LK124, Persia, Monarchy, standard Great Plains, Epic speed.

Still no strat discussion? :sleep::whipped:

Well, I feel like I'm a bit of a sloppy player when it comes to direction in the game, so I wouldn't mind hearing others thoughts on strategies.. primarily, to build libraries and settlers, research alphabet and then trade up the missed techs, or to get a quick army together now that iron is online and knock Qin off, considering how close he is.

Or both.

I haven't thought much on long term planning. Right now I am simply worrying about getting the easy land. We have a nice site to the east. IIRC we can get a nice silver site in the west. While the land looks ugly, I thought there were some flood plains. Gold, gems, and silver with forges keeps us happy for a long time.

In the spirit of cooperation, I submit two alternative locations for our third city. Both are at our eastern border:

1) the first location would be the standard spot for most player: the tile exactly in the middle of the 2 cows and stone. This spot has the advantage not to block any tiles but lose the possibility to harvest the wheat and the incense.

2) the second location is exactly one tile north: this tile allows you to harvest the 2 cows, the wheat, the incense and the stone. However, we lose 3 tiles in our exploitation radius (due to the map border), effectily hindering the long term potential of that city.

I vote for the second location. The selection criterias should weight more in favor of the potential tiles yield than the total number of tiles we can exploit. Also, once the tiles are improved by worker, the wheat will produce 5 food, the stone 5 shield and the cows 3 food/2 shield each, for a total of 10 shield and 13 food (with the city square), and that for a 4 population city: not bad at all. This could rapidly become our unit producing city, leaving our capital available to build wonder and buildings. It's good strategy not to rely on your capital to produce units, imho. Our second city at our southern border doesn't have a good shield producing capacity, it has more potential for gold/research with enough cottage along the river in the long term.

What do you think?

I also recommend we research pottery soon in order to surround our southern city with cottage in order to become a research/gold center.

Can you do up a dot map? I can't visualize the spots you are talking about.

By the resources you are referring to, I assume you mean east instead of west, as in the first pic in post 15, which I think is a good spot.

The post Sweetacshon refers to makes it clear about the area being referred to. I generally have a problem judging the maps without gridlines on. With being at the edge of the map, this is the rare exception that I can make a call without the lines.

I agree on city location #2. I have hit the point where I don't mine having a few dead tiles for a more powerfull short-term city. This location already looks like a potential location for Heroic Epic. It won't hit full power until civil service and some northern irrigation, but it will still be nice before then.

I don't understand the education link to cottage the southern city comment? How do those to items relate?

For mid-term plans, I want the silver and flood plains city to the west, and to get enough military to take out the barb city to the east of location #2.

made the correction in the original post. sorry about the errors. education is the tech used in the fall from heaven mod ;)

so our short term goal are:
1) settle the city in location #2
2) reinforce the area in preparation for an assault on the barb city on our eastern border. 5-6 swordmans (with city raider promotions) should do the job nicely against 3 archers.
3) concurrently, plan to settle the western area in order to get control of silver ressource

We need to prioritize option 2 or 3. Both are worthwhile objective but one should be accomplished first. I prefer #2 because it will expand our empire in a ressource rich area along a river and we need to build more military unit anyway as a deferrent against other AI. If our military is too weak, one of them is bound to attack us.

DarthCycle said:
so our short term goals are:
1) Settle the city in location #2
2) Reinforce the area in preparation for an assault on the barb city on our eastern border. 5-6 swordsmen (with city raider promotions) should do the job nicely against 3 archers.
3) Concurrently, plan to settle the western area in order to get control of silver resource

We need to prioritize option 2 or 3. Both are worthwhile objective but one should be accomplished first. I prefer #2 because it will expand our empire in a resource rich area along a river and we need to build more military unit anyway as a deterrent against other AI. If our military is too weak, one of them is bound to attack us.

In this case I feel pretty safe with 2, then 3. The silver city should be far enough away that the AIs ignore it for short time. The barb city will see the AI attention first. I still want that silver relatively soon, as having all 3 metals that a forge doubles will do wonders for our happiness cap.

It is now 1630 BC, and the new administration has taken office to rule our empire for this term. let's see what we can do.

Our current statut is precarious. We are dead last in terms of power with only one military unit per city, 2 warriors wandering the land acting as scout and a single scout.

A barbarian city at our southern border already mounts no less than 3 archers units . We have no intelligence on the barbarian city at our eastern border. We shall try to remedy this lack of information soon.

