1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK150 - WM, Indonesia again

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Sep 8, 2013.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Civ fanatics email is still WAY behind. I got a notice that was days old.
    My gut says I've played my last turn. We are up to 57%, and I'm sure we still have some borders to expand in oddball spaces.

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Northern Pike (just played)
    Greebley (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I have got it. Going for the US sounds good to me so I will likely follow that plan.

3. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I might consider Peace with Australia and Argentina in this situation - especially if Australia starts bombarding home cities with Bombers. Possibly trade for missing resources or pull Argentina into the American war as an ally.

Do we have many Australian cities that could flip if I did this? Any with more than one Australian?

Also I always thought that straight up peace where neither side has per turn stuff and you don't gain anything from the AI, then you can break it without waiting 20 turns. i.e. pausing war for a few years with no benefit to you can be broken (I don't think it hurts your rep either).

I would be more likely to make peace with the two if I can re-declare war by simply choosing peace for peace and nothing else in the deal.

Any opinions on all this?

4. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I can't look at the position right now, but basically we have very little Australian population, in unimportant tundra towns, so that factor needn't keep us from making peace if you think that's the best course. Certainly Australia is bombing Padang quite a lot.

I've always considered that even an equal-terms peace treaty is an absolute obligation for twenty turns, unless we can trick the AI civ into declaring on us. But really it's a question of what the house rule is for this particular series, so it's LK's call.

5. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

IBT: Moved the Bombers near America where I will attack. Rushed a transport.
    1560 AD: Decided to go for Peace with Australia and Argentina. PIcked up Amphibious Assault and Rocketry plus the Luxuries. Got a bunch of cash and gpt. Cash used to rush Temples and Transports and a Battleship. Ships are launched and moving toward America.
    1565 AD: A few more rushes. Move closer to America.
    IBT: Battleship sinks our Battleship.
    1570:Landing of some tanks next to New Orleans.
    1575 AD: Bombard New Orleans with Bombers and Artillery. It is now size 1 (was size 12 when I started 2 turns ago). With redlined troops a Tank can easily capure it.
    Los Angeles got a lot of Bomber bombing and so has only 1 redlined Infantry. Build 2 towns to advance our lines and we can capture Buffalo after red-lining the troops
    Some tanks move on.
    I realize I didn't bring over enough Settlers which will slow things slightly
    Start merging workers. I think merging with bigger cities is more popupation for the 66% but can't remember. I start Hospitals in any case for merging.
    We are at 58% Land and Population (up 4 from start I think). Also stop building workers. We have so many that won't even make it over. Even after the first batch went over we had 61 and I may end up merging some of those as well if we are short in population when we hit 66%
    Our beachhead

