LK148 - WM, farewell to Greece

Guys, I'm going back into the hospital. I might be having some complications. Pretty sure I'll be ok, but I think you should just skip me until further notice.

@Todd - sorry to hear that.

Do you have anything to report from this turn set?

ROSTER:
LKendter
Todd Marshall (just played) anything played?
Greebley (up)
CKS (on deck)

Not enough played to report. I had a crazy amount of real life things to do this week. I was going to do the heavy playing today, which I might have been able to do anyway the way the day has gone, but this morning I didn't know that.

I've just got incisions that aren't healing properly they think. They are going to do some stuff. We'll see where I'm at monday.

ARGGG - I won't have access with the PC that has the save until Sunday night. I will post the correct save them.

1450 AD attached

I will be able to play each evening but will likely not get more than a turn done as the turns take a while to play. That means I will finish on the weekend.

The Suez city is definitely a good idea. I was looking at the islands and the difference between the deity game is profound. Most islands are not settled even now. I will look into building boats as those that are settled are by civs we want to get rid of and eliminate flip risks.

I haven't checked yet if we have size 3 armies. If we don't, I will keep the next few to size 3 so they fit on our current boats.

Looks like I will finish a bit earlier - either tomorrow or Thursday. I played late (probably too late) tonight and haven't started another war after Egypt. I am up to 1490 and with the prebuild I started, Hoover is 9 turns away. I also got no leaders, so I Boosted Tatu to build the FP in 11-13 turns.

Preturn: Looks pretty good. I switched a town to a settler in 2 turns for Suez, and Delphi to Palace for eventual Hoover as it has a river.

Tatu might be a good town for the FP, but may also have too much food. Its at the right distance away and has plains for +3 shield squares, and 3 wheat within its territory. It has 7 flood plains, but at size 12 it can work the two wheated flood plains and a lot of 3 shield plains.

Found at least one army with only 3 units. Decide to rush a boat foir 180 gold to start on Indian Islands.

Use the 4 unmoved Armies that are not size 3 to capture Thebes.

Send a stack of Egyptian Boats to 1 hp using our Cannon. Move a few more to England to bombard a boat up there.

IBT: Armies suppres Thebes resistance. No attacks Landing of one Cav next to Megara in England.

1455 AD: Bombard Landed Cav to bring it to 1 hp and kill it with the Knight. I also upgrade that Knight to a Cav. Its not even elite. Build road to Thebes.

MM Delphi and the eventual Hoover from +2 food to -2. Food is at max so it can stay at -2 until Hoover is built.

Kill 3 Rifles in Memphis with our Rifles and capture it.
Attack Hieraconopolis and capture the city. The second army attack loses 13 hp leaving us with just 2.
Capture Heliopolis as well.
Final 2 armies Capture Avaris which gives us Leo's.

Landed 3 unit Army on an Indian Island.

IBT: Traded for Electricity for Sanitation and 148 gpt and regot the Spices from Australia for Gunpowder and Education.

1460 AD: Abandon Egyptian Front to build Suez

Killed 2 Rifles in Indian island town but they have at least one Rifle and Longbow left. We are down to 4 hp so hop back onto the boat and back into town to heal fully.

Giza is distance 3 so it takes 4 Cav Armies to capture.

Attack Elephantine but Armies are healing and its 3 away so we don't have enough to capture it.

IBT: We get Sci method.

1465 AD: Switch to TOE, I had forgotten that its less shields than sufferage. If I had switched in the IBT we could have gotten it then. As it is we will get it next turn. Set science to 0 and Atomic Theory as our next tech.

Easily capture Elephantine with an Army. Capture Alexandria with 2 more Armies and get Knights Templar.

Abydos is 3 away, but only has 2 defenders so falls to 2 more Armies.
Asyut's 3 defenders fall to 2 more Armies.
Buto has 2 Armies (including a Knight one) onto the mountain next to it.
Apolton is build in North Africa to get us closer to the Westmost Egyptian town of Edfu.
A Knights army does well and takes out 2 armies in Pythom leaving a Longbow on top.
Byblos falls to a single Army with only 2 defenders.
This allows us to attack Pythom Longbow with our lone Elite Cavalry.
Edfu at distance 3 even with the new town is attacked with our last 2 non-healing armies. It has only 2 defenders and falls.

We now have elimanted the Northwest Egyptian cities. 3 remain in the Southeast. One has a mountain that we can road to,but there is currently a Zulu unit on the mountain. If its still occupied it will be difficult to capture the final city next turn.

Rushed a few libraries. We are getting extra cash with the turn of 0% science.

IBT: A ship is sunk by a Privateer.

1470 AD: Buto falls to the Armies next to it. I realize this may be another way to get to the last city. I attack via Buto and capture it. It was defended by Cavalry but required Cav armies because it was 3 away. Capture Pi-Ramses with a single army leaving only Lisht. It is surrounded by Zulu and Songhai Cavalry and only has Cavalry defending it. We capture it and Egypt is gone.

Our 3 unit Army is healed so we drop it off. We have a second Galleon now with a Rifle and Cannon. Unfortunately, China has grabbed the only non-jungle so we can't land the Cannon.

Other armies are healing with only 2 not needing it. I send them after Persia in Siberia by going above China.

Trades: Not mentioning the small gold amounts or maps, just the gpt or Lux
Get Dyes and 275 gpt from Argentina for Steam and Communism.
Electricity gets us Silks and 9 gpt. The Silks are otherwise expensive and we are now up several techs.,
We could ally China vs the Persians.
Zulu will also trade 278 gpt for Electricity.

Use some of our gold to rush our cheap Libraries where a border expansion would help.

Hoover dam is in 13 turns. Rep Parts is 11 turns.

IBT: China attacks Indian city with Rifle and Rider, but just promote Defender without doing damage.
Indian Longbow Attacks our Army.

1475 AD: Kill the Rifle on in the Indian city, but now our size 3 Army is so injured it retreats back to heal again. Move the Rifle to clear terrain and add the Cannon. I will consider Cavalry and more regular units next turn.

Attacked Indian town Bengel that was SE of Egypt.

Auto-destroyed Persian town of New Sardis in Siberia using an Army.

Spend down to 1187 gold to rush libraries in Egyptian lands and on other borders. BTW we are currently at +608 gpt at 100% science.

1480 AD: Attack and Capture Bengel from India. I have been working on Tatu for the FP since I am not sure when it can be rushed. It is down to 29 turns. I will see how many it can down to total and decide if we can build it by hand.

There is a sizable encroachment of Songhai and Zulu troop who I believe are trying to cross our lands.

IBT: Madras flips to India

1485 AD: Persian town of Sidon is destroyed.

1490 AD: Madras is recaptured.
Tatu will build the FP in about 11-12 turns (its 13 but hoover will make it less)
Capture Khandahar and Ura from Persia.
Punjab was Captured - an Island city owned by India.

IBT: Persia declares war on China for some reason.

1495 AD: Persian town of Borazjan captured.

IBT Bangalore deposes us.

1500 AD: Recapture Bangalore.
Capture Behinstun from Persia
Capture Carsadda from Persia.
Attacked a Indian Galleon and red-line it

Notes:
India has one more city and we have 3 Galleon and a Frigate that will be able to drop off troops next turn.. However there are two Galleons we can see. One is near England and is redlined. Another is off the coast of Africa near Bengal. I was thinking they might have Settlers so I start hurrying a few nearby Frigate in case they do.

For Persia we are picking off cities in Siberia and building a road/rail around to the far side of China. Whenever the chinese war starts we can decide if we want to keep them or not. When we have finished we will have rails there and can attack China from behind.

Songhai is waltzing through our lands and getting in our way. They are at war with Persia. We could declare war and pick off most of their Cavalry once its fully in our lands (some is on a mountain under Rifles.

If we do fight we also have the option of waiting for Rep Parts and Infantry. This is in 4 turns away.

I have been concentrating on building Rifles since Infantry will cost more when we get them. We have some Cavalry and Armies near the capitol. The Cannon and Trebs are near Sparta.

Hoover is in 6 turns. To shave off a turn I grabbed squares from Sparta that it will want back. Readadjust Sparta and Delphi when Hoover finishes.

The FP is 11 turns in Tatu. Note this town seems totally corrupt as hiring 5 policemen gave us no benefit. It therefore far enough away to be of real benefit. Note that its slightly negative food, but should finish the FP before starving. With a Hospital is should grow quickly as it has massive food potential even with plains maxed on shields. I would build that next.

Addendum: I accidentally hit enter and went to the next turn. Apologies on that, but I didn't save at the end of last turn to reload. I was planning on checking the cities but didn't get a chance. They may need adjusting.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Todd Marshall (skip?)
Greebley (just played)
CKS (up)

Things sound good. That is a lovely green blob growing in the center of the map.

I think a war with Songhai would be the way to go. Looking at trades we have 1 more turn of getting 276 gpt from them and some deals for resources that can now be cancelled. So next turn make sure you cancel all the deals and then start the war. Use our trebs and cannon to reduce the HP of their units and we should be able to take out all their Cavalry and only have to deal with what they produce each turn. For some attacks, we can use the conscript rifles vs 1 hp Cav. This usually gives a regular rifle if it wins. I feel a regular is a much better defender than conscript, so I like doing this when I can. We have several conscript as I drafted from some size 12 cities.

Note that we have sanitation and can start building hospitals for bigger cities. I haven't built any yet.

I saw a message about the Iron Works. The city that can build it can only grow to size 2/3 so it isn't worth building there. I searched for other spots and if we removed Pasargadae and built a city S-SE from that city we build on a hill with 7 plains squares to support 7 or so hill squares, which even with moderate corruption would still make a decent shield city with a factory, courthouse, etc (possibly rushed). I can't say for sure its worth the gold, but it could be gotten to 45-50 shields as a max (would need rushed Factory, courthouse, police, hospital, market (for happiness), worker merges to reach max size of 16, plus (16) completely improved squares to reach 30+ shields to build Iron Works in 9-10 turns. To build a building each turn but avoid the double cost, you can disband 5 outdated Catapult or Trebs - I sometimes like this better than rushing a Worker first.
I not sure this is worth an extra Cavalry every other turn - I have done things like this as an interesting side project myself. I guess it really depends on how long the game lasts and whether you have the cash to spare for it. So I am not saying we should do it, but more offering a possible suggestion to consider.
I do think it may be worth at least starting on even if we don't do the extreme of getting it up and running in 16 turns by at least replacing Pasargadae with a new town - then if we have the cash/workers in the future we have reduced the cost.

We could also peel some workers and merge then right into the IW town. That should get the size up quickly.

I have no issue with disbanding a few pults - they are pretty much out of date at this point. Even at the peak of cleaning out junk I didn't need all of them.

War with the Songhai sounds good to me. I'll start that next turn and replace Pasargadae with a new IronWorks town.

A quick update: I'm about halfway through. India will be a pain, because China is camped on their doorstep so we can't land. The Songhai have folded and I expect they will be gone by the end of my turns.

After finishing off our landmass, I'd like to head for North America. At least it is mostly roaded.

I'm continuing on; war turns have gone slower than I anticipated, as trying to find good paths to our targets has taken a bunch of time.

The Songhai are gone, Hoover Dam is finished, and Ta-Tu has the FP. Our railroad through Siberia reaches everything but the last towns we acquired from Persia.

I'm looking at China or Zululand for our next target. Both are giving us some cash for a few more turns, but I don't think waiting is worth delaying war, and I plan on declaring on whoever has the better roads.

I have some extra time this afternoon reserved for playing, so I hope to finish tonight. Otherwise tomorrow should do it.

Of the war targets, I prefer the Zulu after deals are done. Taking them out will make our front a lot simpler.

At this point I am in no rush to get the game. After tonight (limited time), my next possible day to play is Sunday. That day is not guaranteed to have much time.
I am unsure of Todd's availability to play at the moment. If Todd can swap and take the game after CKS that would work the best. If not, I'll take the game and let it sit a bit.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Todd Marshall (skip?)
Greebley (just played)
CKS (up)

The Zulu are giving us more money, for longer, and they have no roads in the northern part of their lands. China is mostly connected by roads, so we'll be able to move more quickly.

We could take them both on at the same time, easily, though I won't do that.

We are at war with China. They have a few units left in our lands. They are down to 9 cities; it will take a couple of turns to reach all of them. When China dies we'll be able to land on India's island and get rid of them.

I've been making some roads to Zululand. These AI haven't been roading at all.

Turn 1:
Can't land by Dacca; Chinese pikes are there.
NE of the coal is better - more plains and a cow.
Sink Indian galleon by England.
Start some settlers, rail.
IBT: Indian Frigate dies; Indians land near ??

Turn 2:
Cancel deals with Songhai and declare war.
Conscript rifles vs redlined cavs: 13 wins, 2 losses.
Armies remove 10 rifles, 3 muskets, 1 MDI, 1 sword, 1 cav.
Cavs kill 3 MDI, 3 muskets, 1 sword.
MDI kills longbow.
Erifle kills sword.
Kill 2 rifles, destroy Jinjian, which I'd thought had non-Songhai culture.
Kill 2 rifles, take Zariqum.

Send settler to new iron works town. Rail.

IBT: Some Songhai motion. Indian MDI suicides. Zulu and Argentina make peace.

Turn 3:
Build Iron Works and some other towns.
Kill loose units: cav, 2 rifles
Kill 2 muskets, take Herat.
Kill 3 rifles, take Katsina.
Kill 4 rifles, take El-Amarna, 2 cannons.
Kill 2 rifles, longbow, take Busa.

IBT: Frigate sinks our frigate, cav kills knight army in city, cav dies to cav in city. America declares on Zulu. Zulu start Universal Suffrage. India drops some troops. We learn Replaceable Parts, start The Corporation.

Turn 4:
Kill loose units: 2 rifles, longbow
Kill 3 rifles, take Agadez.
Kill 2 rifles, longbow, take Gwandu, worker, cat.
Kill 3 rifles, take Walata, 2 cats.
Kill 2 rifles, take Arwan, cat. Get a leader. Turn Ta-Tu build into university which will complete this IBT; will rush FP.
Kill 1 rifle, lose 1 cav at Timbuktu.
Kill a frigate, lose a frigate.

IBT: Venezuela and Zulu ally vs America. Argentina and China ally vs Brazil and Sioux. Persia offers 4 towns for peace. I decline.

Turn 5:
Kill loose units: 3 rifles, MDI, longbow.
Kill 3 rifles, take Segu.
Kill 3 rifles, take Jenne.
Kill 2 rifles and a longbow, take Timbuktu and a cat.
Kill 3 rifles, take Sokoto, killing a boat.
Kill 2 rifles at Gao.
Kill 2 rifles, take Bunyan. Make peace with Persia for all four Siberian towns, as China is about to start razing them. No Persian towns have any significant flip risk.
IBT: Trade embargo ends, Zulu and Argentina ally vs Aztecs, Forbidden Palace completes, Hoover Dam completes, Venezuela establishes an embassy.

Turn 6
Kill 3 rifles, take Hombori.
Kill 3 rifles, longbow, take Gao.
Kill 2 rifles, take Kumbi Saleh and a cannon.
Kill 2 rifles, take Nioro.
Kill 3 rifles, take Diara, Songhai are gone.
Move a bit and rail a lot. MM some.
IBT: Venezuela and China ally vs Persia. A ton of units move through Beijing.

Turn 7:
Trade Communism to Aztecs for 109 g + 15 gpt. Trade education to Brasil for 12 gpt.
Declare on China.
Kill 20 rifles, 4 pikes, 2 swords, 2 MDI, 1 spear in Beijing. I guess they didn't all move through the city.
IBT: China and America sign a trade embargo against us.

Turn 8:
At Beijing: 6 rifles, 1 pike, 1 MDI, take city and 3 trebs.
Kill 3 rifles, take Canton.
Loose Units: 2 spears, 5 swords, 3 longbows, 1 pike. Get two leaders - armies.
At Shanghai: kill 4 rifles, lose a full health knight army to a regular rifle.
sink a galleon.
IBT: Rifle dies promoting our rifle to elite. Lots of rifles running around. Aztecs declare on Venezuela.

Turn 9:
Loose units: Kill 9 rifles, longbow, 2 pikes, 3 spears, sword, MDI. Lose cav, rifle, infantry.
Bomb Xinjian, kill 3 rifles, take city and 1 treb.
Bomb Chittagong, kill 2 rifles and a boat, take city.
Kill 4 rifles, take Shanghai, and Smith's. Our gpt jumps by about 150.
Kill 3 rifles, longbow, take Nanking and 2 trebs.
Kill 3 rifles, take Shantung and a treb.
Kill 2 rifles, take Chengdu and a treb.
Kill 2 rifles, take Tatung.
IBT: Learn the Corporation. Rifle dies attacking us. Canton flips.

Turn 10:
Loose units: Kill 14 rifles, 4 longbows, 3 swords, 2 MDI, 1 rider, 2 spears, 1 warrior, 4 pikes. Lose infantry, cav, rifle.
Kill 2 rifles at Hyderabad.
Kill 2 rifles, take Lahore and a cannon.
Kill 2 rifles, take Brandenburg and a treb.
Kill 2 rifles, take Besancon and a treb.
Kill 3 rifles, take Kaifeng.
Kill 3 rifles, take Macao.
Kill 2 rifles, retake Canton.

Attachments

• LK148-1550 ADb.SAV
    767.8 KB · Views: 192
Top Bottom