1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK152 - the weak Venezuela

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

The shape of the world is of course always the same with LK's map, but the bonuses, resources, and luxuries are randomized for each start as usual. To play exactly this game you'd have to either ask LK to post the initial position or pick it up at the 2350 BC save already posted.

2. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

lurker's comment:
    We got pottery, that let us get a granary in the capitol. IMO the trade off is well worth it. We have pitifully little food sources, and +5 food with granary (with shrinking a bit in size) is well worth it.

I randomize natural resources via the Civ editor before each game to avoid knowing where the rubber, coal, etc are.

3. LKendter

So far we've spotted no food anywhere else except painful jungle burns. I really don't like tying up the capitol with warriors.

Especially if we are going to sacrifice some potential city sites to focus on the Great Library.

I would like to see nothing but workers and settler from the capitol for at least 50 turns. We suck for food.

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

lurker's comment: Just popping in to say that reading your civ3 SG's was very entertaining! Keep up the good work!

5. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Thanks--always good to hear from the lurkers. :cool:

6. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

CB, I assume you've noticed this thead--could we interest you in playing? It's going to be a real challenge, and it would be good to have you on the team.

7. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I've played. We've founded our Wonder city and a canal city in Central America, which will send a curragh towards Asia in a couple of turns. I'll post in time for Tusker to play this evening.

8. LKendter

Hopefully one the AI can get past. I want wars between the north and south Americas to weaken them.

9. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I think NP's plan for second city will work. We could have both bananas in a city 3 SE of the GLib city which would produce workers in Monarchy quite well.

10. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

11. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

2350 (0): I won't build a barracks in Caracas, but we won't be able to avoid building a warrior or two there. We have to take calculated risks in the opening, but three cities and one warrior would be a bit much. :D

We cut the tech rate to 10%.

The trade for Bronze Working that LK mentions has already been made.

Caracas settler --> warrior.

2310 (1): Our exploring warrior spots a pink border in the Andes.

2270 (2): We meet the Argentines (seven cities), and we're able to trade them Pottery, 3 gpt, and 59 gold for Alphabet.

We send Alphabet, 1 gpt, and 18 gold to the Aztecs for The Wheel.

Unfortunately, The Wheel only brings us to "doubt" on Masonry (with the Sioux), so the sequence ends there.

Caracas warrior --> settler.

2230 (3): Nothing much.

2190 (4): We're beaten to Mysticism (on our forty-turn run) by the Americans. It may still have value when we discover it.

We found our Wonder city, Cumana, on the hill three tiles SE of Caracas.

2150 (5): We discover Mysticism.

2110 (6): We send Mysticism, 4 gpt, and 11 gold to the Aztecs for Masonry.

Our first forest chop outside Cumana reveals BG.

Caracas settler --> worker.

2070 (7): Zzzz….

2030 (8): Caracas worker --> settler, Cumana temple (lumberjacked) --> warrior.

1990 (9): {Crickets chirping}

1950 (10): No more trades are likely until we locate the Brazilians, and so far we can't--very frustrating.

Cumana warrior (lumberjacked) --> PALACE PRE-BUILD.

1910 (11): We spot a Brazilan warrior...and the Brazilians are broke and behind us in tech, so it's a useless contact for now. :rolleyes: They have five cities.

1870 (12): We found Barinas, a canal city in Central America, and begin construction of a curragh there.

12. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

13. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Taking heroic measures to scrape up every penny, we're able to purchase Writing from Argentina for Mysticism, Masonry, 13 gpt, and 5 gold. We then trade Writing to America for Iron Working and 162 gold, and we're fully caught up in (New World) tech.

There's an iron source five tiles (diagonally) from the capital, although the city we'll build to claim it will require a lot of jungle burns to be productive. We can't see horses at all, not even in North America.

1830 (13): Caracas settler --> warrior.

1790 (14): The Americans and the Aztecs now have HBR. There's nothing we can do about it for the moment.

1750 (15): We send Iron Working to Argentina for 6 gpt, 115 gold, and a worker, easing the financial crunch caused by our expenditure on Writing. Under other circumstances we might have tried holding on to IW until the Argentines came up with a new tech, but they could make contact with the civs to our north by curragh at any time; so I decide we have to get value for IW while we can, and while the worker is available as a bonus.

14. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Welcome to the jungle:

15. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Our new settler is heading for 1 on the screenshot, which obviously is an unattractive site in the short term. But it has some promise in the long term; it claims iron; and we need to settle forward, since the Brazilians are certainly coming.

After that we might settle 2, particularly if some of the tiles we can't see there are forest rather than jungle. We certainly want to settle 3, but there's less threat to that site so the others should come first.

Edit: Greebley is right that having both bananas in the radius of one city will be very useful eventually, so we can certainly use his location for 2 (one tile west) instead of mine.

We’re close to the point where Caracas can alternate producing workers (two turns) and settlers (five turns, two at size five and three at size six, with MM necessary almost every turn) exclusively. If we need to build one more warrior there after the present one, that’s all right.

Developing Cumana for the Great Library drive is the highest priority for our workers, so the two there now shouldn’t go elsewhere under any circumstances.

Please bear in mind that we absolutely must not chop the one remaining forest in Cumana's city radius, or the Great Library pre-build will become useless due to tainted shields. I've re-named the city (after the screenshot) to emphasize this point. ;)

Every second worker we produce now should be merged into Cumana. We can’t wait for the town to reach size seven by natural growth.

After Barinhas completes its curragh and sends it up the Pacific coast, it should produce two warriors, since we'd like to stop building them in Caracas. After that I'd suggest a second curragh, then a third curragh and a temple in some order. The main point is that there'll be several promising directions for curraghs to take once they reach Asia, so we don't want to send just one.

We'll have to manage a modest budget deficit for a while, but it was worth it to get Writing and begin our forty-turn run to Literature.

16. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

The only issue I see with Greebley's two-banana city is that then it isn't coastal...but I guess that's not a huge deal.

17. LKendter

Summary:
    I agree 100% with multiple ships toward Asia from canal city. We want one to head to Australia (possible backwards), one along Siberia (hit European civs), and along the coast toward India.

I didn’t think we would be researching literature so soon. :goodjob:

I agree with another warrior or two from canal city. We don’t have very good map knowledge to the south. There should be two more luxuries if the game is typical roll, and I would hate to miss a chance to snag one.

Brazil being backwards could still help us. If we can snag some workers, or cash from techs it will help. They also are challenged with lots of jungle.

With all the jungle work turns are going to be the killer. Any place we can sneak in a worker helps. We want roads connecting our cities, especially the Great Library city. As that grows, I don’t want to get slaughtered in luxury cost.

ROSTER:

LKendter
    Elephantium (up)
    Northern Pike (just played, swapped)
    Greebley(on deck)
    Room for one more

18. Elephantium

Pre-turn:

Caracas, size 5 (+5fpt, +6spt, +10cpt, Warrior in 1)
    Cumana, size 2 (+2fpt, +4spt, +4cpt, Palace in 73)
    Barinas, size 1 (+1fpt, +3spt, +1cpt, Curragh in 2)

We have 4 Warriors, one exploring. A fifth is about to be built as MP in Caracas.

We have 3 Workers and 1 Slave, all building Roads due in 2 turns.

One Settler is going for the Hill near the Iron.

Plans:

Build Worker-Settler-Worker in Caracas
    Build 2 Warriors in Barinas after the Curragh completes. Or should I switch to Warrior immediately?
    Continue improving Cumana; connect it to Caracas by road.

19. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Definitely let the curragh complete; we need more warriors but there's no crisis.

20. Elephantium

Argentina has Map Making!
    Argentina has 50g
    Brazil has 17g (and is down IW, Writing, Myst)
    America has 58g and Math and HBR.
    Sioux have 56g
    Aztecs have 109g and HBR

We can't afford to buy any of the three techs...I'm not sure about selling Writing to Brazil for 17g in hopes of brokering a deal. I'm thinking of waiting a few turns, but I'd like team input.