1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK152 - the weak Venezuela

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Sep 17, 2014.

1. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Well, progress is slow thanks to the tundra and many units we face. Modern armor surely should help. We have no tanks to upgrade though as all were used for armies, which we have plenty and plenty still empty. There were a lot of targets, I think I got around 10 MGLs or so during my round.

2. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

I will keep the game to next Tuesday. After that, I have 5 days in a row without playing time.

I have gotten thru turn 3 ready to hit enter. The Russian stacks are brutal with mech inf covering tanks. We lost one city, but after that I got things somewhat stable. Way too many stack behind our lines, and Persia no longer has troops near us. The focus is all on us from Russia.

I wiped one Indian city, and slaughtered a lot of their troops. So far they won't talk to us. I would rather have them hitting Russia.

3. LKendter

1610 AD (0)
    The diplomatic situation is total insanity.

At just 35.9% territory, we have a long way to go. Russia is the only other civ above 10%. 5.3% is unclaimed, so I really want those temples in Siberia up and running.

We have meaningless wars going on I hope to clear. Indonesia and the Zulu are a waste of time. The only question is will the alliance structure getting hurt. We will need at least 20 turns just to get through Russia.
    I missed the headache with our German ally turning on us. That one shouldn't hurt with them tied up dealing Russia.

Wake up all the worker stacks scattered out the Americas, and put them to Alaska. I then find a lot of forest still in the Americas.
    The reports read like we ran out of chopping projects. I must have misread something. Plus we have a crap load of forest to chop overseas to help get temples.

I wake up our lone settler in America, and send him to the island that had a Russia city. It is a few tiles to claim.

I am searching for junk to abandon in America, to ensure we have enough cities to rebuild in Asia. Even with a 2014 PC it takes a while to clear a city.
    I find several to immediately abandon, and several to go in the next couple of turns. Some of them I get a unit from before abandoning.

I can tell I am going to spend a lot of time just in city review. I don't understand a lot of the settler builds in cities that have zero hope of reaching size 3.
    I barely start the review, and realize next turn will require another review since modern armor cost most shields. Plus I suspect hydro plants may make difference in some cities. I am surprised none have been built yet.

Just trying to figure out where our front line is has me frazzled. I cannot deal with this front, so I am going to concentrate on clearing the back lines. I can't even figure out where to make the staging zone.

The military front is too much, so I am not going to make an attempt to track deaths. I will only report highlights.
    [end of session 1]

I begin NPs suggestion of switching to artillery in a lot of cities. Some bombers are nice to deal with ships and distance, but we will run out of bases for air.

A lot of builds in Asia are being switched to temple. There are some annoying gaps. In addition, more cities may need to go in the future. I want wide borders to be able to cover that.
    (IT) The stupid wars continue with the Sioux declaring on Germany.
    France and Persia embargo us.
    The Sioux and Mongolia ally vs. Indonesia.

We get a landing by Bingo.
    A second nation lands by Bingo.
    A third nation lands by Bingo.
    We also get landing in Greeland.

Our armies in Asia to far head are bombed.

I have got to start building flak / fighters. We get hit a lot by air.

We lost our fleet by Iceland. I was already planning to recall after Iceland. Now it looks like our units may be trapped there.

Our next tech is computers for mech inf.
    (IT) Our supply of ivory and gems are gone.

4. LKendter

1615 AD (1)
    Synthetic Fibers arrived just in time. I give it to Australia to get our two resources back along with $216/T and $1050.

My ability to reinforce Greenland is really hurt by the fact on the wrong side of the ocean.

BLECK - the AI bombed an army in a city to just 2 HP. We almost lost a tank army.

Our first modern armor wipes that annoying infantry in America. I free up 9 infantry I want for Asia.

Ice Cube is founded. Honolulu is founded.

Walk Like Woman Infantry gives us yet another army.

The 5 strong units landing in Greenland is beaten. I just had enough artillery to weaken it. LLanero army vs. mech inf isn't fun.
    [end of session 2]

I cleared out everything by Bingo. Persia was a particular pain since they landed in a barricade.
    I wipe some small Persian stacks by Ayrag.