Our short term agenda: finish the construction of our settler and found a city between Persepolis and the unknown barbarian city. Fortify our overall position should then be our 2nd priority, security should be a concern and our current national security profile is very weak. Warrior unit are now obsolete in cities with barracks and the cheapest unit (axeman or spearman) would take 4 turns to build in our capital. We would be in no position to quickly repel an invasion.

Turn 1-1600 BC: our warrior unit has completed its recon mission: Tartar, the barbarian city west of our capital mounts 3 archers for defense. We are surrounded by archers it seems.

Our worker in Persepolis will now begin to build farm on the flood plain. With so many ressource in the vicinity of our capital, this will balance the luxury and food production ratio. Our other worker is ordered to come back north. He will be more usefull there to help harvest the ressource for our soon to be city.

Turn 2-1570 BC: An experienced saladin unit is seen venturing close to our border. With its current promotion profile, it isn't a great scouting unit. However, it would be a fearsome defender on a city with hills.
LK124 BC-1570 saladin archer.JPG

Our scout spots a barbarian warrior, but he is able to evade contact by moving onto a hill

Turn 4-1510 BC: Saladin proposes an open border agreement. Surely, he wants to map our territory with its archer unit. We still accept. This is an opportunity to enhance our relation with them and perhaps have contact with their religion.

Our settler is now ready in Persepolis. We go for swordsman. I fear conflict with the barbarian at Tartar is unavoidable, and that territory will be of much use to our cause long term.

Turn 6-1450 BC: it is now the turn of Alexander to propose an open border agreement. We also accept.

Turn 7-1420 BC: the word is out it seems, and Montezuma also proposes an open border agreement. We don't like his face, but we also accept
LK124 BC-1420 montezume open border agreement.JPG

Another surprise; budhism spreads in our land! We currently know none of the religious tech, so I don't convert in order not to antagonize our neighbors, and there is no gain to do so anyway in the short term. However, we need to think about what to do about it at some point: research the religion tech and convert, or continue our current (obvious) research effort toward literature? Feedback is required.
LK124 BC-1420 budhism spread.JPG

Lastly, we have founded our 3rd city: Susa. Barrack is chosen since this will most definitively become our production center for units.

Turn 8-1390 BC: Pasargadae, our southern city has finished producing its barrack. Our next unit is swordsman. We have an army to build. This screenshot shows how enticing the territory around Tartar is. Almost as good as our capital.
LK124 BC-1390 juicy barb city.JPG

Turn 10-1330 BC: Our first swordsman is built in our capital: city raider is chosen for its promotion. How do you think we'll use this unit anyway :) Same unit in the production queue.

Next turns are pretty uneventfull.

So now is the time for the next administration, our term is finished.

In conclusion:
- our military buildup for the attack on Tartar is going well; 2 unit produced, 2 under way. 6 swordsman should be adequate in order to conquer the city.
- we should seriously consider researching masonry soon in order to harvest stone
- we should also consider researching the wheel in order to link our 3rd city to our network and facilitate our troop movement.

View attachment 142881

Summary:

Planned national wonders:
Heroic Epic -
Globe Theater -
Wall Street -
Oxford -
Forbidden Palace -
National Epic -
Iron Works -

==============

Another surprise; Buddhism spreads in our land! We currently know none of the religious tech, so I don't convert in order not to antagonize our neighbors, and there is no gain to do so anyway in the short term. However, we need to think about what to do about it at some point: research the religion tech and convert, or continue our current (obvious) research effort toward literature? Feedback is required.
My vote is to continue toward literature. I don't want a religion until we are dealing from a position of military strength. That means our cities have more then cardboard cutouts for defenders.

our military buildup for the attack on Tartar is going well
I also want to get some defensive units built. Warriors are trash to defend against barbs showing up. We need to get some axes in our cities also.

Signed up:
LKendter (on deck)
Strauss
Sweetacshon
DarthCycle
Sanabas (currently playing)

Our win target is open for debate.

Remember 15 peace / 10 war turns per round. STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours to complete.

The below is my proposed site for the silver. With 4 flood plains tiles we should be able to get a lot of those hills on-line, and between the river, dyes and silver get some income.

