1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK152 - the weak Venezuela

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Sep 17, 2014.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

I prefer the revolt before the war. It should be less painful at the moment with a small empire. Every city we gain increases the odds of another two of revolt. I don't want to spend 20+ turns at war with a weaker government.
    No matter what we will be in monarchy during my set even if I have to sign peace.

The Sioux have over $300. I would sell them one of our techs. That is too much cash to leave in AI hands especially after the major upgrade. I want to be in position to upgrade again to maces when possible.

What happened to the galley talked about to get the island west of whale town? Is that the galley going the wrong way toward the Caribbean? Please send this ASAP to our canal city. The next settler should be reserved for that city.

Hiring a clown in Don't Chop will let us drop luxury tax to 20%. We can't afford negative cash for one lousy town.

ROSTER:

LKendter (on deck)
    Elephantium
    Northern Pike
    Greebley
    ThERat (up)

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

There is a local galley. Its the one that completed i wasn't going to send it anywhere and its heading south now.

Actually aren't we religious? I think we can handle revolt and war at the same time. I had forgotten that we were. But two turns is nothing and we have our units for the war already.

Edit: we can revolt now and attack next turn. The by the time the AI gets to us we will be in Monarchy

3. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Got it

Plan: Revolt and declare war the following turn. Send a galley with a settler to Galapagos. Trade for more cash.

We will have a lot of unit for a monarchy with few towns I assume. Hence, getting more cities is a must.

4. LKendter

Another reason I want that island spot. I think the whale is in range, and maybe more seafood. It should be a very high commerce spot even if we have to cash rush the harbor to get it started. IIRC it is a two tile island, so we want a warrior blocking the land spot to keep it safe until marines.

5. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Pre-Turn
    Sioux have 367gold, we get it by selling them currency. Since we revolt, there is now no need to adjust lux rate. It will be done
    after the establishment of monarchy.

Revolt and let cities be unhappy for a turn, then get them happy the next.

IT Persia gets Temple of Artemis, Aztecs finish the Great Wall
    Egypt the Hanging Gardens

Turn 1 330BC
    Galley turns round to be able to ship settler to Galapagos

Declare war on Brazil and move the whole stack towards Brazil. I prefer to move in one wave

IT two Brazilian regular swords pass by our stack, we become a monarchy

Turn 2 310BC
    MM to 20% lux, we run a deficit of 7gpt at the moment, need to hire a taxman in the GL city.

Move stack next to Belo Horizonte

meet the Songhai on Iceland (???), no new techs, no gold
    our eastern curragh enters the South China Sea on the way to Singapore

IT Sioux come demanding monarchy, with one war in our hands, I have to cave.
    we defeat a vet sword attack on our stack, there are now 5 Brazilian units on the way to our cities

we get Engineering via new contacts I assume

Turn 3 290BC
    turns out we met Persia and India, so the tech came from India

our western curragh meets Germany in the waters off Iceland
    city attack: 1/3 cats hit, defeat both spears in there and raze the city, we gain 4 slaves

found El Spice on top of the spices

decide to move swords towards the next Brazilian city without cats as roads would be missing
    3 catapults ain't worth the wait

drop lux to 10% and hire a clown in the GL city, we're now running a positive economy

IT Brazil comes with more pillagers, one reg sword attacks our stack and loses redlining our sword
    been lucky so far

the western curragh sank :(

Turn 4 270BC
    move stack next to Recife

bomb two reg swords in the jungle, defeat both, move some units around to face the pillagers

IT :eek:
    Brazil is stronger than expected, 6 swords attack our stack and we go 4:2 in our favor
    more Brazilian units stream in

Turn 5 250BC
    our capital has finished its 3rd settler, it will go on military production for now

defeat a warrior next to El Spice promoting a reg sword
    our leftover stack is not strong enough and goes for a tactical retreat, something I hate, but is the only choice here, the stack has 6 units left, 2 of them red and Recife has at least 3 units in them

IT more units pour in, guess we would need an army to get anywhere here
    two spears land next to two bananas, which just finishes a sword

