperor
I've been posed with an interesting situation: a ljosalfar/svartalfar cross-breed. This got me thinking back to when the two types of elves were playing nice with each other. Did their differences in appearance exist back then, in the Age of Magic? Or did the svartalfar change after the split? If they were different from the beginning, did the Seelie / Unseelie intermingle at all? Wouldn't this possibly dilute racial characteristics?

In the Age of Renewal, are the racial lines strictly drawn, or would it be possible for dark to live with light and vice versa?

Any thoughts/ideas on these questions and any other related issues would be greatly appreciated.

- Niilo

I suspect that certain traits were more common in the different courts before the civil war, but these were not as pronounced as in the Age of Rebirth. I always assumed there was intermingling before the civil war, and that their appearances still aren't as different as the stereotypes would suggest. After all, the Ljosalfar leader Thessa is fair skinned and dark haired (judging by her leader pic), and Amelanchier doesn't look like he is blond either (although his hair is hidden).

The differences are more political/ideological than genetic. I don't think an elf with an overtly Svartalfar ideologies/philosophy/political leanings would be welcomed in a Ljosalfar village, and a Ljosalfar or an elf sympathetic to Arendel wouldn't live long among their sinister cousins. Traitors from either court might be welcomed among their old enemies though, and the Svartalfar would certainly try to plant spies among Arendel's people.

There are also other groups of elves that aren't really tied to either court. Although not presented in the game, I believe Kael has said that there are many isolated independent groups of elves with no loyalties to either court. Some may have picked a side since then, but other might be open to both groups and interbreeding between the non-aligned elves and those loyal to both queens might still happen.

Other groups of elves were so isolated that they never knew either court ever existed. These include the Once-Elves like Varn and his family, who were enslaved by Laroth in the underworld and then escaped to found their kingdom in the sunless Shadowed Vale. These are specifically stated as being no more closely related to the Svartalfar than the Ljosalfar, but their environment lead then to be dark haired and pale like the Svartalfar. I suspect they probably even more Svartalfar-looking than the Svartalfar, since the Dark Elves were just nocturnal but the Once Elves lived their whole lives without sunlight, moonlight, or starlight.

(Not particularly relevant, but the independent elves that worshipped Bhall changed even more. I believe these are now called Goblins)

Lightelblackelves?

It'd never work!

(Though seriously, I imagine the difference is rather small, on a biological level - no larger than that between humans of slightly different colours, making grey elves quite the possibility, and probably not uncommon during times of peaceful coexistence.

After the break, though? Depends on how the conflict is treated on an ideological level - is it simply a clash of conflicting viewpoints, or do they use (alleged or real) race differences to justify it? If it's simply opposing viewpoints, I can see both the black and light elves accepting and appreciating members from the enemy camp changing sides.)

I wouldnt assume their biological differences are very big either. Of course the Svartalfar tend to lighter skin and darker hair. But the biggest difference is in style and dress more than physical traits (we will play that up in the unit models because we want easily recognizable units, but I wouldnt imagien then to be that diverse in practice).

The more obvious "Ljosvaltalfar" was disregarded, it seems.

Not to mention wrong.

Using the power of modern Scandinavian languages:
Ljos = Light
Svart = Black
Alf = Elf
-ar = Plural ending

(Svalt = Starvation)

It is also better if you can't tell them apart without a scorecard. If the Light/Dark Elves are color-coded for your convienence, it rules out a lot of game or plot possibilities. "Hmm ... silver hair, coal-black skin, blood red eyes, wears black leather with spikes and skulls ... AH HA! A Dark Elf and thus perfectly fine for me to kill!" On the other hand, if a Dark Elf with an appropriate change of clothing can pass herself of as Asphrodel, the friendly and helpful Wood Elven healer, it makes it more challenging to find the real evildoers. (And heck, maybe Asphrodel was a Dark Elf to begin with. That's what sleeper agents are for, and it seems like the Svartalfar are sneaky and smart enough to use them.)

Not to mention wrong.

Using the power of modern Scandinavian languages:
Ljos = Light
Svart = Black
Alf = Elf
-ar = Plural ending

(Svalt = Starvation)

Blargh, it was a typo. >.<

Yes, they come from Old Norse, I think. Possibly via Icelandic or Faroese. The Svartalfar being essentially dwarves in Norse mythology, and the Ljosalfar being more elfy elves.

Top Bottom