We have 15 empty armies, and it will take a long time to get enough to fill them up. I am going to put some elite* LLanero into more armies, as they still help versus civs other than Russia (and even lower level Russians).

I wipe the Indian stack next to Multi War.

Lack of bombard units is hurting, so I am going to burn our cash down to 1,000 to upgrade cannons to artillery.
    I knock an Indian stack by Garbriel down to 1 unit.

I build another infantry army. I can't afford to have the 3 Indian stacks join by Multi War. I need traffic control.
    (IT) Totanka was razed to the ground by Russia. I just could not shut down enough stacks.
    We get another landing by Bingo, but it is only one stack.
    India does some lame attacks, giving us more elites on defense.
    Russia beats up Germany in Iceland. Hopefully that lets are armies at least hurt Germany.

5. LKendter

1620 AD (2)
    I try to wipe Germany off of Iceland, but fail. We have one less army. Our bombers where all but useless.

Our armies wipe New Madras off the map. That ends a stray city behind our lines. It isn't enough to get India to talk.
    Lola, L-L-Lola, is founded.

I wipe out the tanks that razed Totanka.

I am forced to let India march even deeper to deal with the two large Russia stacks knowing next turn another town will be in trouble.

Tank armies versus mech infantry in forest isn't fun, but both Gabriel and Pusher are under severe pressure.
    The artillery ran out hitting the stack of 18 tanks, along with a bunch of mech in by Pusher.
    The Gabriel stack also has a lot of tow infantry.

Talked like a man Modern Armor arrives giving another army.

[end of session 3]

But I can't understand Llanero arrives giving another army.

The stack with tanks by Pusher is gone. We lost a LLanero army hitting the Pusher stack.
    The stack with tanks by Gabriel is gone. There were several red line scares, but kept our armies.

Babylon and Australia now have space flight. The time pressure is building up. Australia would be torture to stop, but at least they want rubber and aluminum. We need to keep both of them in war mode somehow.

[end of session 4]
    (IT) Zululand declares on Germany.
    The Babylon / Sioux embargo ends. Just to started it again. :rotfl:

A few Indian troops attack Multi War. I don't know why, but the rest of them retreat.
    Another landing occurs by Bingo.
    A few Russian Tow attack Pusher, but get nowhere.

Our army in Iceland is almost bombed out of existence. This landing was a bridge to far. I wish I had those armies in Asia where I am getting overloaded.

I don't know what the AI has against Some Island City, but it is again hit by propaganda.

6. LKendter

1625 AD (3)
    [end of session 5]

Once again I clear out the landing by Bingo. Not sure why the AI is so obsessed on the city.

This time I only have one tough Russian stack to clear by Gabriel. It uses up all of artillery to weaken it, but it is gone.
    In addition, I have a Indian stack of infantry overload. When you have to scroll to see the full stack, isn't fun to deal with. All of the remaining tank armies hit to this to start to thin the stack.

The most frustrating part of chopping for shields, is when it turns out the spot was already harvested.

[end of session 6]
    (IT) Zululand and Russia sign a peace treaty.
    India and Russia ally vs. France.
    Our army in Iceland dies.
    Another landing occurs in Greenland.
    The Russian's are building the Internet. :eek:
    We lost our spy in Moscow. :(

7. LKendter

1630 AD (4)
    The landing in Greenland was easy to deal with, since they landed inside bomber range.

I sign peace with Germany even though we get nothing. It gives me one less civ to deal with troops in the future.
    Indian still refuses to talk. If I could get peace with them, I can get on the offensive.

I red line a modern armor army killing 3 mech infs.
    The SoD by Pusher with a lot of tanks is wiped out.

Pleased to meet you is formed as the front is getting stable.