IBT: Our cities are too well Defended as America doesn't send any troops our way.
    AD 1580: Build Samarin to get closer to New York which is size 28 and outside the Tundra.
    Capture Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Miami with Tanks that start toward them last turn. Baltimore gets us close enough to Bombard and Capture San Diego.
    New York is reachable by Cavalry so I investigate the city. It has 4 infantry and 2 other units as well as 4 Artillery. This is more than the Cavalry Armies can kill in a turn. Since its a row of forest and then a row of Plains, my normal units and Artillery can move into the forest. The Tanks will be able to attack injured Infantry next turn.
    I make a mistake with some Bombers as I Rebase them at the start of the turn. Bombers are useful if you move them at the end of the round (so they are near the next cities to attack) and attack at the start. Especially useful is if you can lessen the number of defenders of farther away cities (armies don't get multiple attacks so its one army per defender. This allows Bombers to have meaningful attacks every other turn.
    IBT: See fighting between the AI. This includes Sioux entering America towards us and America attacking it, so our two enemies are fighting everyone including each other.
    We start getting bombardment from American Bombers.
    AD 1585 AD: Our Settler count is increased by 12 giving us enough for now. We have 24 more in a turn or two. That leaves a set of 26 without boats (yet) that may never go anywhere.
    Bombard New York with Artillery and Bombers. I then capture it using Tanks with one retreat no losses.
    Build the city Between to as there is American territory all around New York.
    Attack Atlanta with our Tank Armies moved forward last turn and capture it.
    New York has the Great Lighthouse and Sistine's Chapel. Sistines Chapel could be useful, but we haven't gone for culture this game so I don't think we have a single Cathedral, nor are we in need of building them. So I place two settlers and Abandon New York to build Wallace and Gromit.
    This allows us to Bombard Washington. We then attack New York with a mix of Tanks and Tank Armies for the loss of 3 Tanks (no retreats).
    Washington has JS Bach's which is useful. Going to try to keep it. It will likely flip soon, but maybe then I can kill off some population with Bombers to reduce its size.
    We then attack Seattle with a mix of Tank Armies and Tanks, losing one Tank and gaining a leader = Tank Army.
    This allows us to take out St. Louis with our armies.
    Capture Denver with some Armies that already moved toward it last turn. San Fransisco influence is in the way so I use my long range Cavalry Armies to capture it.
    Chicago is reachable and will close off our borders . I use most of the remaining Tank Armies To capture the city.
    Final armies do the Pillaging and Placement needed to seal off the border.
    Do some trades with our allies to pick up more gpt.
    I think I will stop here. We are at 61% land and 64% Population.
    Notes:
    I haven't been replacing cities. Next player can choose to do so next turn. We have 6 settlers (2 fortified and can be used this turn) on the square where the airfield is (way up north) and the large number of workers that were airlifted this turn. The big towns were captured this turn so shouldn't flip.
    There are some Cavalry armies next to the island above our landing. I think America has bombers up there so these can deal with them and those cities.
    We now have a good bit of gold (resource trade gave us more than usual). I suggest a huge rush of Transports to get the rest of the Armies and Settlers over. You could also get the Artillery over. I have rushed some myself previous turns, but not this turn as I left the decision on where and when to the next player.
    We do have a stack of boats near Greenland that can go back and pick stuff up but the round trip will mean getting there about the same time as the win.
    I advanced a Settler onto the HIll southward of Washington. Build the city to Advance south net turn.
    The 24 Settlers can make it to the other side with a single boat switch if you wish. There are still settlers left from the 12.
    I left units I couldn't get across yet where NP left them. I hit space on one to show where.
    The workers are on Asia closest to our capitol. I moved over 61 this turn, which may be enough. Note that adding 2 workers to a city and then rushing a Settler is a viable strategy. We have hundreds of workers left. All of Asia is railed but there are some squares that need mines or irrigation - its so late in the game it didn't seem worth it.
    There are too many cities for me to go through for revolts. Civ Assist II stopped working on me so it should be checked if you have it. I looked via F1 and it seemed ok. We also still have the 10% lux due to this. You can lower it to 0 if you don't mind finding the cities that need fixing. (I don't think it will be alot, but this near the end it really makes little difference)
    I was building hospitals to absorb workers, but we don't really need it now as population went way up with the large captured cities.
    Greenland has one Cavalry Army guarding it. You may want some infantry. There are some below the Airfields, but the current airfields are used. Still it is easy to make more with so many workers.
    Oh I don't it will matter but one alliance has Peace mixed in the brew. Killing off America or Sioux might trigger a war. I didn't think we would be killing either before the win.

6. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

It occurred to me when looking at the picture that Cincinnati could flip. I forget what I left in the city. If this is a worry then you can replace it. There are 2 fortified settlers on the airfield 2 NW of New Bandar. I don't think Buffalo can flip as it has too many units. I should have starved to size 1 though. I wanted to keep as it had the Barracks.

7. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Quick report - I've played 2 turns, and we're at 63% area, 67% population. Another 2-3 turns should do it :)

8. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Great round (Greebley) and great news (Tusker). :thumbsup:

9. LKendter

Does anybody know if the newest version of CCM is out yet?

I don't know whether to wait for Rat45, or start LK151 with random starting locations. With all the WM maps I've done, I've never done random locations before. We lose the advantage of knowing where everyone is.

And great news in America. ;)

10. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I remember there was an issue with Keshiks including the aqua-keshik. Was there another issue we spotted? I can't remember now....

11. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

We found out that Bangkas can't sink. I was about to say that's hardly a vital issue, but now I wonder: would the AI playing Indonesia know they can't sink, and send them straight across the Pacific for absurdly early contact with the Americas?

12. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I've just asked about the timing in the CCM thread in the modding forum. Civinator has made a lot of progress recently, but OTOH CCM 2 isn't done yet.

13. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Yes, the non-sinking Bankgka's were the other issue I was remembering.

14. LKendter

That is what I've been using to post pictures here. Any suggestions for a new, FREE, picture sharing site?

@Elephantium - any updates?

@All - wait for CCM 2, or play random location WM?

15. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I use Photobucket. I'm not enthusiastic about it but it's adequate for a free service. AFAIK it's free as a basic feature, not just free for a trial period.

Civinator still has plenty of work to do on CCM 2 and doesn't know when it will be playable, so we shouldn't wait on that development. Unless someone has a new idea for CCM Classic, another WM game looks best.

