LK127, Monarch, Vikings, Hub Map

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/1898/LK127_BC-3190.zip

4000 BC
This start is rather dry. There is too much desert by the capitol. The food is good, but the luxuries need a lot of tech to become useful. This looks like a good game to rush to monarchy, as we gain HR and the wines for a luxury and nice income tiles. I sent the scout south, but I didn't see anything that would justify moving. I settled in place.

I start a workboat going max commerce initially. I set a rush toward bronze working, as our capitol is shield poor and we will need the whip to do much with it.

3910 BC
I already found a hut, but all it does is clone our scout.

3760 BC
We are clearly at the north edge of the map.

3670 BC
Now we get boring experience from a hut.

3490 BC
Now we get some gold from a hut.

3460 BC
Did I already get experience?

3430 BC
(IT) A lion almost ate our scout.

3400 BC
Now we get high gold from a hut.

3310 BC
Huts finally pay off, and we get animal husbandry for free. Now I will let the injured scout rest. The good news is I see visible horses.

3250 BC
(IT) Bronze working comes in, and I revolt to slavery.
I can't believe I haven't seen a religion founded message yet. Izzy can't be in this one.

3220 BC
We have no visible copper. :(

3190 BC
I whip the workboat.
I have research on mysticism. However, at this point nothing is really clear. I did get one turn of research done, but that is no biggie.

I am going to turn the game to the next person really early at turn 27. This one needs some ideas for a game plan.

=======================

Summary:

Heroic Epic -
Globe Theater -
Wall Street -
Oxford -
Forbidden Palace -
National Epic -
Iron Works -

Planed wars - None

==============

Signed up:
LKendter
Swiss Pauli (currently playing)
Pigswill (on deck)
Kodii
GreyFox

Remember 15 peace / 10 war turns per round. STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours to complete.

Win target: Open

This is our hub. The lake to the east will be food happy, but we will be challenged for shields there also.

We have a debate if we make a really late try for religion. That was my first thought, and why I put one turn into mysticism. After thinking about it, I think the odds are really low and I don't know if it is worth the effort.
However, with a hub map do we want to rush to masonry and sailing to the great lighthouse. The problem will be getting a city we enough shields to build it.

The other alternative is it the tradition wheel and pottery path to get some cottages now. We also want sailing soon, as that inland like spot with a trading post would be awesome for commerce and food.

Checking in.

The start looks very shield dry, and I'm leaning towards Masonry + Sailing. It might be a worthwhile gambit to go for a religion though. I think it would probably be safe to finish Mysticism, and if no religions are founded yet, then we can go for (most likely) Hinduism.

I don't have time to take a closer look at the save, but when I do, I'll see if I can scout out any possible production cities.

Uninspiring map so far. May get some production to north west; jungle square between sheep hill and rice. Gold is obviously tempting but only one potential food source to support 2 desert hills.

Got it and had a quick look. Made a sign-dot-map. Is there a proper dotmapper on the team? Kodii?

Picked Horse/Cows as city 2. Not the best for food, but horses will cover our defensive military needs. The city would need Mysticism and the Wheel to function as intended, so that's where I'd want to head. Not convinced about an early religion, as our chances must be slim, but if the team decides so I can go max commerce and finish Mysticism, then set a course to grab Buddhism or Hinduism.

For city 3, I'd go for Gold/Corn. Now I know the corn is in Nidaros's BFC, but the idea would be for the cities to share it: i.e. one has it for growth whilst the other works off whip anger on a mine.

Tech wise, I'd favour Myst-(Medi/Poly)-Wheel-Pottery (a wine-cottage at Nidaros would be very tasty)-Iron-Writing-(Medi)-Priest-Monarchy.

@Swiss Pauli - are you playing, or are you waiting for feedback?

Was hoping for feedback but will play early evening CET today, even if none is forthcoming.

Picked Horse/Cows as city 2. Not the best for food, but horses will cover our defensive military needs. The city would need Mysticism and the Wheel to function as intended, so that's where I'd want to head. Not convinced about an early religion, as our chances must be slim, but if the team decides so I can go max commerce and finish Mysticism, then set a course to grab Buddhism or Hinduism.