Turn 6 230BC
    manage to defeat both spears without losses, but El Spice faces quite a few units
    all the catapults are there

go all out to attack, defeat 3 swords and a spear losing a sword

IT defeat the last sword at El Spice on defense

we get feudalism

Turn 7 210BC
    the enemy now concentrates on 3 bananas

the MM has been interrupted by the change of spear to pike...
    upgrade a few units the pikes and maces, this should help

defeat 2/3 warriors next to Three Bananas after bombarding them

I can see that Brazil has whipped their cities to madness as the population is really small now

surprisingly, when I check, Brazil is willing to give up 3 cities for peace

sell Germany currency for 113gold, we might need more to upgrade

IT we have been beaten to Galapagos by Argentina by a turn or so, our galley would have reached next turn :cry:

Turn 8 190BC
    defeat 4 units at Three Bananas
    switch units around to be safe as 2 galleys come from Brazil yet again

trade India feudalism for 33gpt and 57gold

IT Brazil lands a sword next to one banana and revers the attention to El Spice

Turn 9 170BC
    defeat the landed sword

capture a settler pair in our 5th elite attack (no leader still)
    defeat 2 more units in different locations

IT we defeat a sword on defense at El Spice, one more sword is landed
    Argentina comes running with 2 settler pairs

Cathy establishes an embassy for free

Turn 10 150BC
    defeat 2 units in the hinterland, two more swords at three bananas and decide to go for the kill

defeat 4 more units at Three Bananas and the road for Recife is clear once our troops are healed

kill ratio was incredibly good this turn, 3-4 losses for the whole set, just that 7 attempts to leader fish
    didn't work out

I get the feeling that Brazil is now gassed after whipping their land to death
    We should not go for peace but put the continued pressure on them and take over their land
    We might get a lucky break for an army

In the picture there are actually 2 Brazilian settler convoys and hardly any attackers left

Attached Files:

6. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Apologies for the image quality, anyone has a better image uploader than imageshack?

7. LKendter

I gave up on image shack when they wanted me to pay for the service. I've been using the below recently.
    http://s120.photobucket.com/

I'm annoyed we missed the island city. IMO we could have gotten it if we were more aggressive using our first settler and a rushed galley to get it. We lost a good commerce city, something we badly need.

Got it, but not looking forward to the set. It feels like I'm working with too little army. Especially with us lacking fast units.

ROSTER:

LKendter (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Northern Pike
    Greebley
    ThERat

8. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

I like imgur.

LK, want to swap? I'd be happy to prosecute this war under these conditions.

"Hold the line, boys!"

9. LKendter

I probably can't start to Monday night. If you can start the a set on Sunday, go for it.

10. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I don't think, the war will be over in 10 more turns. It will be a long drawn war. We will need to get our capital and the GL city to produce maces.

One Banana looks like a good candidate to churn out workers and settlers once we get the jungle away.

11. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I haven't been able to look at the save yet, but great work against the Brazilian initial rush, clearly. :goodjob:

Yes--now that we have macemen and pikemen against swordsmen and spearmen, it seems unlikely that we'll ever need to grant Brazil peace.

12. ThERat

ThERat Deity

A maceman army would surely help :)

Edit: updated the screenshots so they are actually useful

13. LKendter

:goodjob:

14. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

That galley was from our northmost city and used a tree chop, so it was earlier than expected rather than later. It's hard to know if losing a pop point to get a Galley earlier would be worth it. Usually it wouldn't work out.

Only by sacrificing our Galley heading toward Europe could we have made it.

I don't think Brazil will be bad now that they have used up their initial rush.

15. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

These observations may be out of date if Tusker or LK has started to play, but for the record:

If looks as though we can make one more safe attack around El Spice before hitting Enter, attacking the Brazilian archer with a swordsman and then covering the sword with the elite spearman.

We can get horses and some pennies from America for Engineering. Individual knights aren't an attractive build for this campaign, fought mostly in rough terrain. OTOH, knight armies are better than mace armies in all circumstances. So we might want to make the trade just so that we can stockpile three horsemen, which we'll then upgrade when we have Chivalry and an army.

16. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I didn't make any deal with America as I was worried about a disruption if there is a war with Aztecs. But I guess that would only affect our rep if we deliver them sth on a turn basis.

17. LKendter

Tusker, did you take the swap and start playing? If not, I will start playing tomorrow night. Please let me know.

18. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Tusker, I assume that even though LK is quoting me, the above is addressed to you. ;) LK, please correct me if I'm wrong.

19. LKendter

Fixed the post to be clear for Tusker.

20. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

I haven't started playing, no. Edelweiss took most of my Sunday evening, and I've been busy tonight.