1180BC: All looks good
1150BC: Persepolis CR sword-->sword
1120BC: Confucianism is founded in a distant land
1090BC: It was Qin, he converts to confucianism
Move next to Tartar, they only have 1 archer. :D
1060BC: Pasargardae CR sword-->worker
Move 2nd sword next to Tartar
1030BC: Persepolis CR sword-->settler
First sword loses 75% combat, 2nd wins 100% combat, and we capture Tartar, and get 53 gold. It will have 4 cows, horse and iron once the borders expand
1000BC: Promote sword to CR2
985BC: There is a hut on the eastern border of the map, between two barb cities, but it is guarded by an archer, so I can't get our scout in.

970BC: Turn research up to 100% for 1 turn to finish alphabet
955BC: Research alpahbet, turn off research for 1 turn, to trade for literature prereqs.
Sailing to Asoka for Mysticism
Sailing + Writing to Alex for Wheel, Archery, Masonry

940BC: Iron Working to Asoka for Meditation & Pottery
Iron Working to Huayna for Polytheism
Turn research back up to 90% on literature.

We still have an Alphabet monopoly, and we still have writing, polytheism, etc to trade around. Monotheism & Priesthood will be available next turn for trade.

We're very short of workers, especially now that we can road.

The save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/53201/LK124_BC-0940.Civ4SavedGame

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/1898/LK124_BC-0700.zip

940 BC
My number one worry is military. It is still really pathetic. I agree 2 workers are horrid with 4 cities, and a 5th coming up.

At the same time we need to grow our cities. I swap Tartar to a granary.

925 BC
(IT) Monty demands cows, and gets them. We are just too weak to argue.
The oracle was finished and a far away land founding Taoism. There is a killer civ out there!

880 BC
(IT) Qin offers open borders, and I accept.

865 BC
(IT) I have my limits, and refuse to give Asoka alphabet.

850 BC
(IT) We lost our scout that found a barb archer.

835 BC
Arbela is found at the silver and dye location.
(IT) Mediation is so cheap that I give it to Huayna as asked for.

790 BC
(IT) Ouch, I just realized Persepolis lacks a library. I start one right now.

775 BC
(IT) Monty declares war on Asoka.

=======================

Summary:

Planned national wonders:
Heroic Epic -
Globe Theater -
Wall Street -
Oxford -
Forbidden Palace -
National Epic -
Iron Works -

==============

My current worry is the tech-trading cap. With trading for 7 cheap techs, we are going to hit the limit way to soon. We need to avoid any more trading for a while.

The GL has started, and is due in 31 turns.

The worker situation is better at 5, but we could still use more. We are behind on the tile development curve IMHO.
The military is better with 2 axes and 2 immortals added.

Signed up:
LKendter
Strauss (currently playing)
Sweetacshon (on deck)
DarthCycle
Sanabas

Remember 15 peace / 10 war turns per round. STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours to complete.

LKendter said:
My current worry is the tech-trading cap. With trading for 7 cheap techs, we are going to hit the limit way to soon. We need to avoid any more trading for a while.

That's a new one on me, and a quick search didn't turn anything up. What tech-trading cap?

sanabas said:
That's a new one on me, and a quick search didn't turn anything up. What tech-trading cap?

It's the "We fear you are becoming too advanced" message, and occurs when you have traded too much with that civ. Different leaders have different caps.

Well done team. I agree that we need to consolidate our position. We have 5 cities in good spot, let's improve our military (if that's still required, not sure if LKendter has built them or plans for them), harvest our land and grow our current city. A road network is definitively a must as soon as Tartar has 1-2 cows with pasture.

I see we made it for the GL. I'm guessing that work is being done at the capital?

DarthCycle said:
We have 5 cities in good spot, let's improve our military (if that's still required, not sure if LKendter has built them or plans for them), harvest our land and grow our current city.
It is better, but I would still like more. If nothing else, keep the no income stone and wheat city on permanent military duty.

DarthCycle said:
A road network is definitively a must as soon as Tartar has 1-2 cows with pasture.
We already have more of a road-net. With the stone and wheat city goal being military, I linked it to the capitol already to use the iron to continue to build military.

DarthCycle said:
I see we made it for the GL. I'm guessing that work is being done at the capital?
Yes, it was the only city with decent shield potential. I speed up the regular library with a chop, so that is why I was able to start it.

Signed up:
LKendter
Strauss (skipped, past 24 hours)
Sweetacshon (currently playing)
DarthCycle (on deck)
Sanabas

Top Bottom