I don't what is more crazy. How many workers we have, or that fact I don't feel we have enough. I still have a lot of work in America, the chops in Greenland are taking forever, and I badly need more workers in Asia.
    All those units behind our lines ripped up way to many roads / rails.
    (IT) I enjoyed seeing our SAM shoot down an enemy bomber.
    Germany and Persia embargo us.
    Russia starts the Internet in another city.
    Some Island City is again hit by propaganda.

8. LKendter

1635 AD (5)
    Hope You Guessed my Name gives us an army in Greenland. The tons of massive fighting Asia gives nothing, but wiping the small landing gives an army. :rotfl:
    What is confusing you is the nature arrives for another army.

I wipe an Indian stack by Bleeder.
    I shrink the Indian stack on the mountain with our tank armies.
    I wipe an Indian stack by Gabriel.
    Even after this unit slaughter Indian still doesn't want to talk. This is really funny, as my interest in Indian peace has dropped. There threat level is really down.

Of my Game is founded.
    I lost a LLanero army that redlines before taking a single HP of a TOW.

I wipe the small stack by Bingo.
    (IT) We nail some more bombers.
    Russia can't make up its mind, and the Internet is being built again.
    Our army production was sabotaged. :(

9. LKendter

I will see what I can complete over the next three days, and post the save.

Kind of sad when I have more time then expected due to being sick and cancelling plans for the weekend.

10. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Sorry to hear that. Congratulations on your tremendous effort so far. :thumbsup:

11. LKendter

1640 AD (6)
    Quapaw is captured from the Sioux. We get $99 for our trouble.

Hung around St. Petersburg gives us another army.
    Cause I saw it was time for change gives us another army.

The war with Indonesia is mostly phony. I take $150 from him for peace.

Killed czar ministers is founded.
    We auto razed Voronezh (Russian) and we get $57.
    New Tsingtao (Indian) is razed and we get $28.
    Anastasia screamed vain is founded.
    [end of session 7]
    I rode a tank is founded.
    We are nowhere close to the Zulu, so I sign peace and get $250. I then sell them ironclads for their remaining $200, and $7/T.
    It is promptly spend to rush some more units.
    (IT) Indonesia and Persia embargo us.
    Russia and Mongolia sign a peace treaty.
    Germany and Indonesia embargo us.
    We get another landing by Bingo.
    Babylon and Australia ally against the 1 city Sioux. That ends the Babylon and Sioux embargo against us.
    Russia is building the SETI program.
    We catch Persia trying to steal our world map.

12. LKendter

1645 AD (7)
    Held a general's rank is founded.

We clean up the small landing by Bingo.

Ningpo (Russian) is razed for $46 and an artillery piece. At this point, artillery isn't the challenge.

When blitzkrieg raged is founded.

We auto-razed Yangchow for $46. 4 workers were found in the wreckage.

Now that I am on the offensive, I really am hurting for workers in Asia. I need to build railnet to connect our new cities. Tree chopping is now lower on the priority list, and I begin shuttle some workers from America.
    I need to keep a minimum to deal with pollution, but beyond that say hello to the transports.

And the bodies stank is founded.
    I find some Russian units that I wipe out.
    Pleased to meet you gives us another army.

New Shanghai (Indian) is razed.

Hope you guess my name is founded.

[end of session 8]

Macao (Russian) is razed for $46. 2 workers and an artillery piece are gained.

Size 12 Paoting (Russia) is razed for $71 and 6 workers.

Size 1 Xingjian (Russia) is razed for $47. It was nice watching some planes die.

Size 1 Anyang (Indian) is razed for $44.

Size 7 Canton (Russia) is razed for $72, 3 workers, and an artillery piece. It was nice watching some planes die again.

Lack of units is the only thing that stopped the offensive.

Russia losing 5 cities had to hurt a bit. ;)
    (IT) One-City Sioux declares on Mongolia.
    Indian now dials up for peace, when I see no immediate need.
    Mongolia and France make peace. Mongolia also makes peace with Zululand.

Sometimes recovering in a shield or two really helps. A courthouse in Coro got us another 2-turn modern army city.

Once again Russia is building the Internet. I wonder why the target city keeps bouncing.

There was another landing in Greenland.

13. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I'm enjoying the "Sympathy for the Devil" references, and it's good to be taking Russian cities now. :goodjob:

14. LKendter

1645 AD (8)
    The Greenland landing was only 2 units from Russia, and easy to wipe out.

BLEH - the last Sioux city is blocked by a Indian cavarly. I trip an MPP, and France is at war with us again.
    I bombard the Indian cavalry, and hope that will cause the Sioux to attack.
    At least this does let me finally get rid of those 4 obsolete French units wandering our territory. They were junk, but were creating a traffic jam.

Size 2 Hutag (Russian) is razed for $47.

I kill an Indian settler with guard that landed at last turn’s rubble.

Size 10 Shanghai (Russian) is razed for $60 and 4 workers.

Size 1 Chengdu (Russian) is razed for $40.

Ah, what's puzzling you is founded.
    Is the nature of my game is founded.
    oh yeah is founded.
    I watched with glee is founded.
    While your kings is founded.
    and queeens is founded.
    Fought for ten decades is founded.
    For the gods they made is founded.
    I shouted out is founded.

I wipe a small stack by the bodies stank.

Size 4 Tsingtao (Russian) is razed for $41

[end of session 9]

Size 11 Nanking (Russian) is razed for $62 and 5 workers.
    I suffer a lame loss with a pretty healthy Llanero army dying to a tank in the open.
    The next army kills the tank, and the settler hiding underneath.
    I also wipe a small Indian tank stack.

Size 5 Tientsin (Russian) is razed for $41 and 2 workers.
    This eliminates the Russian presence in China and the eastern part of India.

I give Babylon iron and saltpeter for $1294. I hate to see AIs with a block of cash. That block of cash finally lets me complete upgrading of cannon to artillery.

Size 1 New Canton (Russian) is razed for $42.
    Size 1 Kaifeng (Russian) is razed for $42.

Who killed the Kennedys is founded.
    When after all is founded.
    It was you and me is founded.

All of a sudden the large stack of settlers seems puny.

New Nanking (Russian) is razed for $42. I got to watch a jet fighter blow up.
    Let me please is founded.

Uliastay is razed for $43. The price went up a buck. ;)

introduce myself is founded.

[end of session 10]

15. LKendter

Our new southern front with the great wall of China. The lake and ocean make for nice anchor points.
    IMO the remaining territory isn't worth, as this is NOT our prime front. I don't want to tie up a bunch of defenders versus India. We need to concentrate on Russia.

16. LKendter

The northern front with core Russian and Persian cities in the distance. I hope the distance will be shorter by the end of the next set. This is our only goal for the moment, as break some of this cities will leave Russia to weak to launch on us.

17. LKendter

Summary:

We are at 39.6% percent of land. We still have a while to go. I am not worried about population. As we razed those large core cities that will flip to our favor fast.

My only worry for a loss is a Russian space launch. I took a decent chunk of their stuff in Siberia to slow them down, but we need to get to the core.

We have a decent number of 2 or 3 turn modern armor cities. There are still a few hydro plants coming up to get more of the core at max production. The game will go long enough to justify the plants IMHO.

I have drafted like crazy, and for our low risk border towns dropping drafted TOW into them. I am saving the good stuff for the front line towns. I think our border defenses are good, but it would not hurt to double check.

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Elephantium (up)
    Northern Pike (indefinite skip)
    Greebley (on deck)
    ThERat

18. LKendter

This would help.

Attached Files:

19. LKendter

Settlers suddenly became a problem at the end. I didn't mention in the above summary that I rushed a bunch of them last turn.

Don't' be afraid to keep drafting our junk cities hard. We only have ~20 conscripts left. I cannot recall if mech inf cost a 2nd pop point, but if so, that is another reason to draft like crazy before mechs arrive.

We need to keep the worker from America to Asia going. Last turn a lot got tied up on roads for conquests.

20. LKendter

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Elephantium (up) << overdue for got it.
    Northern Pike (indefinite skip)
    Greebley (on deck)
    ThERat