I don't see any clear long-term plan this game yet, so I will go with the short-term. We need military - period. Horse/Cows as city 2 solves this problem. This city will get a "military only" sign and only work on military except for obelisk for border expansion and a courthouse to help with maintenance and / or building the FP.

No matter what we want mysticism for the obelisk, so we may as well finish research on that.

I do want an early exploring ship. I want to know how good those islands south of Lakeville are.

I see one proposal for GP farm, but none for Globe Theater abuse city. GT has saved my butt more then one game, so for me this is a critical city to plan for. However, I wonder it food absurd Lakeville could cover this purpose.

Hopefully some other team members will offer some feedback today.

I agree with moving City 2 1W. Not only do we get a canal city, but we can work the cattle right away instead of waiting for a border pop.

I agree with moving City 2 1W. Not only do we get a canal city, but we can work the cattle right away instead of waiting for a border pop.

Add my vote for this especially since I popped AH already. Cows are one of my favorite tiles adding food and shields, so I will be very happy to have them on-line. The canal city portion is also appealing. The capital has plenty of food to get the needed worker built.

I haven't see much interesting in religion, so I will concede an early religion. I still love the income from a shrine, but we have a sorta weak start and have to concede something.

We should make a decision about trying for the Great Lighthouse soon.

Thanks for the input. Will fire it up now and shift the city and maybe switch to Wheel as I think we'll want a worker before our settler.

As to religion, lightbulbing Taoism is quite an easy trick in most games.

We need to be a bit careful with GL: from my experience in Beat The Clock, trades routes can be easily blocked by a bit of ice or a barb town in the wrong spot on this type of map. We want early Sailing anyway, so I'd still reckon we might well get the GL.

Decided to go with worker techs, so we learnt the wheel and are three turns from Pottery; Mysticism can be polished off whilst we train our settler. A worker has just been whipped and there a warrior queued up with some hammers invested. We had our southern scout eaten by a lion.

We met two AI, both probably based to our west:

Hinduism and Buddhism FIDL. If we'd plumped for Myst-Poly we'd have missed out (turn 10), but Myst-Medi would have got us Buddhism (max commerce).

Got it. Had a look.

Techwise we need agric, sailing, mysticism. Don't need mysticism until we have a second city so need to build settler first, don't need sailing till we've built settler either so probably go agric, myst, sailing.

Buildwise go for settler straight away? Are we likely to encounter barbs by 2000bc? Probably, which would argue in favour of warrior before settler.

Tricky map indeed.

Here is a dotmap based on what Swiss Pauli put together.

Red dot is first, then probably the green dot. The latter can probably build the GL.

Quiet set. 15 turns of peace.

Edited Highlights

2620bc. Worker-warrior.

2590. Warrior-WB (grow city to 3). Pottery-Agric.

2410bc. City pop3, start settler.

2320bc. Agric-Mysticism.

2200bc End of set. 3 turns from mysticism, 12 turns from settler (7 with whipping). Barbs are wandering. Scout still alive and explored southwards:

Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/90414/LK127_BC-2200.CivWarlordsSave

I like Kodii's revised dot-map. We don't need a tightly packed civilisation. Maybe put blue dot north of cows to snag the second gold.

2200bc End of set. 3 turns from mysticism, 12 turns from settler (7 with whipping). Barbs are wandering. Scout still alive and explored southwards:
Whip that sucker! We should always have whip anger in the capital with it being all food.
Plus I really want to get city #2 started. We need to be able to produce military.

Summary:

Heroic Epic -
Globe Theater -
Wall Street -
Oxford -
Forbidden Palace -
National Epic -
Iron Works -

Planed wars - None

==============

Signed up:
LKendter
Swiss Pauli
Pigswill
Kodii (currently playing)
GreyFox (on deck)

Remember 15 peace / 10 war turns per round. STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours to complete.

Win target: Open

Top Bottom