I'd prefer not to rush right into LK151, though, since my next travel unavailability will run from February 9 to March 5, and it's hard to feel engaged in a game whose formative stage one misses. In the ideal case--for me ;)--we'd wait until I could play the last round of the first cycle. But if LK decides it's important to get started before that, I'll understand.

16. LKendter

That was image shack. I've been using it for years, and all of a sudden this crap pops up. Somebody decided to change there business model on me.

I suspect we are going idle for awhile. :(
    There aren't many of us left on the Civ3 forums. I'm still amazed the older versions of Civ have any playtime left. Of course, if they didn't cluster Civ5 so badly...

17. Elephantium

It's been slow going, but America is relegated to the tundra, plus a city in Cuba. Next up: A big push into Sioux lands.

18. LKendter

Well I guessed wrong - I thought America would be enough.

19. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ya, I think I would prefer waiting for NP to get back in March.

20. Elephantium

Okay, I've had this way too long. This week isn't looking good for play-time, so I'll hand it off.

America bombs some of our cities from their island bases. Negligible damage.

Cincinnati deposes us.
    So does San Diego

Turn 1 - Arty redlines defender, and 3rd Tank Army kills it to retake San Diego!
    Bombers redline and sink a couple of American ships; our BBs also take out a Carrier and a DD.

We kill a stack of Sioux Tanks by San Fran, no losses
    Hunkpapa falls easily; three Tank armies and a Cav Army cooperate to raze the city.

Found New Samarinda as a tactical town near Chicago.
    3 Tanks kill defenders
    19th Cav Army retreats doing no damage...
    Lose eTank redlining a TOW Inf
    Seventh Cav Army kills Inf, redlined TOW, and another Inf.
    City razed.

IBT - Sioux bomb us a bit and make an attack on San Fran. They lose one Tank but kill one of ours in the process.
    America does a lot of bombing. Not a huge deal.
    They also kill one of our Tanks by Boston.

Turn 2 (1595AD) - We bomb down the defenders of Kansas City...
    Cav Army kills cInf
    Cav Army kills redlined Inf and seizes the city!

Detroit:
    Arty redlines defenders; Cav Army kills them and razes the city.

Boston:
    eTank retreats
    eTank retreats
    eTank kills Inf
    eTank dies
    eTank retreats
    vTank dies
    vTank kills Inf
    vTank kills Inf, promotes
    vTank kills Inf, promotes
    vTank kills Inf
    eTank kills Tank, razes city

We found 3 tactical towns...

Teotihuacan:
    Arty redlines several defenders
    Lose Tank to a Tank :(
    Lose Tank vs. Inf
    Tank Army kills 2 Inf
    2nd Tank Army kills Inf and Tank
    eTank kills Inf, razes city

Tlaxcala:
    11th Tank Army kills Inf
    3rd Tank Army kills Infx2. City razed.

Houston:
    9th Tank Army, 5th Tank Army (barely...redlined when it wins), 6th Tank Army, 7th Tank Army, 12th Tank Army all kill Infs.
    City razed.

Tlacopan:
    3 Tanks are needed to kill the defenders and raze the city.

Xochicalco:
    3 Tanks retreat
    Tank kills Inf
    Tank dies
    Tank kills Inf
    Tank dies to TOW
    Tank kills TOW
    8th Tank Army kills 2 Inf and razes the city! :D

Little Bighorn:
    Tank Army kills Inf
    Tank Army kills redlined Tank and seizes the city!

First Cav Army kills a stray Tank
    ...and narrowly kills Inf at Bear Butte

IBT -

Sioux bomb our Army next to Bear Butte
    They also attack our Tank Army at Little Bighorn, losing 2 Tanks before killing it and retaking the city :(
    Next on the hit list is San Francisco; they lose one Tank there
    ...and another before killing our Tank near New X

America bombs Kansas City and the Army near New Pekanbaru.

Turn 3 (1600 AD):

Third Battle of Little Bighorn:
    Tank Army kills 2 Tanks and retakes the city!

Abandon Luwuk in the Middle East to found a tactical city near Tenochtitlan.
    ...where we lose one Tank taking out the enemy. Tenochtitlan razed.
    Tactical city of Take Calix founded...
    eTank gets a Leader! It rushes Battlefield Medicine.
    We lose another Tank on Calix though.

Bear Butte:
    Cav Army kills 1 Inf and dies after redlining the second :cry:
    19th Cav Army kills 1 Inf
    2nd Tank Army kills Inf
    1st Tank Army kills Inf
    7th Tank Army kills Inf
    6th Tank Army kills Tank
    17th Cav Army kills rInf and redlined Inf and redlined Tank
    19th kills redlined Tank
    9th Tank Army kills the last Tank and seizes the city.

Attached Files: